Is This True?!

Rinx

Original Poster
A little while ago I heard this from a former CM. She said Johnny Depp sometimes makes surprise appearances in MK as Jack Sparrow. I've never taken time to notice but she continued saying that Jack Sparrow never wheres his hat in the parks and that if you do see him wearing it, that means it's Johnny Depp. She said he has appeared in parades before. I don't usually watch any of the parades and can't think of one that the character might have appeared in.

I know he travels with his costume because he often visits children's hospitals as Jack so I wouldn't be shocked if true but I'm still skeptical.

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No
I've read reports of him at DL, but never WDW. I can tell you that the Jack Sparrow that I saw in MNSSHP was definitely not him. :D

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
DLR, but not WDW. He also visits the Children's Hospitals in the LA area dressed as Jack Sparrow. I think that's pretty terrific!
Just remember that he is not doing it because he cares, but doing it only for the publicity. And I also thinks it's terrific.

Bandini

Just remember that he is not doing it because he cares, but doing it only for the publicity. And I also thinks it's terrific.
Wow, the only reason I knew that he visited children's hospitals is because I heard it from a patient's family. I never saw anything in the media about it. Does he notify the press before an appearance?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Wow, the only reason I knew that he visited children's hospitals is because I heard it from a patient's family. I never saw anything in the media about it. Does he notify the press before an appearance?

Sources? I'm not saying that might not be the case, but it seems pretty cynical to say he's only doing it for the publicity.
Sorry, my sarcasm got the best of me. @Bandini and I went around about how Disney only donates to charity or does charitable things for publicity, and he/she claimed that all companies do that. Well, Disney OWNS the Jack Sparrow character - Johnny Depp does not, so any time he is in public in character, it must be Disney seeking publicity.

I don't think he does it for the publicity at all, just like I don't think Disney does their charitable work for publicity. They do it because it's the right thing to do.

Bandini

Sorry, my sarcasm got the best of me. @Bandini and I went around about how Disney only donates to charity or does charitable things for publicity, and he/she claimed that all companies do that. Well, Disney OWNS the Jack Sparrow character - Johnny Depp does not, so any time he is in public in character, it must be Disney seeking publicity.

I don't think he does it for the publicity at all, just like I don't think Disney does their charitable work for publicity. They do it because it's the right thing to do.
Well, good for you!

Bairstow

I would love to see Depp doing Sparrow. Anyone know if he has done it lately? Im assuming its a rare occurance.
My understanding is that he only pulled off the stunt 3-4 times, it was always at Anaheim, and it's been several years since he's done it.

mouse_luv

The only parade is MNSSHP that he could pull this off in WDW. Also, there's word out that a few years back Lady Gaga got in costume for the HM section of the same parade and appeared and no one realized.

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate
A little while ago I heard this from a former CM. She said Johnny Depp sometimes makes surprise appearances in MK as Jack Sparrow. I've never taken time to notice but she continued saying that Jack Sparrow never wheres his hat in the parks and that if you do see him wearing it, that means it's Johnny Depp. She said he has appeared in parades before. I don't usually watch any of the parades and can't think of one that the character might have appeared in.

I know he travels with his costume because he often visits children's hospitals as Jack so I wouldn't be shocked if true but I'm still skeptical.

If this is true, then maybe we did meet the true Jack Sparrow! ;) My brother and I did think this pirate was a dead ringer for Captain Jack--I swear, I couldn't stop giggling because we thought he looked and sounded just like Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow. This photo was taken while we were visiting in December 2014, during the MVMCP.

Attachments

• MK_VMCARRIBBEANPLZCHAR_7119677283.jpeg
    MK_VMCARRIBBEANPLZCHAR_7119677283.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 167

Otterhead

A friend of mine is a former Disney animator who's a pretty scruffy looking guy with bad teeth, and when he squints one eye and makes a "yarr!" face, he's a dead ringer for a character from Pirates. One of his favorite gags is to go to WDW and hang out in the Pirates gift shop with a bandanna on, posing dramatically, robotically moving his arms, and people mistake him for an AA. He's there less often these days but you used to be able to catch him there every weekend.

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate
Hate to burst your bubble, but that does not look like Depp. It might be, but personally I dont think thats him.

Haha of course it's not Depp! He was close and we were impressed, but I couldn't imagine that an actor of his fame would be doing meet and greets for MK

Sonic Sunglasses

It's surprising just how easy it can be to do Depp's Sparrow accent and mannerisms. I did a Sparrow-esque pirate at Renaissance festivals a few years ago and got lots of praise over the thread-for-thread "Zombie Jacks" who turned out in droves. If I were a good bit younger, I'd be tempted to try for the job at MK. It's bloody great fun!

Mark48

If this is true, then maybe we did meet the true Jack Sparrow! ;) My brother and I did think this pirate was a dead ringer for Captain Jack--I swear, I couldn't stop giggling because we thought he looked and sounded just like Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow. This photo was taken while we were visiting in December 2014, during the MVMCP.
That " Jack Sparrow " is Johnny Depp.....and I am George Clooney.....:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom