It Felt Like Epcot 94

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Original Poster
I have the distinction of being born in the mid-80s, and was fortunate enough to get to visit WDW very frequently as a young kid. So I have incredibly vivid memories of EPCOT Center.

Horizons, World of Motion, and the original versions of Universe of Energy and Journey Into Imagination hold a special place in my heart. These days The Land is by far my favorite place in all of WDW.

I can recall how alarming it was when EPCOT Center became EPCOT 94. When Motion closed to become a thrill ride. When Energy gained a humorous flair. When Communicore became Innovrntions - and had arcade machines.

It was a strange time.

But over the years, and subsequently decades, many (definitely not all) of those jarring changes became endearing parts of the EPCOT Center culture.

Walking into EPCOT on our annual trip this week, it felt like EPCOT 94 again. An absolute upheaval.

As much as I’m a diehard EPCOT traditionalist, I have to admit that I’m cautiously optimistic about a lot of what’s coming.

For one, it’s refreshing to see the countries of World Showcase getting new films, and to see the former Wonders of Life pavilion no longer sitting stagnant. I know the “neighborhoods” thing is very offputting to many, but maybe this will allow some of the more grounded, scientific pavilions and attractions to be better showcased. And call it fan service but the circle logos are back and that makes my heart happy.

I will always miss the original EPCOT Center. I love omnimovers and traveling theaters. I love full sets and animatronics.

But this feeling that reminds me of that first great transformation really made me realize that my favorite theme park has truly been gone for a very long time. But I’m hopeful that what still remains of EPCOT Center and what I’ve grown to love about Epcot will live on and perhaps even thrive as it becomes EPCOT.

And if not, at least we still have Martins Vids.

correcaminos

I'll be honest, I don't agree with you at all. I was there just before Epcot opened and then went the summer after it opened with the family after seeing a sneak peek earlier in '82. EPCOT is dead. It's been dead since about the mid 90s at best. You had some rides linger into the end of the 90s, but all the great things at Innoventions and such were gone early. What they are doing is rejuvenating the park, but absolutely abandoning any idea of what EPCOT was as a park.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'll be honest, I don't agree with you at all. I was there just before Epcot opened and then went the summer after it opened with the family after seeing a sneak peek earlier in '82. EPCOT is dead. It's been dead since about the mid 90s at best. You had some rides linger into the end of the 90s, but all the great things at Innoventions and such were gone early. What they are doing is rejuvenating the park, but absolutely abandoning any idea of what EPCOT was as a park.
I would actually agree that what we know as “EPCOT” or “EPCOT Center” has been dead since,... I’ll say 1999 - Horizons closing was the nail.

I’m excited that the park is getting some much needed and much deserved attention and that the new and rejuvenated experienced will help make EPCOT a full day park once again. (Right now you can experience every available ride/attraction in less than a full day if you don’t waste time).

ppete1975

I believe they are making tge best of a bad situation with a few nods to the history. The front of the park going back to the original feel. Behind spaceship earth a beautiful park that should be beautiful (no idea about crowd flow esp with the park on top of that building-will they cap how many are there) the original park has been dead awhile and although they coould have revitalized portions of it. They are prob smarter rebooting. And thats from an epcot center fan.

correcaminos

I would actually agree that what we know as “EPCOT” or “EPCOT Center” has been dead since,... I’ll say 1999 - Horizons closing was the nail.

I’m excited that the park is getting some much needed and much deserved attention and that the new and rejuvenated experienced will help make EPCOT a full day park once again. (Right now you can experience every available ride/attraction in less than a full day if you don’t waste time).
Yeah dead as a doornail then. Dying by the mid 90s though. Edutainment is long gone. IPs are flooding in. It's definitely a huge change from the first 10 years or so.

I am happy about rejuvenation, but not thrilled with some of the direction. I'm glad some is the same.... and glad they aren't ignoring it anymore.

Joesixtoe

I think it's more difficult to "edutainment" the rides, when everyone can fact check everything on their phones. Maybe Epcot is just trying to reinvent itself as to stay ahead of the curve. Epcot is/was just a unique and special theme park, that it just makes it tough to stay a step ahead of the future.

Rich Brownn

The reason why is originally EPCOT Cebter's rides all lasted 12-15 minutes (except Energy which went on forever). For example, by 1984 on one side you had Energy (45 minutes) Horizon (12 minutes), World of Motion (14 minutes). Thats basically an hour and a half or ride time. Now it will be GotG (6 minutes probably), Space (4 minutes), Test Track (6 minutes). So that's about the same combined ride time as ONE previous attraction. The loss of Imagination, Kitchen Cabaret and the Seas experience did the same over on the other side. Since the new EPCOT isn't adding any new rides in Future World, but actually losing exhibits I am not sure it will feel any better in terms of getting a full day. (Rat isn't very long and MP seems to be a carousel at this point). The park would need at least 5 more rides to bring it up to pre-1990s overall ride time

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Original Poster
The reason why is originally EPCOT Cebter's rides all lasted 12-15 minutes (except Energy which went on forever). For example, by 1984 on one side you had Energy (45 minutes) Horizon (12 minutes), World of Motion (14 minutes). Thats basically an hour and a half or ride time. Now it will be GotG (6 minutes probably), Space (4 minutes), Test Track (6 minutes). So that's about the same combined ride time as ONE previous attraction. The loss of Imagination, Kitchen Cabaret and the Seas experience did the same over on the other side. Since the new EPCOT isn't adding any new rides in Future World, but actually losing exhibits I am not sure it will feel any better in terms of getting a full day. (Rat isn't very long and MP seems to be a carousel at this point). The park would need at least 5 more rides to bring it up to pre-1990s overall ride time
For sure. I miss 13-15 minute Omnimover rides. I know we won’t be getting any more of those at EPCOT anytime soon, but we are getting a new themed coaster, an interactive pavilion with many hands-on activities, two new Circle-Vision films, two new standard films, a walk-thru interactive attraction, and something related to Mary Poppins. Couple all of that with SSE, Space, Test Track, Imagination, Living With The Land, Soarin, The Seas exhibits, Turtle Talk, Frozen, and everything else in World Showcase, and at least EPCOT is gonna be a full day park again.

Rich Brownn

For sure. I miss 13-15 minute Omnimover rides. I know we won’t be getting any more of those at EPCOT anytime soon, but we are getting a new themed coaster, an interactive pavilion with many hands-on activities, two new Circle-Vision films, two new standard films, a walk-thru interactive attraction, and something related to Mary Poppins. Couple all of that with SSE, Space, Test Track, Imagination, Living With The Land, Soarin, The Seas exhibits, Turtle Talk, Frozen, and everything else in World Showcase, and at least EPCOT is gonna be a full day park again.
The new films replace old films. Seas always had exhibits. Frozen replaced Maelstrom. So basically with the exception of Rat, nothing is being added that brings the amount of time in a ride up to where it was in the old days. If you feel there's not much to do now, I can't imagine the addition of a 5 minute ride will improve that.

ohioguy

It looks as though visitors - like the culture - voted with their pocketbooks and their feet, as they say. It's hard to challenge people to enjoy an edutainment experience in an era of lowest common denominator reality shows and thrill rides.

graphite1326

I think it's more difficult to "edutainment" the rides, when everyone can fact check everything on their phones. Maybe Epcot is just trying to reinvent itself as to stay ahead of the curve. Epcot is/was just a unique and special theme park, that it just makes it tough to stay a step ahead of the future.
Yeah I thought the same. The rapid changes in technology are going so fast I think Disney has found it impossible to build an attraction that would give us a glimpse into the future that would not be outdated in a few years or even months. Maybe that is why the new approach.

EPCOTCenterLover

Yeah I thought the same. The rapid changes in technology are going so fast I think Disney has found it impossible to build an attraction that would give us a glimpse into the future that would not be outdated in a few years or even months. Maybe that is why the new approach.
In that case ~ even though I think you’re correct ~ Horizons should have never been demolished. Last time I checked, no one was living in outer space or under the sea.

graphite1326

In that case ~ even though I think you’re correct ~ Horizons should have never been demolished. Last time I checked, no one was living in outer space or under the sea.
I never got to see Horizons. However, I have seen videos. It seemed that the ride itself was outdated and could have needed updated in that area. Kinda like updating your living room so it doesn't look 70ish. If that makes sense.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Original Poster
No, we aren’t. But we do have FaceTime and cleaning robots.

Horizons should definitely still be here. Just would need some minor updates here and there. Kinda how Carousel of Progress desperately needs a new final scene.

correcaminos

No, we aren’t. But we do have FaceTime and cleaning robots.

Horizons should definitely still be here. Just would need some minor updates here and there. Kinda how Carousel of Progress desperately needs a new final scene.
No kidding. I have a voice activated oven and the scene is so far off from reality. Not to mention the 80s looks... though some of those are coming back again lol

I wasn't saying that edutainment was easy to keep. Just that it's been long gone. I won't say if it is good or bad to keep. The flooding of IPs is a sad thing to me as we have plenty of other parks for that. It is what it is, but not thrilled. Loved the uniqueness of Epcot. Now they are doing MK 2.0 with the rides. Frozen never should've been allowed but they did it after seeing the changes with the Seas. It's downhill from there. GOTG just sealed that fate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom