Trip Report Its all fun and games 'til the 2nd emergency room visit

This is a follow-up to the pre-trip report titled "We Were Due"

This is my first attempt at a trip report. But if any trip ever deserved one, it was this one. As a sports junkie I will preview the coming posts as reflecting a trip that had 7 "wins" and 2 "losses".
The wins-
1. Customer Service resort wide (specific examples from Pinocchio Village Haus, POR, and Crystal Palace).
2. Port Orleans Riverside
3. Disney Springs
4. Early Morning Magic Event
5. Park Maintenance (especially Magic Kingdom)
6. Memory Maker
7. Enchanted Tales With Belle

The losses-
1. Hollywood Studios
2. Riverside Mill Foodcourt

The wins were far greater in their impact on our trip. I will go into better detail in the coming posts. I will also attempt to add photos (never done so on this site). Come for the pictures (phrasing) and stay for the emergency room visits. Should be fun!

jharvey

Original Poster
Day 1- MK

Cast of Characters
1. Josh (OP)
2. Brandi (DW of OP)
3. Lawton (DS of OP)
4. Madison (DD8 of OP)
5. Ella (DD4 of OP)
6. Butch (Father of OP)
7. McCall (Sister of OP)
8. Lisa (Mother-in-Law to McCall)
9. Molly ( Niece of OP)
10. Jackson (Nephew of OP)

We flew in the night before and stayed off sight. We took two shuttle buses to Port Orleans on the morning of our first day. This was our first POR stay as we had previously stayed at All-Star Movie and Pop Century (our fav). We dropped our luggage and headed directly to the Magic Kingdom to take part in Early Morning Magic. I scoffed at doing this when it was first announced. But I read a great review on a site I swear buy and bought in. I was able to justify/rationalize the cost by our usual attendance of MNSSHP.

We checked in and we were let in by 7:40am. Our plans were altered by my niece getting sick almost immediately. She has issues with acid reflux whenever she does not have breakfast first thing. So, while everyone headed to the 7DMT I took Molly to Pinocchio Village Haus and fattened her up on donuts, eggs, and bacon. After getting her sea legs back we headed out. Upon exiting, I was met by my DW and DD4. Apparently my 4 year old thought she was ok to ride 7DMT as her first thrill ride. And..... she lost it. She was inconsolable. For the rest of the trip, we had to beg and bribe her to ride anything. I left my wife to deal with this and took Molly and Madison to Peter Pan's Flight and Many Adventures of Pooh.

The cast members at Pinocchio were unbelievable. Several tried to cheer up my terrified daughter. They eventually made her a crown out of stickers and gathered around the table and sang her a modified happy birthday song (not her birthday). They were awesome!

All together, for the morning magic, our group had 3 rides on 7DMT (not me, I'm a coward), 2 Many Adventures of Pooh, and 2 Peter Pan's Flight. In addition, we ate our body weight in breakfast at Pinocchio Village Haus. We also got our first use out of Memory Maker. This was huge for us. We've never taken advantage of PhotoPass before and always relied on photos we took by DCams and cellphones. The ride shots (Tower of Terror especially) were fabulous. As were the shots at meet and greets.

I'm going to try and upload a pic for the first time. The far right is Lisa. McCall is wearing the Ray Bans. Butch is on the far left. Jackson is in his stroller. Lawton is the one rocking the hoodie in Disney World in May. I am the rather large gentleman in the middle of the pic. My wife is to my left (your right). Madison has a bow in her hair. Ella has a death grip on the park map and Molly is the one who appears to have run out of Fs to give.

Last edited:

jharvey

Original Poster
Definitely interested! I hope everyone is alright!
Thanks. We are getting better. Wait til the end of day 2. It gets real really quick. But we survived and POR and Disney as a whole reinforced everything we've always felt the company.

jharvey

Original Poster
Day 1 MK (pictures)-

The abject fear exhibited by my sister and middle child-

MK_MINETRAIN_7693021980_zpsep9rzwxc.jpeg

If you look close enough you can see the moment it became necessary for me to convince my 4 year old that Laugh Floor was not a scary ride-

MK_MINETRAIN_7693021159_zpsea73lb0s.jpeg

Our favorite ride. I would estimate that I've ridden Splash 20+ times and I've never been able to keep my head up on the last drop. Let this picture wash over you. Everyone in the boat is related to me by blood or marriage. You are welcome for the laughs.

MK_SPLASH_7693073131_zpslnqstr1l.jpeg

We did the Anna and Elsa M&G immediately after the morning magic ended. For whatever reason, everyone in this pic looks like they are being held against their will (including Elsa)-

MK_PFTHBLUEA1CHAR_7693032465_zpsnzdltk1d.jpeg

But Anna was AWESOME!

MK_PFTHBLUEA2CHAR_7693031987_zpstotggask.jpeg

jharvey

Original Poster
Day 2- Magic Kingdom

This trip was scheduled to be a 7/6 (evolved into a 8/7 then went screwy from there) with Magic Kingdom bookending the trip. One bit of non-MK news from this day was that we were able to book a Soarin FP+ for our last scheduled day!

Our first day ended with my iPhone telling me I walked just over 13 miles on day one. But with day 2 being our only opportunity for my absolute #1 favorite Disney thing---ROPE DROP- we were back at it early on day two. We used snack credits for breakfast at the Riverside Mill Food Court (along with our refillable mugs). In our mental battle between Pop Century & POR, this was one that was definitely in Pop's favor. The biggest issue, and one that comes into play later, was with the soft drinks. Each Coke dispenser was spitting out flat Cokes. Ever notice you've never seen a flat Coke in a room with a Pepsi at the same time? After our quick breakfast, we headed to the bus and were on our way to the parks. Here is as good a place as any to give a tip of the cap for the installation of the bus time trackers at the bus stops. Overall, bus service was a wash between POR & Pop.

We got to the park in time for rope drop (I think I have pics, will add in another entry). I dont know why, but I take that over anything Disney does. Each year I have a different daughter or niece on my shoulders as we sing along. If you've had multiple jobs in your life. If you've lived in multiple homes. If you've had multiple cars. You know that feeling you sometimes get when someone says the words- work, home, or car. You have that one that is firmly entrenched in your mind's eye. The word home comes up, I usual, for a moment will catch a flicker of a memory from a one bedroom apartment my wife and I first lived in 17 years ago. Well, when I think of, or hear Disney, I think of Rope Drop at Magic Kingdom.

A little after noon we caught the boat to the Wilderness Lodge. I love the Wilderness Lodge. I mean, my "If I win the lottery" resort is the Poly. But the, "When I get the kids out of this house: resort is the Wilderness Lodge. I love everything about this place and the lobby is one of my favorite locations on property. We were there to do lunch at Whispering Canyon. During our last trip a very odd CM bothered McCall so much that I just had to book it again for this trip. Other than the opportunity to be kinda mean to my younger sister, we genuinely like this restaurant. After eating our body weight in ribs, sausages, and potatoes, we decided to take go back to POR for a midday break. Lisa and Butch stayed behind and did.... whatever old people do? I'm thinking Small World, Country Bear, the railroad. The rest of us crashed for three hours.

We returned in time to catch our second and third favorite WDW productions with Celebrate the Magic and Wishes. And all it cost us was having to sit through the Main Street Electrical Parade. Guys, I don't get it. My father loves it. My sister loves it. My wife does not hate it with the proper vigor. Ella, playing the "Daaaaaad... My feet hurt" card really hard enjoyed the show from my shoulders. By 10:45pm we were headed out of the park.

By 11:45pm, we were settled into our beds. Lawton and I shared one bed. Brandi and Ella the other while Madison had the small bed. While in bed we laughed as we heard Jackson (my one year old nephew) yelling in the next room. We are horrible people and knew that Jackson was terrorizing the other room. This is where it gets interesting. We all have a minimum amount of sleep we need to operate. For me it is 5 hours. So, I ask my wife for the time. She said 12:10am, to which I replied, "All right guys, we have to be up in 5 hours and 10 minutes". Within a minute the room was quiet and Madison was already snoring. And then it happened.

At approximately 12:40am, I awoke to Lawton, our first child and only son, in the midst of a grand mal seizure. His mother is epileptic so I have seen three of these in my life. But this one was different, especially considering he had never had one before. I know the drill, don't restrain, don't stick anything in their mouth, roll them on their side so they dont choke. I'm doing that while screaming for help. The best I can describe it was like having an out of body experience. Two minutes into the seizure, with my father on the phone with 911, I remember standing over Lawton and I could see his right eye. It was open and the blood vessels were blowing like a row of dominoes falling. All I remember thinking was, "that's weird" while crying like a fat kid with a skinned knee. A moment later, McCall throws me out of the way and says, "He's not breathing". Sure enough, Law was turning purple. She performed mouth-to-mouth and, like magic, everything settled down. His seizure was over and he was breathing.

Faster than you could imagine, two, followed by four more, EMTs arrived in our room. With the most unbelievably authentic bedside manner, while still maintaining their professionalism, these men had my son checked out and transported the three of us (Law, Brandi, me) to a hospital in Celebration. Within 2 hours we had a CT scan an EKG and a doctor to explain everything to us. The doc said everything looked fine and Law was perfectly healthy. Said if this is his one and only, and unfortunately it would not be, that we could chalk it up to the body just hard re-booting. We headed back to the hotel and watched over our boy as he slept. The next day was a wash as we took the doctor's orders and gave Law 24 hours+ to rest.

Not wanting this one post to drag any longer than necessary, I want to reference a "win" and a "loss" here. Disney, and POR were excellent during this. They followed up with us constantly. Were willing to pay for our cab fare back to the resort (we didnt let them). When we decided to extend our stay an extra day because our rest day prevented us from going to the park, they gave us the extra day free of charge. They were excellent and would be even more so after the next episode after day 5. I will forever speak the praises of POR and of their staff. And yes, we've already sent the War & Peace of thank you e-mails to disney with the names of everyone who went above and beyond for us.

As for the loss, it goes to the foodcourt. As I mentioned earlier, my wife is epileptic. Her trigger is artificial sweeteners of all things. She has to avoid diet drinks, gum, etc. Well, as I also mentioned earlier, we had a problem with flat Cokes, from the dispensers throughout the stay. On day 3, as we were lounging around the resort, the issue with the drinks came back up. Lawton echoed what we said as I tried my luck at the dispenser he had been trying all week. Well, the Coke wasn't flat, it was diet coke. We do not know what his trigger is yet, but best we can tell it is NOT diet coke. But in a time when food allergies are getting the attention they deserve, this should also be monitored.

disneypearl

How scary!! I am glad that Lawton could rest while Disney helped with an extra day. Hopefully Lawton's trigger will be found out quickly in a way that doesn't cause more stress.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
So sorry to hear about Lawton's seizure. That must have been terrifying. As other concerned forum members (above) mentioned, I, too, hope that it will be possible to find out what triggered the seizure. Also, I was glad to hear that the medics were professional and took good care of him.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Super scary and stressful, I can't even imagine!! Hopefully, you will get answers for Lawton's trigger. And, I think you are saying that what you thought was Coke-flat Coke, was actually Diet Coke? Yes, in this day of allergies and labeling, super scary to think that this happened!

On another note, you are hilarious!! That Splash Mountain photo was the best one I've ever seen! It washed over me alright....waves of laughter!!

EvilQueen-T

Sad to hear about your medical issues but way to go to knowing what to do and someone knowing cpr. We had to call 911 on a trip a few years ago too. They are on the ball. I doubt most people realize how often their services are utilized. I was looking at your 7 dwarf and splash mountain pics and laughing out loud then read on and was about to cry for you. What an emotionally exhausting trip this must have been.

jharvey

Original Poster
I hope your little boy is OK and you can find out what's his trigger. So scary!
Thanks for the kind words. Looks like it was a combination of long days and genetics. All things considered, Law appears to be in better shape than we could have hoped for.

jharvey

Original Poster
Super scary and stressful, I can't even imagine!! Hopefully, you will get answers for Lawton's trigger. And, I think you are saying that what you thought was Coke-flat Coke, was actually Diet Coke? Yes, in this day of allergies and labeling, super scary to think that this happened!

On another note, you are hilarious!! That Splash Mountain photo was the best one I've ever seen! It washed over me alright....waves of laughter!!
Thanks. The Splash photo is nothing. Wait till I post the pics from tower of terror! It is worth the price of admission.

jharvey

Original Poster
Sad to hear about your medical issues but way to go to knowing what to do and someone knowing cpr. We had to call 911 on a trip a few years ago too. They are on the ball. I doubt most people realize how often their services are utilized. I was looking at your 7 dwarf and splash mountain pics and laughing out loud then read on and was about to cry for you. What an emotionally exhausting trip this must have been.
It was emotionally exhausting but we survived and it will hopefully just add depth to the memories. thanks.

jharvey

Original Poster
Day 3 & 4- Resort Day & Epcot

The doctor advised giving Law 24 hours of rest. So, after creepily staring at him while he slept, we enjoyed POR. We have never done a resort day. This was a pleasant surprise for us. Up to that point we (Brandi, Law, Mad, and me) were saying "This is good, but I miss Pop Century". Well, in a day we were forced to lounge we were also forced to smell the roses. And let me tell you, Port Orleans Riverside is beautiful. We typically go in for the over the top theming and this lends itself to value resorts. While that is missing from POR, the place is unbelievable. The grounds are immaculate. The lobby and gift shop are top notch. And the employees are tremendous. We were also able to swap our Tusker House reservation (this was our AK day) to one at Boatwrights. First, the obvious + was we had a TS restaurant in house. Second, the resort got Tusker to wave the cancellation fee. I know it was the right thing to do. But when you are dealing with a multi-billion dollar behemoth, right does not always enter the equation.

That evening we went to Disney Springs for about an hour and a half. Law was doing alright and we thought it was worth a try. It was our first experience with the POR boat services. This was our first trip to the Artist Formerly Known as Downtown Disney since September 2013. It was night-and-day different. In 2013 the prevailing theme was neo-classic wall. Everything looked great. We ducked our heads into World of Disney, and a few other shops, but didnt want to push it with Law. Plus, we would be back in a couple of nights for a Splitsville dinner.

Epcot- so every time we go to Epcot we experience torrential rain. We lucked out this time, and not a drop of rain. We did our usual Via Napoli meal and, after a three hour midday break, we knocked two things off of our, "How the heck have we never done this before list". We ate dinner at Sunshine Seasons and watched Illuminations. I cant really explain how we've never watched Illuminations. It was awesome in ways that I will not bother to explain as I am sure everyone here has seen it multiple times. Before posting some pics I will mention a couple of highlights. Via Napoli began speaking to me about 5 hours after lunch. I am not able to go away from homebase. Without being too crude, I was the 6'6 300 pound man causing janitorial staff to reevaluate what brought them to this point. And I was then the 6'6 300 pound walking around with a pink grey goose slush. I was living the dream.

All said and done, we did 14 miles and it was a death march to the buses. Molly (my 5 year old niece) nearly broke. She spent most of her previous trip to WDW on my shoulders. Well, Ella was in the process of breaking me physically and spiritually so that was not an option this time. So as we are walking out Molly is losing it. I can hear her half crying half pleading for "uncle Josh to hold me". McCall was trying to shut that down so I wouldnt have to be the bad guy. But being perfectly ok being the bad guy I couldnt resist saying, "Uncle Josh will hold your hand". The only thing the poor thing heard was "Uncle Josh" and "hold". Having to clarify what I meant was both the best and worst thing I may have ever done.

First up... BAYMAX! I wish I knew if I ever felt as good as Ella appears to feel at this moment.

EPCOT_BIGHERO6CHAR_7695815270_zpsokkoeynn.jpeg

I have an occasional need to be disliked for random irrationally strong stances on inconsequential topics. I HATED Inside Out!

EPCOT_INSIDEOUTCHAR_7695810059_zpsafbdirr4.jpeg

But the kids love it. So...

EPCOT_INSIDEOUTCHAR_7695811329_zps0zgttolh.jpeg

I have a few more Epcot pics, but will save them for a picture dumping ground post.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom