It's a Digital World After All

AllyInWonderland

A customized goodbye? What a wonderful, innovative idea! I'm surprised that nobody else has...

...oh, wait -

dsc06377k.jpg

Universal incorporated a "customized goodbye" 23 years ago. :rolleyes:
One time when my parents were there before I was born, they went on that and my dad joked that his name is Raooul, so when E.T. said it, it sounded like he was throwing up. :p

Biff215

I did notice the postcards but didn't realize they were hiding a monitor. If this is going to involve the above mentioned dolls, where exactly are they going to be designed?

alphac2005

One time when my parents were there before I was born, they went on that and my dad joked that his name is Raooul, so when E.T. said it, it sounded like he was throwing up. :p

We sat with a group a few weeks back and the guys were all conveniently named Elliott. E.T. actually worked each and every time, but it was funny hearing him say Elliott over and over.

alphac2005

I guess Mr.Richard Sherman is going to have to rewrite the lyrics for this attraction from "it's a small world" to "it's a smart world". Then you'd see the doll animatronics with magic bands on and holding smartphones/mini ipads in their hands. whether they pretend to blog,text,etc.

"it's a narcissists world" would work here because everything has to be so catered to now to people. I sure like the whole concept of a passive experience at the parks. I don't care to hear my name nor do I care to have to do all sorts of interactive junk on a vacation.... It's a, um, vacation. I deal with interactiveness and technology all day at my company, I just want to sit and be entertained on a trip.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
"it's a narcissists world" would work here because everything has to be so catered to now to people. I sure like the whole concept of a passive experience at the parks. I don't care to hear my name nor do I care to have to do all sorts of interactive junk on a vacation.... It's a, um, vacation. I deal with interactiveness and technology all day at my company, I just want to sit and be entertained on a trip.
How about this. I don't care to hear my name on a ride or have it interact with me. My kids however would get a huge kick out of it.

alphac2005

How about this. I don't care to hear my name on a ride or have it interact with me. My kids however would get a huge kick out of it.

I have kids, I understand, but it's all about everything being catered to everyone now. Just like the Nike and Under Armour shirts that basically says "I'm the best at whatever" for kids. The problem is that garbage like that used to be funny and a joke, now too many actually think it's the case. To each their own.

disneyflush

Welcome and thnx for the update you've just earned your wings as Hatter says!

Is the date correct on your profile, joining on December 18th of last year? I ask only to find out if you have managed to get more than 1,800 posts in less than 2 months or if that is not the correct date. Thats incredible if accurate.

The Duck

I told the E.T. staff that my name was Montezuma and then E.T. called me "Mont-ah-zumee". :confused: I'm sure that the tech has improved considerably over the years for the Small World application but I still think the money could have been better used elsewhere.

Reddog

Is anyone else looking forward to the first lawsuit brought on because someone found a way to "hack" their NGEMM+ wristband to say something naughty on It's a Small World.

My children were scarred for life by those dirty words...do you know how much I paid for this vacation?

Wouldn't they have to hack the Disney computers? The wristband doesn't store your info.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
FYI, most systems like this have built in checks for anything that can be considered profane. I've worked on projects in the past where one of the roles on on team was to manage the profanity filter list. It was quite long and exensive, and would have contained things like first name "Ima", last name "Butt", etc.
I'd imagine that the NGE system will have some form of Terms of Usage type thing you have to accept upon signup, and built into this will contain verbiage forbidding the use for profane names in any of the interactive elements. The system would likely filter it up front upon entry so that no names that could be considered profane could be entered.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Serious question. How much money do we think is being invested here in the screens? I'm assuming that they are slightly more advanced than the LCD tvs you can get at Walmart for a couple hundred bucks, but they cant be THAT much more right? I know each little bit adds up over time, the cost of developing the software to display whatever gets displayed is not a few hundred dollars, but again, they are not financing an entire animated feature here, so the cost can't be that great on the display software as well.
Again, I'm asking the question strictly on the budget. I'm not saying that it is not correct that the money here shouldn't be spent somewhere else, even if it is a small amount.

prfctlyximprct

The RFID tag is your name that is logged into your disney resort, dining plan, credit card etc. unless you book your trip under a bad word as your name, it isn't going the effect the end of the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom