Is Universal going to catch up to Disney on nighttime shows?

JusticeDisney

In my honest opinion, the way UOR is going now, it will surpass Disney very shortly. UOR is putting money towards the parks and making it better for the customers - whereas Disney is not. I always felt UOR followed behind Disney.. Disney did everything bigger better and first....but not anymore. Move over Disney - here comes UOR!
I would recommend that you not hold your breath.

wdwfan22

I watched Cinematic Celebration on YouTube and between the score even tho know it’s just arranged it’s still better than what where getting at Disney right now. Pyro is lacking but they did good for what they have and the fountain display is like something you would have once seen at Epcot. I enjoyed it despite there still in their early days of nighttime shows but they seem to be really trying. I’d say their next show could be the game changer. Who knows what Epic universe may have to offer in the firework department. By the way Universal ha stolen my heart with those fountain shows. I mean what’s the difference between Ipcot and Universal besides the World Showcase?

I’m sorry but cinematic celebration is nothing but a clip show with fountains. Disney surpasses them with enchantment and harmonious as they both have full scale fireworks in the show.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I’m sorry but cinematic celebration is nothing but a clip show with fountains. Disney surpasses them with enchantment and harmonious as they both have full scale fireworks in the show.
Harmonious to me is the worse show ever, Enchantment on the other hand has grown to be one of my favorites.

Andrew25

My wife and I both love Universal and Disney, but what you're asking is very subjective. You may enjoy Universals show ten times more and that's fine and for you to decide. However the only real way to measure or compare them is guest reaction and whether these shows actually attract more guests or keep them in the park longer. I don't believe Universal really puts in as much effort with their shows, or doesn't have the knowledge to do so personally. Again it's very subjective but I've never really seen anyone talk about a Universal show like it's an event in itself or seen them wait in a good viewing spot way in advance (perhaps they do, I've never heard or seen that though?)

I do think Universal has the most popular evening ticketed event though in Halloween Horror Nights. That's an event that really brings in the crowds and whilst it costs a fortune to build all those houses etc, they certainly make a healthy return on it. Things like that are probably more measurable as you can clearly look at numbers, rather than going off which has the better night show and saying one is better than another down to your own personal enjoyment of them.

I agree with your statement on Universal not being recognized as a show/entertainment leader, which arguably is their own fault as they don't really market shows. Their shows are great, but just don't get as much recognition due to their lack of IP or marketing. Cinematic Celebration is a Disney-caliber nighttime show, yet you can walk right into the viewing area 2 minutes before with a great view.

Horror Make-Up is one of the better shows in Orlando, but because of it's name and lack of marketing, it doesn't attract as many people.

mergatroid

I agree with your statement on Universal not being recognized as a show/entertainment leader, which arguably is their own fault as they don't really market shows. Their shows are great, but just don't get as much recognition due to their lack of IP or marketing. Cinematic Celebration is a Disney-caliber nighttime show, yet you can walk right into the viewing area 2 minutes before with a great view.

Horror Make-Up is one of the better shows in Orlando, but because of it's name and lack of marketing, it doesn't attract as many people.
Indeed, it's like a hidden gem in a tiny theatre. The actors really make that show. I've never seen a bad performance although the many times I've seen it, it's ranged from good to very good to absolutely superb depending on the duo performing (well 3 performing if you include the 'surprise' at the end though they don't do much acting).

Vinnie Mac

Yup. The latter is the majority of Distwitter. At least give some constructive criticisms instead of just calling it garbage which is far from it in my opinion.
Exactly. Like some complaints are valid like limited views of the center barge AKA Stargate and then some others are pretty ridiculous and reek of "I hate this show just to hate it."

But hey, I'll quote my guy Offhand Disney: "Speaking of lackluster firework shows do you know what HarmonioUS isn't? That."

Vinnie Mac

Has less to do with marketing and the actual quality. Cinematic Celebration is good, great even, but you'll find it very hard to convince me or the average person that Cinematic Celebration is as good as Happily Ever After, Illuminations Reflections of Earth, HarmonioUS, Minnie's Wonderful Christmastime fireworks, Mickey's Not So Spooky Spectacular, Fantasmic, or even Fantasty in the Sky.

Does marketing have a least some role in the popularity of these shows? Sure they do. But let's not pretend like the actual quality of the shows aren't the reason for why people love the shows I mentioned.

EPCOTCenterLover

Just went to Universal Orlando to see Harry Potter (for the first time). The nighttime show is great! As good as anything saw at Disney. Then went to Diagon Alley. Incredible! As a longtime old school Imagineering fan, I was shocked with what I found there. (Trip report here.)

eliza61nyc

I keep reading that on here but then some of the same people who've said it say when they saw it in the park themselves, the spectator response was terrific with people dancing and whooping. Numerous people have said this in the Harmonious thread and yet I keep reading on here that everyone agrees it's no good?
I think one issue is everyone compares it to illuminations.
Illuminations was a "once in a lifetime " show. Music, lights and story were all on point

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom