Is trip insurance worth it when you're not flying to Orlando?

wannaBatWDW

My family and I will be traveling by car to WDW in July for a 10 day stay. This will be our 4th trip in the last 10 years and I have never before purchased the vacation insurance that Disney offers. However, I have been looking into it this time, just wondering if it would be a good idea. I have learned that Disney's insurance is about $60/adult and kids are covered under the adult's insurance. When the package is booked through AAA, they offer insurance too, which is slightly more expensive and kids are not covered under the adult. I have good health insurance and good homeowner's insurance (for possessions), so I'm wondering if the only thing this would really be helping with is reimbursement for the WDW package cost in the event of my having to cancel the trip at the last minute or if the trip is terminated early for some emergency.

Can anyone give me any informed insight? Thanks in advance!

tigsmom

My family and I will be traveling by car to WDW in July for a 10 day stay. This will be our 4th trip in the last 10 years and I have never before purchased the vacation insurance that Disney offers. However, I have been looking into it this time, just wondering if it would be a good idea. I have learned that Disney's insurance is about $60/adult and kids are covered under the adult's insurance. When the package is booked through AAA, they offer insurance too, which is slightly more expensive and kids are not covered under the adult. I have good health insurance and good homeowner's insurance (for possessions), so I'm wondering if the only thing this would really be helping with is reimbursement for the WDW package cost in the event of my having to cancel the trip at the last minute or if the trip is terminated early for some emergency.

Can anyone give me any informed insight? Thanks in advance!

That is basically what its used for, I believe. We always buy the insurance because packages for 4 are pretty expensive. We've only had to cancel a vacation once, but received a full refund.

Upvote 0

wannaBatWDW

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback, Tigsmom. I have not looked at Disney's refund policy that would apply when there's no insurance. Without the insurace, do you know if you would have been able to receive any money back at all?

Upvote 0

Alztybrn

Another reason to not purchase the insurance, is if for some reason you had to cancel at the last minute, I believe you can always reschedule the trip with no penalty. We have never purchased the insurance either (always drive)

Upvote 0

pixiedusttravel

Thanks for the feedback, Tigsmom. I have not looked at Disney's refund policy that would apply when there's no insurance. Without the insurace, do you know if you would have been able to receive any money back at all?

This is from Disney's Site:

Cancellation and Change fees:
-For a cancellation made 44 to 6 days prior to arrival, there is an additional cancellation fee of $100 per package plus any cancellation fees assessed by hotels or other suppliers.

-For a cancellation made 5 days or less prior to arrival, there is an additional cancellation fee of $200 per package plus any cancellation fees by hotels or other suppliers.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

This is from Disney's Site:

Cancellation and Change fees:
-For a cancellation made 44 to 6 days prior to arrival, there is an additional cancellation fee of $100 per package plus any cancellation fees assessed by hotels or other suppliers.

-For a cancellation made 5 days or less prior to arrival, there is an additional cancellation fee of $200 per package plus any cancellation fees by hotels or other suppliers.

Thanks for finding that. :wave:

As far as rescheduling, for us its not possible to do in a timely manner...it would be a year or so before we could get back.

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

Here are the best reasons that Disney's Vacation Protection Plan (travel insurance) is a very good investment when driving to Disney:

Full Cost Travel Cancellation / Interruption Protection

This trip insurance pays covered financial losses related to this package that are incurred if you must cancel your trip or interrupt your vacation for reasons beyond your control, such as:
*Sickness, Injury or Death of travelers, or immediate family members and business partners not traveling with insured Guest.
*Inclement weather conditions at Walt Disney World or your home town prevent you from traveling or or forcing you to returning home early.
*Primary residence made uni-habitable by fire, flood, or natural disaster prior to or during vacation.
*Any Guest on the reservation receive a Jury Duty notice or is a Subpoenaed Witness, preventing you from traveling.

Travel Delay $200 per day / per guest ($600 per guest maximum)

This pays for additional accommodations and travel expenses up to $200 a day until travel can resume if your travel is delayed for over twelve hours for reasons such as a flat tire, traffic accident, or other mechanical difficulty while traveling or if weather caused a travel delay. If you are stranded in a strange town, you can use the included LiveTravel Service (see below) to aid in finding a mechanic and hotel accomodations.

$2000 Loss OR Damaged Baggage

This covers items lost, stolen or broken on your trip. This may include any electronics (camera, cell phone, laptop or PDA) that may be lost or stolen during your vacation and also included are any souvenirs you may purchase during your stay. For example if you purchase a snow-globe that breaks on the way home, you can summit a claim to recover the cost of not only the snow-globe, but also any of the clothing that were damaged if it broke while inside your luggage.

$10,000 Medical Expenses

This pays for doctor, hospital, ambulance services, and prescription medication for initial treatment, which must be received during the trip. In addition, the plan covers expenses up to one year from date of injury or sickness and for emergency dental expenses during the trip. No daily limits or deductibles apply. This will also cover in-room doctor care if required. Unlike many Insurance companies, pre-existing conditions are covered as long as the Guest was capable of travel for 60 days prior to their vacation and their Insurance was purchased and paid before final payment. It’s a fact that children are frequently faced with unplanned childhood illnesses which could cause a delay or interuption in vacation plans. You can feel assured knowing that Insurance will cover you if this should happen.

$20,000 Emergency Medical Transportation
Pays for evacuation to nearest adequate medical facility. If you are driving to and from Orlando, the ride home could be miserable for a family member that becomes injured during vacation and requires proper medical transportation. This policy provides coverage for medical transport and complete case handling to ensure that your family is taken care of properly.

24 hour Travel Emergency Assistance *** a BIG plus!
In addition to the coverage included in the Vacation Protection Plan, Travel Guard provides assistance throughout your vacation with LiveTravel - a 24-hour virtual travel agency. Below is a list of services that can be reached by calling LiveTravel:
• 24-Hour Medical Assistance
• Emergency Medical Payments
• Transportation of Dependents
• 24-Hour Legal assistance
• Emergency Cash Transfer
• Medical Evacuation
• Prescription Assistance
• Emergency Message Center
• Travel Documents Assistance
• Interpretation Services
• Flight changes
• Lost luggage tracking
• Hotel reservations
• Ground transportation reservations

LiveTravel provides access to services and information from the day you purchase your insurance policy until the day you return home from your vacation. All benefits provided by LiveTravel are service benefits, not financial benefits. Any costs associated with these benefits will be paid by the named Insured.

Even if you have a hotel reservation at the half-way point in your drive, you might realize that the kids are not going to make it in the car one more hour - call Livetravel for efficient changes to your existing reservation and assistance with the best hotel to meet your needs.

This insurance program was developed specifically for Guests traveling to Walt Disney World. The policy offer by Disney is one of the most comprehensive in the industry and has the lowest cost for the coverage and services recieved.

Note: If you choose to purchase the insurance coverage, it must be purchased prior to making your final payment or with payment of non-refundable air tickets. Airfare is covered only if booked by Disney as part of your vacation package. Insurance is non-refundable 14 days from date the insurance is booked, regardless of when deposit was made. You will receive a Certificate of Insurance with your final documents, which describes your benefits and exclusions in detail. The cost is currently $59.95 per Adult (age 18+) and coverage includes all children (age 0-17) on the reservation at no additional cost. Insurance coverage is provided by TravelGuard, a division of InsurAmerica.

Upvote 0

wannaBatWDW

Original Poster
JP......Thanks so much for posting these details! Seeing the details behind the usual 'bumper sticker' version of the list of coverages is very convincing that it is a good investment.

Upvote 0

wannaBatWDW

Original Poster
To me, that's like saying "I've never been in a automobile accident, so I don't need to wear a seatbelt".

However, if you happen to mean that you've cancelled or shortened a trip and 'never had a problem', then I assume that means you were able to recover all costs you lost.

Upvote 0

tink rules

To me, that's like saying "I've never been in a automobile accident, so I don't need to wear a seatbelt".

However, if you happen to mean that you've cancelled or shortened a trip and 'never had a problem', then I assume that means you were able to recover all costs you lost.

Well... I HAVE been in an accident and just because I was wearing my seat belt didn't mean I didn't still need help when something went (in my case) horribly wrong....

Check out what it covers and see if it works out for you. You may have something come up even last minute that forces cancellation or rescheduling.

Remember...pennywise, pound foolish...

Upvote 0

wannaBatWDW

Original Poster
Well... I HAVE been in an accident and just because I was wearing my seat belt didn't mean I didn't still need help when something went (in my case) horribly wrong....

Check out what it covers and see if it works out for you. You may have something come up even last minute that forces cancellation or rescheduling.

Remember...pennywise, pound foolish...
You seem to have interpeted my reply as though I wouldn't buy the insurance. Not true. I will be buying it. I was trying to point out that ilovepluto seemed to think they didn't need trip insurance because they've never had a problem. The next trip they make could be a different story and they'll wish they had it.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom