Trip Report It's a trap! (LIVE-ish) ***COMPLETED***

I wish I had seen this sooner

Part 1: In-laws are better than outlaws, right?
  • 3 Nights at Cabana Bay
  • 2 full park days at Universal and maybe partials on the either end.
  • The Cast:
    • MIL
    • SIL
    • and I (BES)
Part 2: Has anyone in this family ever even seen a chicken?
  • 1 night at AKL in a 1 bedroom villa.
  • 6 nights at POP in 2 rooms.
  • 7 days of park hopping
  • The Cast:
    • my parents
    • my younger brother
    • my nephew (who will be 8)
    • and myself

StitchSNK

View attachment 369695
I wish I had seen this sooner

Part 1: In-laws are better than outlaws, right?
  • 3 Nights at Cabana Bay
  • 2 full park days at Universal and maybe partials on the either end.
  • The Cast:
    • MIL
    • SIL
    • and I (BES)
Part 2: Has anyone in this family ever even seen a chicken?
  • 1 night at AKL in a 1 bedroom villa.
  • 6 nights at POP in 2 rooms.
  • 7 days of park hopping
  • The Cast:
    • my parents
    • my younger brother
    • my nephew (who will be 8)
    • and myself

It's here! It's here! I'm so excited to follow along!

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Premium Member
Original Poster
Part One Day 1:

The trek from the hotel bus drop off to a Universal park gate is long. You can read all about it or be told about it but I don’t think it fully sets in until you are passing thru CityWalk.

I could see that realization set in for MIL. Breaks were offered. Stops in gift shops to get some AC were offered. Nope. We pressed on.

We got our park tickets and entered USF.

(Why does Universal do paper park tickets? And why can’t they just have a park ticket/room key together card?)

Made it back to King’s Cross/London area. MIL did sit for a bit. Much offering of beverages and rest. We instead pressed on. SIL chatted with the Knight Bus. Then we entered Diagon Alley.

MIL appeared to like it but it was very apparent to SIL and I that MIL was getting hot/tired.

We suggested that we cool off in Knockturn Alley. Good call.

MIL insisted that we explore more of Diagon Alley together but quickly decided she wanted to sit in a little alley by the creature shop.

(Hot tip the bench at the end of that alley is cool, dark and usually empty. Partially due to people’s aversion to the fake snake in the window🐍)

SIL got MIL ice water and MIL insisted that we leave her in the snake alley and explore so she wouldn’t “feel so guilty.”

We went into the creature shop for just a few minutes and then back to snake alley.

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Part One Day 1:

The trek from the hotel bus drop off to a Universal park gate is long. You can read all about it or be told about it but I don’t think it fully sets in until you are passing thru CityWalk.

I could see that realization set in for MIL. Breaks were offered. Stops in gift shops to get some AC were offered. Nope. We pressed on.

We got our park tickets and entered USF.

(Why does Universal do paper park tickets? And why can’t they just have a park ticket/room key together card?)

Made it back to King’s Cross/London area. MIL did sit for a bit. Much offering of beverages and rest. We instead pressed on. SIL chatted with the Knight Bus. Then we entered Diagon Alley.

MIL appeared to like it but it was very apparent to SIL and I that MIL was getting hot/tired.

We suggested that we cool off in Knockturn Alley. Good call.

MIL insisted that we explore more of Diagon Alley together but quickly decided she wanted to sit in a little alley by the creature shop.

(Hot tip the bench at the end of that alley is cool, dark and usually empty. Partially due to people’s aversion to the fake snake in the window🐍)

SIL got MIL ice water and MIL insisted that we leave her in the snake alley and explore so she wouldn’t “feel so guilty.”

We went into the creature shop for just a few minutes and then back to snake alley.
You must must must get a Fire Whiskey while visiting Harry Potter. It is strong, but soooo good (get an extra cup and share) Granted, I think it is a better cold weather drink but it is really yummy! It has become one of our go to drinks in the fall/winter. I might even make one tonight, it’s a little chilly today.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yikes! Just remember, your WDWMagic friends are virtually behind you giving you the support you need to make it through this trip 😀

Aww thanks! 😍

It's here! It's here! I'm so excited to follow along!

So glad to have you along.

You must must must get a Fire Whiskey while visiting Harry Potter. It is strong, but soooo good (get an extra cup and share) Granted, I think it is a better cold weather drink but it is really yummy! It has become one of our go to drinks in the fall/winter. I might even make one tonight, it’s a little chilly today.

Thanks for the suggestion but

I do love some me some whisky but cinnamon not so much. I did get in a glass of Wizard’s Brew though. Yum!🍺

All I can think of is "oh dear" - hopefully things perk up and your MIL becomes accustomed more to the heat.

Days 2 and 3 have been much better than day 1. I was surprised at the lack of heat coping mechanisms. Especially since she lives in the South and I live in Winterfell.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster
I feel for MIL... I have a hard time with heat as well... but bring cooling towels, drink lots of water....

Oh for sure. She can’t help that. We made so many attempts to make her more comfortable that were declined.

Being stubborn and having a flair for the dramatic is a choice.

She is very focused on appearances and formalities and not wanting to trouble anyone that it ends up causing more trouble in the end. (if that makes any sense)

SIL and I settled in a groove to ‘game’ this system on days 2 and 3.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster
Part One Day 1:

We return to snake alley. MIL is dismayed that we aren’t out exploring more.

We explained that the creature shop wasn’t as fun without her because we are super bad at recalling most creature names.

MIL wanted to know what we were going to do next. She still wasn’t looking great. Again the mention of guilt for holding us back. Again the reassurance that she wasn’t.

SIL suggested Ollivanders. (It was close and indoors. I said that I was interested in a snack soon. White lie. (SIL mentioned in gift shop that MIL barely ate lunch)

We got ice cream first from Florean’s. (I did 1 scoop earl grey and lavender and 1 scoop salted caramel blondie.

We ate on our bench. In our alley. Snake alley.

MIL asked SIL how to spell Bonine as she got out her phone. SIL smartly and loudly said, “Why would you need to google that when you have BES right here?!?”

(It’s kinda of my job to know things about meds. Not hyperbole. That’s my actual job.)

MIL: “Well I realized that Bonine is an antihistamine and I’m not supposed to take those. Because of my heart condition.”

🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

There in snake alley I had to battle the second most powerful Dark Lord- Dr. Google.

I won. Eventually.
  1. no probable professional reason I could fathom
  2. many more likely explanations (heat, lack of food, dehydration, tons more physical activity than usual)
  3. Oh. And... she takes an antihistamine everyday.
She was a little less anxious about it. We were then off to Ollivanders. Much preferred the Diagon Alley location to the Hogsmeade one due to indoor queue. Enjoyed by all.

We started to head out. MIL insisted that SIL and I ride something so she didn’t feel so guilty. Again. The guilt.

SIL and I rode MIB while MIL had ice water in the shade.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster
Part One Day 1:

Finally left park went back to the hotel. MIL insisted that SIL and I go out for dinner. Against medical advice MIL refused all food. In room food (of which she brought a ton) or food brought to her.

(Southerners feel free to disagree but sweet tea is not a food)

SIL and I were too tired to go back out. (I had gotten up at 330am)

We ate at the resort instead. SIL had the chicken chipotle flatbread on my recommendation. I had a bbq chicken sandwich. It was just ok.

Like at lunchtime the dinner workers seemed confused/overwhelmed by people wanting food. 🤷🏻‍♀️

SIL and I had a great chat. About life and our present situation. I love SIL to pieces. 😍 So glad to have her as bonus sibling.

Devised trip system game:
  • Figure out what MIL wants or needs to do.
  • Then one of us will suggest that as what we want to do next.
  • MIL will do it because she thinks it is for us.
Back to the room. MIL feeling better. I stepped out the room to talk to DH. Why? Well I’m sure you can think of some reasons. An additional one... as soon as I can back in the room:

“What’s wrong?!? Is he ok!?!”

I assured her DH was just fine. If I had the convo in the room all tone or facial expression changes would have elicited the okay-ness check. Also DH is a really private person. Likely for reasons you can guess.

We finalized plans for day 2 and went to bed.

Day 1 summary:
Drinks: one mimosa
Hamburgers: 0
Steps: 14,076

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster
Ok. I promise less text, more picture-y, less 😞from now on.

Part One Day 2 morning:

I had the pullout couch bed. Got a good sleep.

Up at 7am. It was early for SIL but sleeping in for MIL and I.

MIL had pre-declared that she was riding no rides today. SIL and I would ride some things. I planned to sit out most screen rides. (Partially to keep MIL company and also for 🤢)

Breakfast in room. Headed to USF for early entry.

(This street was about this full all trip. Except at park closing.)

Back to Diagon Alley but not to snake alley!

Gringotts for SIL and I first. It’s screen-y but I can do it with mild eye closing. When we saw how far in the queue the chicken-out door was we vowed to immediately bring MIL thru.
She loved it. I chickened out with her. SIL rode again. Loved that they let us bring a bag thru when we pre-declared we weren’t riding.

BAD1536C-3076-43C1-9698-750FBF311D04.jpeg

Then off to Hogsmeade!

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster
Part One Day 2 late morning:

Hogwarts Express was a hit. Almost perfect ride. (Why couldn’t they do a better job with Hermione’s voice? It’s not even close.)

We all walked the line at Forbidden Journey. Only SIL rode. (That’s a never again ride for me)

SIL and I rode Flight of the Hippogriff.

We visited Moanig Myrtle and then had lunch at the Three Broomsticks.

I had the Shepard’s Pie and salad combo. Super good. Perfect size. Yay for salad.

MIL and SIL shared the fish and chips.

Listened to the Frog choir and had frozen butterbeer.

Started to head towards the park exit.
Did Poseidon’s Fury. 😂 That was our longest wait at Universal and the one with the least pay off.

SIL’s take: “well... umm they put a lot of effort into that? 🤷‍♀️

Now back to resort. SIL (😉) needed a break in City Walk. While sitting for a bit I suggested one final stop before the bus.

The Chuckles. Yum!

Minnie1986

Part One Day 1:

MIL and SIL got situated in the room and we chatted for a bit.

MIL then wanted SIL and I to decide what to do next.

MIL has a heavily highlighted guidebook. And three different touring plans printed off. (several copies of each of them)

This is her bucket list trip. We both defer to her. No. She insists we pick. SIL picks to head to the parks rather than stay at the resort.

SIL and MIL both take a Bonine and we head to the bus. Even before we get to the bus MIL comments that she doesn’t handle heat well. And that she’s worried that the bus ride will make her motion sick.

View attachment 370644
I’m literally at a loss for words. She does know she’s at an amusement park, right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom