Pre-Trip It's 2018-Let the countdown begin

IMG_0129.JPG

(Not sure if this pic will load but here I am in DL in November with my long awaited Mickey Macaron and Matterhorn Macaroon-I did not want to share!)

I am new to this site but after reading some awesome trip reports I am itching to post a pre-trip report even though there are still 131 days left to go, I booked my vacation package ~120 days ago so we're almost halfway through the wait!

Last edited:

ELeigh

Original Poster
Once I started this thread I immediately wanted to go back and look through all of my old Disney pictures, so after the kids went down for nap I did all the cleaning on my to do list and now I am back on it!
May 2015 Trip:
This trip was planned ~3 months in advance and I literally knew nothing about Disney planning before booking the trip. I had to call to book since we would be using military discount and luckily got an amazing CM who took the time to explain everything and help me weigh options. We booked the Port Orleans French Quarter for 6 nights and got 4 day military park hoppers (my sister and I were both military wives at the time-now my husband is out no more discount :,()

Day 1-Travel Day: Wave Dinner
IMG_0131.JPG

(First glance of the castle from the Contemporary)
After arriving smoothly and checking out POFQ we hopped on a bus to MK then walked to the contemporary for dinner at the Wave. I didn't have a ton of options for ADRs for this trip because of the late planning but we enjoyed the meal and almost 3 years later I remember that I had Gnocchi with short rib and my sister had the roast chicken and both were amazing. We were on DDP so we each tried a different dessert flight but neither of us were hungry so we boxed them and ate them for breakfast the next day.

Day 2-AK/Epcot-
IMG_0135.JPG

(Baby O's First Disney Park)
IMG_0136.JPG

(Her first character!)
IMG_0137.JPG

(And first time meeting the big Cheese)
I was most excited for animal kingdom so we headed there first. I didn't really know much about FP but I had booked them for the safari, Festival of the Lion King and the Minnie and Mickey meet and greet, in that order. As soon as we got on the safari baby O passed out of course, and not until after I got off the ride did I see the signs warning that pregnant women should not ride (it's ok baby Z came out just fine and right on time months later). We saw the festival of the lion king which O was awake for and loved, and got in line for the wildlife express train and were about to board when I felt a warm trickle down my side, and looked around for leaking water but sure enough it was a leaky diaper :/. We got out of line and I quickly cleaned and changed O then had to buy a new shirt and change in time for her meeting with Mickey and Minnie. We called it a day at AK even though there was a lot we didn't see and headed to Epcot for some world showcase action (My sister who was 21 at the time did the drinking and I was 5month pregnant so I did the eating) and then back to POFQ for some pool time.
IMG_0138.JPG
IMG_0133.JPG
IMG_0132.JPG
IMG_0139.JPG
IMG_0140.JPG

After the pool I gave O a bath and got in the tub with her and had more bathroom trouble (#2 this time :/). We cleaned up and got ready for more Epcot-Flower and Garden was happening so we was some topiaries and then dinner at Akershus. It was awesome to see O light up at all of the princesses and the food was great too! Right before we met belle at the entrance, O threw up on me, I was 3/3 of baby bodily fluids that day. I was so happy we got to see Snow White and all the princesses thought O was so cute and she even got a kiss from Ariel.

Day 3-HS (whyyyy) and first time at MK
IMG_0141.JPG

O's knowledge of Disney was based solely on Disney Jr before the trip so I wanted her to meet the characters from those shows. We did the play and dine breakfast at Hollywood Studios and it was abysmal. Food was not good, very little character interaction and it was so bright it was impossible to take a good picture. We had much better luck in the animation courtyard. We saw the Disney jr dance party which had too much talking and not enough music for O and were eager to get the heck out of HS but of course it was Star Wars weekend and a massive crowd was gathering for the parade and we were stuck on the wrong side of it :/. We made it to day 2 of our tour around Epcot but tensions were still high. We went back to the hotel to relax and try to recover from the complete trauma of a morning.

I didn't realize I would remember so much from three years ago, I guess there will be a part 2 to this trip!

ELeigh

Original Poster
Day 2/Part 2-Magic Kingdom!
IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

IMG_0144.JPG

So we recovered from our morning and got to Magic Kingdom for Olivia's first time. We made excellent time and did everything on my to do list and scored FP for Mickey. O loved the talking Mickey and when she saw him she said Mickey for the first time ❤️. From there our great evening went far, far south. We wanted to check out Downtown Disney (back when it was called that) and somehow had bad information on how to get there from MK. After an hour we ended up back at MK and starving and decided to make a last minute reservation for Crystal Palace. It was the worst dinner ever I swear. It took forever to get seated and we were some of the last guests of the night so the food had been sitting too long. Our service was awful and all my sister wanted was an adult Beverage of which they had none in MK at the time. When I went to the buffet O ended up smacking her head on the table because she was so exhausted and passing out, I got mad at my sister for not stopping that and we ended up leaving separately (I don't think I even ate) after some words were exchanged :/. It was a rediculous fight and became downright silly when we both ended up side by side racing to get on a bus before the fireworks were over. Luckily we got back to the POFQ and were able to relax and we had our break day planned the next day.
Day 3-Break
Our break day was super light, we had family from the area come to meet us and stayed in PORS so we swam over there, took a boat to downtown and ate at Raglan Road, then spent the rest of the day swimming before some Po Boys for dinner at the resort. My sister and cousin went back downtown for nightlife and O and I went to bed.
Day 4-Epcot/Mk
The next day we spent the morning with family before they had to head home, then hit up Epcot again for lunch. We got one of my favorite pics from the trip in Morocco. Then we switched back to MK for some rides and met some more characters
IMG_0146.JPG
IMG_0145.JPG

I know we ate at Ohana on this trip and I have to assume it happened this night because I remember all of the other dinners but I can't find any pictures. It was soooo soooo good and that dinner definitely converted me. I wish I could just drink the peanut dipping sauce I literally put it on everything and I was lucky to have extra room in the baby belly for the bread pudding because it was heavenly.
IMG_0147.JPG

Day 5-MK/DD
The last day before heading home we visited MK again to do adventureland/frontierland. There wasn't much for O to do there but she loved the Tikki Room (I wish I knew then about dole whip, we had no clue it existed). I'm almost positive we went to Epcot for lunch again and I am pretty sure this is the day I had frushi (which I have been day-dreaming about since).
That evening we made reservations to have photos taken in the marketplace at Downtown, I have no idea if this is still a thing and almost everyone else was doing princess shoots but it was my sisters college graduation and I wanted to have a picture taken with myself, O and baby bump Z so I could prove to him that he went later on lol.
IMG_0149.JPG

The graduate
IMG_0148.JPG

My two Disney babies-This photo is on my nightstand and the other day the kids were talking about it and O told Z "You were in mommy's belly, I don't know how you got there I think you were really small and she ate you by accident"

Well that's it for the first trip that turned me into a Disney addict :)

Attachments

• IMG_0147.JPG
    IMG_0147.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 109

PixieDust900

Day 2/Part 2-Magic Kingdom!
My two Disney babies-This photo is on my nightstand and the other day the kids were talking about it and O told Z "You were in mommy's belly, I don't know how you got there I think you were really small and she ate you by accident"

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: This is so funny! Olivia is adorable! I also love the pic of you on Buzz - you look like you are really concentrating! You are brave for going to Disney with a little one and pregnant. Disney is exhausting and kids are exhausting and being pregnant is exhausting so combining them all just makes me want to pass out, haha!

ELeigh

Original Poster
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: This is so funny! Olivia is adorable! I also love the pic of you on Buzz - you look like you are really concentrating! You are brave for going to Disney with a little one and pregnant. Disney is exhausting and kids are exhausting and being pregnant is exhausting so combining them all just makes me want to pass out, haha!
I think I went at a good point in my pregnancy where I had a good amount of energy. Thinking back to all the park hopping we did that trip I have no idea how I made it but at the time it didn’t feel difficult! Also-I was dead set on beating my sister on Buzz and I totally did. I still have yet to beat my husband but he is a gamer so it’s impossible

ELeigh

Original Poster
Well, I am in super Disney mode now that I dropped all those pics from our first visit so here is my recap of visit #2 in September 2016. Our second visit was for Z's first birthday and came after a really tough year for us (we lost my MIL to cancer, Z had lots of breathing issues over winter and ended up in hospital and none of us ever had enough sleep). This trip included: myself, DH, O, Z, and then one of my best friends, her boyfriend at the time, and her 3yo daughter. We wanted to stay in one room so that the couples could babysit for each other to have a date night without moving kids around and we also were on a bit of a budget so we stayed at All Star Music in a family suite. Compared to Port Orleans it really was not great but worked for what we needed.
Day 1-Doomed travel day
The day before our trip was not great, I was stressed trying to get everything packed and trying to convince DH to leave early for the airport the next day but he loves to play the let's see how close we can cut it game which gives me such bad anxiety. Well I was so overwhelmed I just looked at my phone halfway to the airport when I looked up and realized we were going to the wrong airport! There are 2 equidistant from us and while I am sure we fully discussed at some point my husband just assumed where we were going and I was in a bubble and didn't realize that he was going the wrong way from the time we turned off our street. Well there was no way we would make our flight so we had to rebook the next flight and ended up going home to eat lunch because now the next one was hours away. Our travel companions actually had a later flight already so they had no part of the first debacle. We finally made it to the correct airport and onto the plane when there was a problem and we sat on the tarmac for 2 hours. My perfectly planned nap time plane ride turned into a complete nightmare. The kids were really good considering they were 1 and 2 and had already had a lonnngg day. Long story short we got to the hotel around midnight and our travel companions ran into similar airline issues and didn't get in until 2am.
Day 1-Epcot
In my plan we were going to do MK in the morning on park day 1 but everyone was exhausted from travel so I just decided we should go to Epcot and check out Food and Wine. I had hoped to squeeze in some Epcot time each day but this was the only day we made it there.
IMG_0153.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG
IMG_0151.JPG

We started with Nemo for Z and K's first ever Disney ride :) Wehad a really great time just exploring the aquariums but then soon realized it was fast approaching naptime. I really wanted to try some F&W dishes so I sent DH with my kids to tangerine which I knew he would like and our companions went off on their own to find lunch while I sprinted around the showcase and gathered a few of my must try dishes that I had been waiting months for. I don't have pics but the Kaulua Pork and Pepper Bacon Mac and Cheese were my two favorite :). I took all my snacks and hightailed it to morocco where I made a nice lunch of them and the kids even tried some of the mac and cheese even though it was spicy they liked it. We then met back up to head out and on our way had to stop for Daisy and Z and K met their first character. I worked hard on these coordinating Daisy/Donald outfits for the 4 of us and I was so happy that we got to meet Daisy!
After naptime for men and children and pool time for the ladies we cleaned up and got ready for our ADR at Askershus. We had just enough time to stop by the Visa character spot and with no line met Mickey, Minnie and Goofy :)
When we got in line at Akershus is started raining and we had to duck under an umbrella with 50 other people in line. The girls decided to dance in the rain and sing "At last I see the light" in their princess dresses though which was adorable, The princess dinner was a lot more crazy with 3 kids then on my trip with one and K decided she hated cameras and therefore Characters at this point (her stepmom is a photographer I guess she had had enough of them already?) I know I got the beef but I'm not sure I ate it, I was just trying to keep the kids calm and happy but everyone else said the food was great. After dinner I made sure I got a large bag of caramel popcorn from Germany before taking the kids back to bed while the other couple went out.
IMG_0157.JPG

IMG_0154.JPG
IMG_0155.JPG

riverside

Premium Member
WOW—that is some serious drama about the airport!! I was stressing out just reading about it—I can’t imagine how you felt at that point. I’m glad it ended up working out for you!!

ELeigh

Original Poster
WOW—that is some serious drama about the airport!! I was stressing out just reading about it—I can’t imagine how you felt at that point. I’m glad it ended up working out for you!!
It was a nightmare for sure but not even close to the worst travel day compared to our Nov trip to California which was so traumatic that it had me and the two kids sitting on the sidewalk outside the rental car agency all crying :/

ELeigh

Original Poster
Park Day 2-AK/MK
IMG_0163.JPG
IMG_0161.JPG
IMG_0162.JPG
IMG_0160.JPG

On park day 2 we got a much later start than I had hoped and by the time we got to AK it was hot and so crowded and we had already missed one FP (I was trying to go with the flow but I am not great at that). We had a FP that was almost ending for Safari so we went on that then went to see Festival of the Lion king which I am obessesed with (the kids loved it too). I had timed our morning perfectly to arrive at Flametree just as it opened and the BBQ combo was everything I had ever hoped for. It was a much needed break and I really wish we had just called it a day after that. We had only done 2 attractions though and felt like we needed to do at least one more and the other adults wanted to do the bugs life because they remembered it from when they were kids. BIG MISTAKE the kids were all terrified and after 5 minutes we had to leave and then the worst bus wait ever occurred. There was a huge line for the All Star resorts when we got there and a bus was pulling in, we were 3 or 4 groups away from fitting on so we waited, and waited, and waited. We saw no less than 5 busses for Port Orleans and I really wished I was staying there again. A CM came to tell us the AS bus had broken down and that they were sending a replacement, meanwhile Z melted down as any exhausted one year old stuck in the heat would and this is a little what it looked like:
IMG_0164.JPG

He fell asleep when the bus finally came and we all took a good long rest at the hotel.

When we got up the energy to head back out to MK we had a FP to meet Rapunzel, the girls favorite princess and since she was ,eating with Tiana I had watched the Princess and The Frog with them before the trip because we hadn't seen it yet.
IMG_0167.JPG
IMG_0166.JPG
IMG_0168.JPG

Since it was late September we also caught some Halloween decor :)
We had an ADR for chef Mickey so off we went. K was in full "No pictures mode" and Z was still not feeling great after our morning. But O loved the characters. We managed to snag a couple of good pictures and the food was nothing short of great. I had heard mixed reviews so I had warned the adults that this might not be the best meal but we all enjoyed everything we tried and barely had room for dessert, but we made sure the kids got ice cream.
IMG_0169.JPG
IMG_0170.JPG

Then after dinner we said goodbye to our kids and they went back to the hotel for bed. We got to go out for our date night :) I would have ,over to hit up Epcot but it was already shutting down as it was getting pretty late. DH looked at eachother not sure what to do without the kids and I opened the MDE app and realized that MK had late EMH and It looked like Buzz was a walk on, so of course....

riverside

Premium Member
It was a nightmare for sure but not even close to the worst travel day compared to our Nov trip to California which was so traumatic that it had me and the two kids sitting on the sidewalk outside the rental car agency all crying :/
I can’t like this post....
What happened?

MegRuss626

I don't remember our dates but it was late Sept. 2016 :)

I think ours was the 24th through the 30th....I know we left the 30th because I spent months begging my husband to add one more day to our trip so we could go to the MK for the 45th anniversary. Spoiler alert: I failed lol I totally remember it was ridiculously hot and we had horrible bus problems the ENTIRE trip!

ELeigh

Original Poster
I can’t like this post....
What happened?
After ten hours of travel (one hour car ride, two flights, hour long trip from plane to rental car center) my husband waited line for our rental car for 20 minutes only to be told our reservation couldn't be found, come to find out we had been booked in San Fransisco instead of San Diego (Priceline kept timing out on me when I booked and switching but I thought I had fixed it). My husband went back into the now longer line to try to get them to honor the reservation and the kids lost it and I had to take them out of their stroller and hold them both on my lap while our giant pile of luggage and car seats collapsed everywhere. the rental car ended up being an additional 600$ I almost died but luckily my in laws ended up paying for some other portions of the trip which offset the cost. I swear they will visit us from now on though :/

ELeigh

Original Poster
We did our date night in MK :) we had about an hour and a half till closing so we did Buzz, then realized Space Mountsin was empty so we rode that 2x and then back to buzz. I lost twice :/. I got to get a PP with the castle and do some shopping on the way out, it was amazing
IMG_0171.JPG

DH insisted we should both sit in front of a car so we weren't together lol.
IMG_0165.JPG

After our date night we came back to soundly sleeping children which is always a plus and got some rest for the next big day.

Park Day 3-More MK
For our 3rd day at MK my goal was to get on SDMT, I had a fast pass already loaded and figured the adults could rider swap it. I really wanted O to be tall enough because she loves the Dwarfs and her favorite some at the time was Heigh-Ho but she was only two so not even close. The FP wasn't for a while and we actually managed to get up on the earlier side so we got through a bunch of rides in Fantasyland. Z went crazy for Small World I think it was his favorite of the trip, the adult males did not at all agree lol. We did the sideshow meets which is always fun. We had two more FP for Ariels ride and Barnstormer before the last FP but when we were going to head over to Ariel we saw Alice and K had to meet her. We weren't planning on coming back to MK and O was and still is obsessed with Alice in Wonderland (She and Z were the Queen of Hearts and the White Rabbit for Halloween a few weeks after this). The line didn't look long so we went for it. Of course we were just in time for a break and once they returned the family in front of us (which was a large family with lots of teenaged children) each wanted individual pictures with Alice and Mad Hatter. This are up the rest of our FP window and we skipped Ariel but had excellent meets. O kept telling Alice about the teacups (which were right behind us) and K had her best character experience of the trip! We sent the guys and little girls off to their FP at barnstormer and took Z to Cosmic Rays to grab food and seats. We finished our lunch with about 20 min to go until the SDMT fastpass and I started feeling guilty about wanting to ride it without O and making everyone wait for another 30 minutes when the kids could use a nap. We found out O loved rollercoasters after barnstormer so I resolved in my own head that next trip we will ride SDMT together and that when she was tall enough I would take her no matter what.
IMG_0172.JPG
IMG_0173.JPG
IMG_0174.JPG
IMG_0175.JPG

By that evening we were pretty wiped out. I would have planned a break day on this trip but the best deal on military tickets was the 4 day park hopper and we wanted to use all 4. I had wanted to try and get a dolewhip (which I had yet to try) but we barely made it to our ADR at 'Ohana without even entering the park on the way. But Lapu Lapu was definitely the next best thing! I was so excited to be back in my happy place (which is anywhere I can get that bread pudding ).p, but O was acting off. She was whining and acting out so I sat her on my lap to calm her down and kept eating. She ended up having an accident in her pants (this was slightly after she was potty trained and she wasn't 100% yet) so my dinner got temporarily inturrupted by #2 on my lap :/ but luckily it did not get on our clothes and I still got back in time for the bread pudding. O passed out after that she was so done.
IMG_0177.JPG

We brought the kids back and out them to bed and then my friend and I got to go out for Girls night :). We wanted to do some shopping at DS kid free and I was able to go into basin and mickeys pantry which I wouldn't have been able to do with kids. The stores were closing so we went in search of drinks but I was so lost. We ended up at the bar at the boathouse and after one drink I wished that I had ordered food but the bartender never came back to check on us (we had already paid for the drinks) so we went in search of a snack and got some amazing cheese-potato wedges at Raglan Road that came with another cheese type sauce for dipping. Cheese dipped in cheese, it doesn't get any better!
IMG_0178.JPG

ELeigh

Original Poster
I think ours was the 24th through the 30th....I know we left the 30th because I spent months begging my husband to add one more day to our trip so we could go to the MK for the 45th anniversary. Spoiler alert: I failed lol I totally remember it was ridiculously hot and we had horrible bus problems the ENTIRE trip!
We definitely overlapped with those days. I remember planning it so many people recommended September on various sites and it was supposed to be a less crowded time to go, but to me it felt much more crowded than other times I have gone, along with the bus issues and sheer chaos of Food and Wine I don't plan on going back in September for a lonnnng time (it is my sons and nephews bday month though so never say never lol)

ELeigh

Original Poster
Day 4: HS
On our last park day, I decided I would give HS another shot because the kids really do love Disney Jr and I had never done midway mania. So I did FP for the guys at tower of terror and rocking roller coaster while the ladies took the kids. We intended to do the Disney jr dance party but we arrived early enough that we had time to kill so we met Olaf. When we got finished there I really didn’t want to sit through the Disney Jr show (it’s painful I swear) so we took advantage of the fact that every other small child was watching the show and met all of the Disney Jr characters within 20 minutes. Then we had time to spare before our Toystory FP so we decided to see Journey of the Little Mermaid. Once again K was afraid but O really got into it and wanted to stay until the end. We still had time after that and the adults had zero energy so we let the kids play in the launch bay and they loved it. Then we did Midway Mania with a FP, DH won again no surprise but we had a blast. Then we went to backlot where at the time they had a Star Wars themed menu. Everything was good again (we had good food every meal on this trip, not one thing disappointed anyone!) the cupcakes were a big hit!

For the after nap portion of our last day I had originally had an ADR at garden grill, but I decided to cancel it the day before because I just didn’t feel like we could make it back to Epcot. We ended up spending a long time in the pool instead and everyone wanted to go back to DS for some shopping so we booked a last minute ADR at Frontera. The food was AMAZING each couple ordered one Carne Asada and one Shrimp Mojo and everything was great, but the steak was the best anyone had ever had (and DH and I have been to quite a few high end steakhouses. The plantains were also just amazing. I could have done with just another side of those rather than the dessert (we ordered everything that was on the dessert menu because we were on the dining plan) which was all just a little too rich for me. This meal came with a toddler tantrum which I am pretty sure was some potty frustration on O’s part because she had an accident in world of Disney and felt much better after. I ended my trip trying to clean that mess out of the stroller before packing up and heading out for a painfully early ME to the airport.
BED34583-BAE0-4B95-9D3E-23CAB4FB8849.jpeg
DB761B60-6CB8-46AB-9E16-455A399890F6.jpeg
275DEE6C-CDF1-4436-A754-4D0C23EDF8C1.jpeg
E495C147-77C3-4857-AE25-06C37B58146D.jpeg
429ABE2E-9676-4549-8EB2-E71A00131D68.jpeg

riverside

Premium Member
After ten hours of travel (one hour car ride, two flights, hour long trip from plane to rental car center) my husband waited line for our rental car for 20 minutes only to be told our reservation couldn't be found, come to find out we had been booked in San Fransisco instead of San Diego (Priceline kept timing out on me when I booked and switching but I thought I had fixed it). My husband went back into the now longer line to try to get them to honor the reservation and the kids lost it and I had to take them out of their stroller and hold them both on my lap while our giant pile of luggage and car seats collapsed everywhere. the rental car ended up being an additional 600$ I almost died but luckily my in laws ended up paying for some other portions of the trip which offset the cost. I swear they will visit us from now on though :/
Wow--that sounds like a nightmare!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom