News "it's a small world" Holiday Will Not Open on Schedule Due to Incident

AJFireman

Historically it would of been open until the 24th so 5 more weekdays for a lengthy closure is not much. Haunted Mansion usually goes down to remove the Holiday Overly for 10-14 days. Small World usually follows starting 2 weeks after the end of the holiday season.

Castle Cake Apologist

I heard from my friend in Fantasyland and they said it was extensive flooding throughout the show building. One person said it may not reopen until after the holidays. They are telling guests it’s closed indefinitely.

This seems incredibly unlikely, especially with Disneyland's non-flooded design. Even if all the water from the flume entered the show area, I can't imagine it would amount to more than a few inches of water, certainly not enough to reach the elevated sets.

As a former Cast Member myself, you really shouldn't believe anything we tell you. 😉

lazyboy97o

This seems incredibly unlikely, especially with Disneyland's non-flooded design. Even if all the water from the flume entered the show area, I can't imagine it would amount to more than a few inches of water, certainly not enough to reach the elevated sets.

As a former Cast Member myself, you really shouldn't believe anything we tell you. 😉
But what is under those sets? Anything placed on the floor would be in those few inches.

drizgirl

You don’t think mold would become a problem if they just go with it?

mharrington

But if we're not supposed to believe what Cast Members say, who should we believe? Because Disney itself is either not talking or would put a PR spin on it that seems to be dishonest. It's no wonder we turn to people like David Koenig for this kind of thing. I'm guessing that's who we should be believing, right?

lazyboy97o

Electrical, walls, flooring, all kinds of stuff water can mess up.
There probably isn’t any flooring under the sets. Walls can be dried. It would really be any equipment that is your big issue.

You don’t think mold would become a problem if they just go with it?
It is a moist environment so there is a good chance there is already some mold.

Vegas Disney Fan

There probably isn’t any flooring under the sets. Walls can be dried. It would really be any equipment that is your big issue.

It is a moist environment so there is a good chance there is already some mold.

This is my guess also, the building is most likely concrete floors with floor drains everywhere to catch any water that splashes over the side. If it’s not the designer was completely incompetent. A mechanical pit with a sump pump could easily be overwhelmed but I can’t envision a scenario that could flood the actual building, sets, etc.

I worked several warehouse / factory jobs in my early years and they all had concrete floors with scattered floor drains, I can’t imagine IASW is much different. It’s basically a warehouse with a massive set and flume built inside it.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
But if we're not supposed to believe what Cast Members say, who should we believe? Because Disney itself is either not talking or would put a PR spin on it that seems to be dishonest. It's no wonder we turn to people like David Koenig for this kind of thing. I'm guessing that's who we should be believing, right?
Where do you think Koenig got his information from?

1638123383316.png

Do we only believe cast memebers when they tell stuff to this clown?

lazyboy97o

It depends on the person and their role. “Cast Member” is a term that is used differently by different people. Most people generally mean the front line people who see working the working the parks but others use it to refer to any Disney parks employee or even any Disney employee. Someone that you see working the attraction is not going to be involved in something like maintaining and fixing electrical equipment and likely isn’t even knowledgeable in that subject that if told about a situation they properly understand it and repeat that information. We see all sorts of wild assumptions made because people are just guessing to come up with an explanation that gets repeated.

This is my guess also, the building is most likely concrete floors with floor drains everywhere to catch any water that splashes over the side. If it’s not the designer was completely incompetent. A mechanical pit with a sump pump could easily be overwhelmed but I can’t envision a scenario that could flood the actual building, sets, etc.

I worked several warehouse / factory jobs in my early years and they all had concrete floors with scattered floor drains, I can’t imagine IASW is much different. It’s basically a warehouse with a massive set and flume built inside it.
A best practice would also be to not put stuff below a bunch of water unless it was hardened for protection, but they apparently did that. With a building that is half a century old it’s hard to guess as to what was done.

Vegas Disney Fan

You can see a few pieces of equipment on the floor. If they were okay doing that right next to the flume there’s no telling what was done elsewhere.
That was not at all what I was expecting to see. Speakers sitting directly on the floor, lighting sitting directly on the floor, animatronic motors sitting directly on the floor, electrical conduit on the floor, wood props sitting directly on the floor, etc. I am amazed that on a water ride everything isn’t elevated a couple inches off the ground.

Maybe there’s another floor under all this and the show pieces are actually raised above it on a subfloor but it didn’t appear that way. It would be so simple to elevate everything six inches on metal poles to prevent water damage, makes no sense.

Edited to add that I went down the YouTube rabbit hole looking for any backstage videos of IASW and found this on Carousel of Progress… if carousel of progress has all this below it who knows what’s below IASW…

Last edited:

VicariousCorpse

That was not at all what I was expecting to see. Speakers sitting directly on the floor, lighting sitting directly on the floor, animatronic motors sitting directly on the floor, electrical conduit on the floor, wood props sitting directly on the floor, etc. I am amazed that on a water ride everything isn’t elevated a couple inches off the ground.

Maybe there’s another floor under all this and the show pieces are actually raised above it on a subfloor but it didn’t appear that way. It would be so simple to elevate everything six inches on metal poles to prevent water damage, makes no sense.

Edited to add that I went down the YouTube rabbit hole looking for any backstage videos of IASW and found this on Carousel of Progress… if carousel of progress has all this below it who knows what’s below IASW…

Yea but CoP is also built on the second level along with the rest of the Magic Kingdom, unlike Disneyland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom