It's a Small World Facade To Be Repainted In It's Original Colors

pheneix

Original Poster
In what is likely the first good change to come out of the Disneyland Resort in 7 years, IASW's facade is being repainted in the original white/gold colors as part of Disneyland's 50th Anniversary celebration. The scaffolding is up around the building as I type this. Word going around is that the exterior lighting around the attraction will improve after the new facade work is finished.

Here is a photo of the attraction's current facade:

>>>http://www.laughingplace.com/ShowPi...ld/02.jpg&ZA=2&ZA=2&Caption=The+entire+facade<<<

And here is a photo of the original:

>>>http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8955<<<

Scroll down to the bottom of the thread to see the photos.

DCA Fan

About bloody time they repainted the facade.

I like the gold and white look, but I'm kinda partial to the rainbow pastel look. I really liked that one.

Jerm

Wow something must be wrong....who told them that the 50th was coming up......was it YOU!!!!!! I am in shock that they actaully put the sign up, but I think that also puts a fork in the idea of the fiber optic. I don't think they would put all the money into painting it then tearing it all up in a few years again. Speaking of a few years......why are they doing this 2 and a half years early?????

J

DCA Fan

Techically, this isn't "early". IASW has been due for a repaint for at least a year and a half now. About time they got around to it!

JLW11Hi

Would this be paying homage to Mary Blair's original work? I think she had the say in the color sceme of IASW when it opened.

Tron

Not to dispute, but I just got my Disneyland vacation planning video in the mail last week, and it states that Small World will be undergoing a special holiday facade for the October-January months this year. I'm not saying that they aren't eventually going to go back to the original paint scheme for the 50th anniversary, but isn't it more likely that the scaffolding is up because they're doing the holiday renovation than the 50th anniversary front (given that the 50th anniversary is still quite some time away)?

Jerm

Nope this is for the 50th, they have a sign outside that says it is for the repaint of the way Walt had it. I am sure they are going to make it easy to add the lights with this rehab also but this is taking it back to the white and gold look as it was for so many years.

J

Firebird

WOW DL are finally doing something right and with retro fitting IASW does that mean they might look to the past for ather areas as well:animwink:

Tigggrl

Small World JUST re opened recently for folks to ride again. It has been down since they took it under rehab to remove the Holiday themed items....It is undergoing extensive facade work, all of the lights have been removed and they are patching and painting....I believe it is part of the prep for the 50th...only because it had been down most f the year, and the lights are gone, hopefully to be replaced with the fiberoptic lights while under cover..
If you ride, you can see what they are doing under the tarps and scaffolding, as well as riding the train puts you behind the facade....The inside looks wonderful too! amazing what paint and glitter can do:)
I DO prefer this version over the one in Florida...so much more themeing:)

Jerm

Originally posted by Tigggrl
Small World JUST re opened recently for folks to ride again. It has been down since they took it under rehab to remove the Holiday themed items...

That is not ture, the ride was open then closed again. They have been jumping back and forth on Small World all year long. I have wored with fiber optics and the stuff they are doing would not give them the time or the space to add any of that during this time. So it looks like its just going back to the way it was, it will look nice with the lighting effect back on it if they do it the way Mary and Walt talked about it.

J

Tigggrl

Ummm I hate to disagree, but I rode it yesterday...and last week....It isnt due to go back down till they prep it for Small World Holiday again...I BELIEVE its the end of September

DCA Fan

Tigggrl is correct.
After rehabbing it from the Holidays, they finished and reopened it, the paint and glitter all redone. Only the facade is covered in scaffolding, but the ride is not closed.

Jerm

O.K. just to make sure I am not getting ripped on here LOL. They reopened it after X-mas in Jan then they shut it down again a few weeks ago then they reponed it. I was there when it was down, then they brought it back up after the really nice job inside....started repainting the pastel then stopped half and started to re do it white and gold.

J

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom