Trip Report It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas! *COMPLETED*

The soothing croon of Michael Bublé kept reverberating in my mind as I pondered starting yet another trip report. Like summer, the Christmas season makes me happy. Going to WDW during the Christmas season makes me VERY HAPPY. The joy of sharing my trips with my WDWMAGIC friends makes me happier still. Thank you for the encouragement to keep on writing!

Holiday Vacation #1
When: November 16-23, 2019
Where: Disney’s Pop Century Resort and Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
Who: Tuvalu and Woody

Looky! I finally got a Magic Shot!

8C56E00E-3234-4EFE-BE77-9111D4282F2B.jpeg

Okay, so it’s a bit creepy. But it leaves no doubt that this was a CHRISTMAS trip.

In mid-November. :hilarious:

But hey, we had Halloween in August!

And yours truly was very excited to experience Christmas decor at the resorts and in 3 of the 4 parks. (Epcot was still in full “Food and Wine” mode.) It wasn’t always this festive in November. We’ve been this same week in the past and outside of MK, there was very little decorating completed. I was so disappointed the year we stayed at WL (very close to turkey day) and missed out on the holiday stuff. I was worried the same thing would happen again. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

Woody, on the other hand, is a “Let’s celebrate Thanksgiving before shifting our focus to Christmas” kind of guy. Growing up, his family did not put up their tree until CHRISTMAS EVE. (Can you imagine?!!) Over the years he has mellowed, thanks to my influence, and better tolerates the Christmas creep. Yet I was concerned that his inner Scrooge might reveal itself during this vacation.

I needn’t have worried. But I’m getting ahead of myself again.

Our week consisted of some new experiences and old experiences....some frustrations....some drama (of course!)....and a very magical meet.

Stay tuned.

Minnesota disney fan

I swear that you and Woody attract the yellers and crazies, LOL! What was the chance of that?

We live in N. Mn. and have to take a connector from our town to the twin cities. Then we catch a flight to MCO. The problem is: our small airport only has 3 flights a day to MSP, 5AMish, noonish, or ll:30PMish. That's it. We always take the early flight. Yep we get up before 3am and get to the airport at 3:30 or 4:00am. I am a walking zombie but Roger is fine, grrrrr! Then we either have a 2 hour or more wait for our flight to MCO or a 45 minute wait! Not too many choices there! We usually arrive at MCO around 1pm. It makes for a long, long day but is the best of our limited options. Good thing we are morning people!
Also, I can't believe that flight attendant sang that type of song for families heading for Disney. Honestly, how do you do it? These things seem to happen to you a lot!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
They actually priced out a flight coming back at 3:15 am - from a city where the airport is at least 45 mins away! And then others at 7ish. I wrote back saying I don’t take flights like that for private travel, please find me better options!
:jawdrop:

As for eye-opener flights, I always take those. Well, o.k., I'm a morning person to begin with, but there's a few things to consider. First of all, usually the first flight out is always on schedule (versus "some" later ones, that might start to get backed up, due to various delays). Secondly, you arrive at Disney sooner, so by the time you get to WDW, you have additional hours more of your day, to enjoy the parks(s).
I definitely am an early morning flight person. 1. Because I used to work for the airlines, and the later the flight, the chance for more delays and/or cancellations. 2. Because I always want to get where I'm going asap.
I always take the earliest non-stop flight from Nashville to Orlando. Want to get there as early as possible, but I am a morning person. They do really well with the security lines at BNA and I can usually get breakfast before boarding a SW plane.
My DH and I have done many 6:00 am flights because the price seems to be too good to pass up. I tend not to sleep the night before a trip to WDW anyway so why not get down to our Happy Place as early as possible.
I agree with all of you about the benefits of an early morning flight. I just prefer to depart in the 8 am hour rather than the 6 am hour. ;) 🤣

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
As for the remodel of the airport Disney store, I like the tile work design (Mickey) on the floor entrance. But the "like" stops at the door -- the inside (from what I could see) is that standard, cookie cutter display and horrible glaring, overhead lighting. Pass.
When the Mickey flooring is the best part of the store you know there's a problem.

This is getting me excited about my upcoming trip even more - by the way, I did add a solo night at the Contemporary to the end of my trip and that gets me two more days for Disney! YAY! Although, I have talked about solo, this will be my trial trip for maybe a repeat in October.
Happy to hear your treating yourself to a night at the Contemporary and two additional Disney days!

I'm so excited for Part Tu...I am taking my mom in two weeks for a short two night trip. She hasn't been in about 18 years and this is our once in a lifetime girls trip! Hoping to get a couple tips from your trip...since you gals are pros! Thankfully we aren't doing an early morning flight but unfortunately our flight times have been changed and we won't land until 6pm :(
Have the BEST time with your mom!

Yeah part Tu is there!
Yay! The dynamic duo is back for Part Tu!!! I'm so excited to read more. I especially love that I get to relive the holidays (again!) with this one :inlove:
Can't wait for another Tuvalu and Em trip report!
Howdy, friends!

I swear that you and Woody attract the yellers and crazies, LOL! What was the chance of that?
Also, I can't believe that flight attendant sang that type of song for families heading for Disney. Honestly, how do you do it? These things seem to happen to you a lot!
I always say.....I just can't make this stuff up! :joyfull:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday, con’t

There weren’t that many people waiting at DME, but we did not board a bus for over half an hour. Our wait actually exceeded the posted “30 minute” sign.

Em was all smiles once we were onboard.

633F80C1-D231-4884-B5AA-3C9178273F60.jpeg

We sent the selfie to Woody.

EE7B6569-2655-44F4-80AD-3083D5C986EF.jpeg

Though Saratoga Springs was not listed on our load zone sign, the driver announced SS would be the first stop. People did get off the bus at Saratoga Springs, so we wondered if Port Orleans passengers were a late addition to the SS bus (and perhaps a reason we waited so long?)

Our stop was next.

5DFCAE0E-986A-427F-9914-08C42187B648.jpeg

“Welcome Home!”
D7386ECC-CCFA-47CF-B35A-9AF50D0946BE.jpeg

I’d received a text that our room wasn’t ready, but I thought we should check with the Front Desk to see if there were any available rooms. We’d planned an afternoon nap and it would be reassuring to know we had a room to come back to.

There was a long check-in line, so we decided to use the restroom and grab a bottle of water first.

Lots of purple and gold in the holiday decor!
7BB84838-BCFC-4406-8971-E7361CAF59FE.jpeg

The new location for beignets....

F23947B6-D780-43B8-ADEE-B96C72C34CD5.jpeg

....and an expanded seating area for the food court.

CC2B6BE5-EE44-4462-8641-DC8056F67EA3.jpeg

I see you, Em!
8194146D-DE58-4DFB-A357-45367F29A531.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
There was no one in line when we went back to the reception area. CM Sharon was able to find a room ready for immediate occupancy and she asked for all our MagicBands to code, so we wouldn’t have trouble unlocking the door. (We always travel with more than one band each.)

F88DCD8C-D40B-459A-B6BF-73D39A7A5F7D.jpeg

We were assigned a third floor room in Building 7. It was a very quiet location.

98E1F007-3346-45AE-89FF-006CD010464C.jpeg

Our room was nearer the stairs than the elevator, so we got a nice extra workout each day. Plus this was the view coming down the steps ~

955AD983-5E15-4BED-AFD7-53CAEB39A620.jpeg

The next pic was the view outside our room. “View” in a moderate or value resort is less important to me, since all rooms have exterior corridors and no private balcony.

3DADCA77-4082-40A0-A22F-10D6D46303DE.jpeg

Room interior

F453BBC2-41CB-4D8E-AFF4-3CED0EA33F39.jpeg

Mickey head Mardi Gras beads

2743DB7E-7C6B-4D71-87C4-D9E03A34EE57.jpeg

Mirror-palooza!

E4B34F7D-FA49-4674-A36F-809A289FB508.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I should have subtitled today: The day of 30 minute waits. First the airport security line, then DME, and now for the bus to take us to our first park.

FDAC2D2E-612D-4C08-9FF6-587BA05186AE.jpeg

Hang on to your hats and glasses, cause look where we’re going!

FD801F42-A6FD-4799-959E-683C1B319C03.jpeg

The bus went directly to AK. It did not share with POR.

Had to get a picture in front of our second favorite park tree. (The tree is our second favorite, not the park. 🤣)

44CDF9AB-1450-47CD-81B6-287C01D4F2CB.jpeg

No wait at the AP entrance!

0F4C5B1D-9C8E-432D-ABFE-E739FA8F530B.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Em and I had FPs later at a different park so we were just gonna go with the flow during our time at AK. The weather was comfortable (cloudy with a nice breeze) ~ and would end up being the best weather of our trip.

I had gushed about the Merry Menagerie winter puppets to Em, and to our delight they were out when we reached Discovery Island.

2010AEE2-E72F-49FB-BEF7-72FF7AD3BF83.jpeg

2B7A6BF5-3390-45F1-8725-D48E5A288ED2.jpeg

The puppeteers were so gentle with young children.

5F970DB1-474C-45BF-BB45-65EBD39A4BB7.jpeg

I hadn’t seen the birds on my last visit.

EDDF6AD5-5695-491F-8097-F9EC05930BFF.jpeg

I was bummed the penguins weren’t out as they were my favorite and I had hoped to see them again.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Glad to see CM Sharon. Frank and I checked-in with her at FQ the day Hurricane Irma hit Orlando. We were very nervous! 😨
She was great during those stressful days.

French Quarter has a special place in our hearts for many reasons. Glad to see you and Em chose FQ this time around!

Your comment about cherishing the relationship between a mother and her adult daughter, touched my heart for personal reasons. 😌

Last edited:

93boomer

Premium Member
There was no one in line when we went back to the reception area. CM Sharon was able to find a room ready for immediate occupancy and she asked for all our MagicBands to code, so we wouldn’t have trouble unlocking the door. (We always travel with more than one band each.)

View attachment 444633

We were assigned a third floor room in Building 7. It was a very quiet location.

View attachment 444639

Our room was nearer the stairs than the elevator, so we got a nice extra workout each day. Plus this was the view coming down the steps ~

View attachment 444638

The next pic was the view outside our room. “View” in a moderate or value resort is less important to me, since all rooms have exterior corridors and no private balcony.

View attachment 444637

Room interior

View attachment 444634

Mickey head Mardi Gras beads

View attachment 444635

Mirror-palooza!

View attachment 444636
Home :inlove:

lindawdw

It's a bit frustrating when you have to wait that long on the ME bus line since you're so excited to get to WDW! Glad they had a room available for you to drop off your things and know you had a place to go to for your afternoon rest! I missed seeing the puppets at AK in December so you were so lucky to see them upon entering!!!

pkkurz

Woody and I had time for one attraction before lunch. We cut through the Tomorrowland Terrace, which seems to be open only for dessert parties these days. I thought the silver bows over the serving windows were funny.

View attachment 443046

Are purple wall pics even a thing anymore?

View attachment 443047

Yes, I know we just rode TTA PeopleMover (twice) last night.
Doesn’t mean we can’t do it again. Third times a charm, right?

View attachment 443048

Woody looked intrigued by Astro Orbiter.....

View attachment 443049

....so I snapped a couple pics from this unusual vantage point.

View attachment 443050

View attachment 443051
Purple wall is still a thing
296150E0-7F9C-4C5D-9719-F7D9CAF144C9.jpeg

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Glad to see CM Sharon. Frank and I checked-in with her at FQ the day Hurricane Irma hit Orlando. We were very nervous! 😨
She was great during those stressful days.
French Quarter has a special place in our hearts for many reasons. Glad to see you and Em chose FQ this time around!
CM Sharon helped me on my summer trip to POFQ as well!
Sharon was a consummate Front Desk CM ~ I’m not surprised she was instrumental in helping you both.
I adore POFQ. Favorite moderate hands-down. (Amiright @93boomer? 😉😁)

I missed seeing the puppets at AK in December so you were so lucky to see them upon entering!!!
I hope they appear again next season!

I can’t see your attachments. ☹️

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We perused the stores on Discovery Island but made no purchases.

3A6F8BE9-A3BA-40EA-A20C-1B015F1AD539.jpeg

Em and I continued our park exploration with a visit to Pandora.

281FF2E9-3B5C-49DA-AF85-2DA916E0F5B7.jpeg

Wait times for the two major attractions were INSANE. Thankfully the one attraction I needed to experience didn’t have a line.

D3C7150B-F476-4B05-AD66-8581294620D5.jpeg

If the Tangled restrooms are Disney’s prettiest, these win the prize for ugliest. (At least on the outside ~ the interior is SO MUCH CLEANER than that atrocity in Tomorrowland.)

I admit to under-appreciating the details in Pandora. But I like the water features and made Em pose in front of a small waterfall. Her facial expression reveals her true feelings about posing here.

240E9238-AA2D-47C0-BF82-6198137567A1.jpeg

Robot Santa? Santa Robot? This place confuses me!

16DDC1B7-04E7-4C32-95D4-20854BB5A2BD.jpeg

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
There was no confusion in deciding where to have lunch. It’s the main reason we ventured to Pandora.

AD3ED13A-9F8A-4AFB-92A1-35B7BCC50DF8.jpeg

3A7C1956-646D-418E-9612-6E00943698A9.jpeg

OK, truth be told ~ it’s the main reason we came to AK! Well, that and the Christmas tree. :joyfull:

I’d never noticed the floating rocks on the beer tap before!

20ED5735-5991-4F84-BEA3-B4A76B5EE4F6.jpeg

We’ve never used mobile ordering here at Satu’li Canteen because the line moves fast and the food comes out so quickly. And if you don’t mobile order, you can get your sauce on the side.

Chicken and noodles for me, beef and rice for Em.
8231634C-F018-427D-8FF4-FFCA063F7802.jpeg

We found a table along the wall.

F73BB5EA-8AC5-4EFD-8D69-F064CF79D22B.jpeg

522C7BAF-095A-4361-ABA8-577A9CDDE721.jpeg

Food was yummy as always and hit the spot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom