Is Universal going to catch up to Disney on nighttime shows?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
I watched Cinematic Celebration on YouTube and between the score even tho know it’s just arranged it’s still better than what where getting at Disney right now. Pyro is lacking but they did good for what they have and the fountain display is like something you would have once seen at Epcot. I enjoyed it despite there still in their early days of nighttime shows but they seem to be really trying. I’d say their next show could be the game changer. Who knows what Epic universe may have to offer in the firework department. By the way Universal ha stolen my heart with those fountain shows. I mean what’s the difference between Ipcot and Universal besides the World Showcase?

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
For anything that doesn't involve air space I believe that Universal might just surpass most Disney offerings. Uni just doesn't have the location for aerial displays with pyro or lasers.

Andrew25

Disney has the advantage of recognizable IPs with great musical/visual selections, but Universal has shown they can do the exact same thing.

Cinematic Celebration is way better than the latest Disney shows outside of Happily Ever After and World of Color.

Heck, the nighttime parade at Universal Japan is way better than MSEP or Paint the Night.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
For anything that doesn't involve air space I believe that Universal might just surpass most Disney offerings. Uni just doesn't have the location for aerial displays with pyro or lasers.
They do a great job for no air space and they put Hollywood to shame showing there’s no excuse for that lack of pyro Galactic Spectacular had. I have a feeling once Epic Universe opens there going to pull some tricks out of their sleeves.
Disney has the advantage of recognizable IPs with great musical/visual selections, but Universal has shown they can do the exact same thing.

Cinematic Celebration is way better than the latest Disney shows outside of Happily Ever After and World of Color.

Heck, the nighttime parade at Universal Japan is way better than MSEP or Paint the Night.
I hope they get a night parade, that seals the full transition deal for me when that happens. Cinematic Celebration is a great show, it would make an awesome firework show to. If it were up to me a fountain or fountains would be installed in front of the Theater to accompany these shows.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

They should attempt to do so. Disney has been setting the standard and Uni leaps over it. But no matter how hard they try Uni just cant topple Disney. If they are going to succeed, nows the time when the pricing of Genie and other policies are making guests question which park destination makes more sense for them.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Uni's current issue is the limitation of space. When EPIC opens and if the current trajectory of both companies continues - then Uni stands a real fighting chance to catch and possibly surpass. All speculative of course. But Disney is going to need to up the game a bit - so we all win.

chama1

I love Universal and Disney but at certain times a year Universal out does Disney...it's more walking friendly as everything is in one area...clubs, movies, shops, food...etc...easier for families...their Meet-and-Greet events are great, tickets are pricey but compared to what you get at Disney's special events Uni includes food/drinks/park rides and for these two day events. Plus during the Holidays they have a beautiful full concert with Mannheim Steamroller included with the price on your Uni day ticket when their performing...Disney is good but if they keep raising their prices, etc. ppl will start evaluating which parks give more "bang for the buck"...I still will go to Disney but not as often.

mergatroid

I watched Cinematic Celebration on YouTube and between the score even tho know it’s just arranged it’s still better than what where getting at Disney right now. Pyro is lacking but they did good for what they have and the fountain display is like something you would have once seen at Epcot. I enjoyed it despite there still in their early days of nighttime shows but they seem to be really trying. I’d say their next show could be the game changer. Who knows what Epic universe may have to offer in the firework department. By the way Universal ha stolen my heart with those fountain shows. I mean what’s the difference between Ipcot and Universal besides the World Showcase?

My wife and I both love Universal and Disney, but what you're asking is very subjective. You may enjoy Universals show ten times more and that's fine and for you to decide. However the only real way to measure or compare them is guest reaction and whether these shows actually attract more guests or keep them in the park longer. I don't believe Universal really puts in as much effort with their shows, or doesn't have the knowledge to do so personally. Again it's very subjective but I've never really seen anyone talk about a Universal show like it's an event in itself or seen them wait in a good viewing spot way in advance (perhaps they do, I've never heard or seen that though?)

I do think Universal has the most popular evening ticketed event though in Halloween Horror Nights. That's an event that really brings in the crowds and whilst it costs a fortune to build all those houses etc, they certainly make a healthy return on it. Things like that are probably more measurable as you can clearly look at numbers, rather than going off which has the better night show and saying one is better than another down to your own personal enjoyment of them.

DocAndy

I've heard Universal has to limit its fireworks somewhat due to the neighborhoods (with homes) behind the parks. (Dr. Phillips neighborhood including the high school is right there)... It took years after the park opened before they would even be allowed to do the fireworks they do, they later made exceptions on holidays but the neighborhood codes may be limiting the amount of fireworks (and aerial noise) they can generate in the neighborhood for a routine basis. Epic is being built in a different area, so they may not be as restricted. I could be wrong, but I think I remember this discussion many years ago.

Giss Neric

Something still not mentioned here that is important is emotion. Technicality wise, yes Universal can overtake Disney but Disney still has emotion. The emotional aspect of their recent shows (Harmonious and Enchantment) is clearly lacking that is why a lot of people dislike it. People are just so used to tearing up or even cry watching a Disney nighttime spectacular.

For me, it's not always about the wow factor but how the show's production combined with the music moves you. I still get emotional watching Fantasmic even though I have seen it dozens of times.

It's also in the IPs. I don't think I would ever become emotional watching the Minions or Trolls. How to Train your Dragon, probably.

Last edited:

mergatroid

Something still not mentioned here that is important is emotion. Technicality wise, yes Universal can overtake Disney but Disney still has emotion. The emotional aspect of their recent shows (Harmonious and Enchantment) is clearly lacking that is why a lot of people dislike it. People are just so used to tearing up or even cry watching a Disney nighttime spectacular.

For me, it's not always about the wow factor but how the show's production combined with the music moves you. I still get emotional watching Fantasmic even though I have seen it dozens of times.

It's also in the IPs. I don't think I would ever become emotional watching the Minions or Trolls. How to Train your Dragon, probably.
I keep reading that on here but then some of the same people who've said it say when they saw it in the park themselves, the spectator response was terrific with people dancing and whooping. Numerous people have said this in the Harmonious thread and yet I keep reading on here that everyone agrees it's no good?

In my honest opinion, the way UOR is going now, it will surpass Disney very shortly. UOR is putting money towards the parks and making it better for the customers - whereas Disney is not. I always felt UOR followed behind Disney.. Disney did everything bigger better and first....but not anymore. Move over Disney - here comes UOR!

Gringrinngghost

In my honest opinion, the way UOR is going now, it will surpass Disney very shortly. UOR is putting money towards the parks and making it better for the customers - whereas Disney is not. I always felt UOR followed behind Disney.. Disney did everything bigger better and first....but not anymore. Move over Disney - here comes UOR!
Comcast has given UOR basically an unlimited budget. That being said they are still doing cuts.

Gringrinngghost

A lot of Issues for UOR in the department is the proximity to residential.

Giss Neric

I keep reading that on here but then some of the same people who've said it say when they saw it in the park themselves, the spectator response was terrific with people dancing and whooping. Numerous people have said this in the Harmonious thread and yet I keep reading on here that everyone agrees it's no good?
It's great for casual goers, tourists, once in a lifetime visitors etc. It's just not up to par with a lot of die hard fans. Then there is a portion of fans who just hate everything.

I mean a lot of people literally describes this as a Disney concert so of course you will see people dancing and whooping. I mean who wouldn't with the Coco and Princess and the Frog segments.

Vinnie Mac

It's great for casual goers, tourists, once in a lifetime visitors etc. It's just not up to par with a lot of die hard fans. Then there is a portion of fans who just hate everything.

I mean a lot of people literally describes this as a Disney concert so of course you will see people dancing and whooping. I mean who wouldn't with the Coco and Princess and the Frog segments.
Some people dislike it for genuine reasons, some people dislike it because they wanted it to fail anyway.

Giss Neric

Some people dislike it for genuine reasons, some people dislike it because they wanted it to fail anyway.
Yup. The latter is the majority of Distwitter. At least give some constructive criticisms instead of just calling it garbage which is far from it in my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom