News "it's a small world" Holiday Will Not Open on Schedule Due to Incident

Disney Analyst

I'm curious what went on with it, it was already extensively rebuilt in 2018/2019. Did they just figure they should let it rot and not maintain it?

Seems like maintenance could've saved them a lot of time and money.

I mean, they got the platform functional again last time, but I think this is far more extensive. I hear people saying even late 2019 it was in rough shape, despite the refurb to repair the failures it faced due to the flood or whatever. (Sounds similar to IASW).

Is this the first full drain since they built it?

waltography

Cynicism aside, it's very cool that the original Small World now has pieces from all the other rides around the world. Feels right and now makes for a great bit of trivia for our Small World.

Honestly, the image of other parks around the world chipping in to help repair the original is ripe for a mini documentary or animated short at least. Make it happen, Disney!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So it would seem they brought an old CM out of retirement to oversee this project -

giphy.gif

mharrington

I will be going to Disneyland on January 9 for the 35th anniversary of Star Tours, so it looks like I will get to do the Christmas version of Small World after all. It will also be the very last day of the Christmas event before things start to get taken down, although I'm told that Small World will retain its holiday theme for at least a few more weeks while they shut down the Haunted Mansion to remove its holiday theming. After it reopens is usually when they shut down Small World for the same process.

truecoat

I will be going to Disneyland on January 9 for the 35th anniversary of Star Tours, so it looks like I will get to do the Christmas version of Small World after all. It will also be the very last day of the Christmas event before things start to get taken down, although I'm told that Small World will retain its holiday theme for at least a few more weeks while they shut down the Haunted Mansion to remove its holiday theming. After it reopens is usually when they shut down Small World for the same process.

Unlike in August when they were only showing Sequel Star Wars scenes on Star Tours, the others have returned recently and for the better.

Emmanuel

I mean, they got the platform functional again last time, but I think this is far more extensive. I hear people saying even late 2019 it was in rough shape, despite the refurb to repair the failures it faced due to the flood or whatever. (Sounds similar to IASW).

Is this the first full drain since they built it?

Last time it was fully drained that I remember was back in 2015 prior to the 60th

Rob562

As of today it's not listed as open, but it's also no longer listed as "Closed for Refurbishment". Could we see a soft opening today or tomorrow?

Screenshot_20211204-161510.png

-Rob

lazyboy97o

Cant wait for the inevitable Disney+ Original Documentary

Its a Small World: Operation World Peace

"Get a behind the scenes look on how Disney Parks around the world join forces to repair a Disneyland classic before the holidays are over!"
“And then, when all seemed lost, Bob Chapek personally flew in the parts to save this beloved attraction single handedly designed by Bob Iger.”

Sailor310

My friend dragged my on it yesterday (Dec 6). I had forgotten that they add SOOO much for Christmas! It enjoyed it. I really enjoyed hearing Christmas carols in addition to to the normal theme.

As an aside, towards the end of the ride the water got REALLY dirty. It was weird.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

My friend dragged my on it yesterday (Dec 6). I had forgotten that they add SOOO much for Christmas! It enjoyed it. I really enjoyed hearing Christmas carols in addition to to the normal theme.

The holiday version of it's a small world is the best overlay Disney has ever done, and they've improved it since it opened.

The holiday theme meshes perfectly with the small world theme. The integration of Babes in Toyland to the clock show is genius and ties the overlay back to Walt era Disney, making the overlay feel that much more authentic. The added decorations throughout the attraction greatly enhance the experience and fit nicely alongside the '60s imagineering.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom