is this the catalyst????

epcot71

Original Poster
im just curious on your thoughts on this one

MONSTERS INC. as we all know slammed the box office this weekend and if it continues will be a huge hit for disney.
if so this might be what disney needed to get back on track in all its divisions-heres some possibilities

a-disneyland,walt disney world,and disney california adventure-
new attractions and new parades-maybe with an "e" ride roller coaster type attraction form the movie scene.
b-eurodisneyland-once movie hits europe i think same wave of new attractions and shows
c-tokyo disneyland/disney sea and once open hong kong disneyland additional attarctions and shows when movie hits asia.
d-disney consumer products gets major pump with the big want of monster inc. dolls,games,shirts,etc. with every wal-mart,target, and k-mart having hoards of merchandise from the film
e-disney internet group,disney interactiver,and the new buena vista gaming division pumping out new games and interactive fun from the film.
f-the disney store- having major displays of items from the movies with hot new merchandise
g-walt disney pictures-what about monsters inc.2 and maybe 3??
h- what about disney channel or ABC with new mini series or new cartoons on saturdays of monster.inc??????????

i bet michael eisner is finally saying "phew its about time"
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

DisJosh

I dont see why they wouldnt.......they've done it with Toy Story. I wouldnt mind at all either b/c Monsters Inc has got to be my fav Disney movie to date!

Cindylou

We just saw Monsters tonight. What a warm, funny movie. I loved it, and so did my husband and 21 year old daughter. They make it so believable. Everyone should go and see it.

NowInc

Funny you should mention all this:::

Ok...Disney kinda KNEW Monsters Inc would totally clean up at the box office...so they did do a tad bit of pre-planning...

John Lasseter has been scene walking around Disney's California Adventure on a few occasions (a few months ago at this point) which is a good indication of a possible Monsters Inc themed ride to show up in this park....probobly first. This would all make sence too considering that by the time the ride would OPEN...DCA would be prime for the addition. Chances are it won't be an "E" ticket tho...seeing how "Disney Cartoon" based rides are hardly made into "E" tickets....usually original ride concepts get that honor.

Who knows....only time will tell :animwink:

Tink

Originally posted by Cindylou
We just saw Monsters tonight. What a warm, funny movie. I loved it, and so did my husband and 21 year old daughter. They make it so believable. Everyone should go and see it.

I agree, Cindylou. It is a warm movie, especially when you consider that it was primarily computer generated. The beauty of this movie is that you forget how it is made and just get lost in it. Sometimes computer assisted animation is distracting and cold, like in the movie trailer for "Jimmy Neutron" (?) which was featured before Monsters, Inc. In Monsters Inc., the average audience member is not thinking about the incredible technology that brought it to the screen. They are involved in the story and characters. And you're right - everyone should go and see it.

NowInc

Originally posted by Tink
Sometimes computer assisted animation is distracting and cold,. [/B]

Computer assisted?...heh...not really. Computer Assitance is more like a few effects done in computers..with the majority of the work done with live pictures or 2D drawings.

Monsters Inc is a full blown Computer Animated Feature. Very Impressive and definatly the BEST one of the year. (comparied to Shrek, Final Fantasy, Ice Age, and Jimmy Neutron..its far superior)

Just to clarify...This post isnt meant to be "mean" or anything...just figured I'd tell ya the correct term...most of my fellow computer animators would explode if they saw the term "computer assisted" attached to a full length movie like Monsters Inc

And yes..if anyone hasn't seen it yet...do so!!

Lofatrules

wow

Just read on www.ew.com that Monsters Inc. took in 63.5 million bucks this weekend. Not only is that huge but it is unheard of for the first weekend of november. That would be huge even for a Memorial Day 5 day opening. Glad to see that people will still go for the diversion of a good movie. I think this can only mean good things for Disney and maybe even the economy in general

Tink

Originally posted by NowInc

Computer assisted?...heh...not really. Computer Assitance is more like a few effects done in computers..with the majority of the work done with live pictures or 2D drawings.

Monsters Inc is a full blown Computer Animated Feature. Very Impressive and definatly the BEST one of the year. (comparied to Shrek, Final Fantasy, Ice Age, and Jimmy Neutron..its far superior)

Just to clarify...This post isnt meant to be "mean" or anything...just figured I'd tell ya the correct term...most of my fellow computer animators would explode if they saw the term "computer assisted" attached to a full length movie like Monsters Inc

And yes..if anyone hasn't seen it yet...do so!!

I know you're not being mean, NowInc, and thanks for the correction. :) I do know that Monsters Inc is a computer animated feature and I agree that it is far superior to any computer animated feature to date. I guess what I was trying to indicate by "computer assisted" is that the computer doesn't do ALL of the work independent of animators - meaning that the computer is a "tool" in the hands of very talented people. Do you know what I mean? I guess I should just watch my terminology, eh? Thanks again for setting the record straight! :)

dopey

i loved monsters inc. too, but one hit movie alone can't cure all that ails disney. it's a good boost at a crucial time.

and it's inevitable that there will be a monsters-themed ride at one of the parks. but will anyone go to dca just because there's a monsters ride or to any other park just cuz sully and mike are in the parade? doubt it.

sorry for being a wet blanket, but there are lots of challenges left ahead for the mouse house. we haven't even seen if monsters can hold ground against harry potter. for the record, my money is on monsters over the long haul; if anything, because it's an hour shorter than hp, which makes monsters more favorable to parents who don't want to sit on their keisters for 2 1/2 hours. plus, the shorter running time allows monsters to be shown in theaters more frequently, thus, more revenue.

getting back to dis, there's also the problem of leaning too heavily on any one film. overexposure can lead to death. look at how mr. potter is being marketed. wb doesn't want to burn out the franchise, so they've toned down the promos and limited the tie-ins. if you're planning a monsters sequel or two, you don't want people getting sick of the characters. beyond that, pixar has the ice age and finding nemo to worry in the next couple years and churning out a monsters sequel ain't like making police academy 14.

but i ramble.

NowInc

Originally posted by Tink

I know you're not being mean, NowInc, and thanks for the correction. :) I do know that Monsters Inc is a computer animated feature and I agree that it is far superior to any computer animated feature to date. I guess what I was trying to indicate by "computer assisted" is that the computer doesn't do ALL of the work independent of animators - meaning that the computer is a "tool" in the hands of very talented people. Do you know what I mean? I guess I should just watch my terminology, eh? Thanks again for setting the record straight! :)

LoL....yeah...you are absolutly right...90% of the work is done by animators (humans)....so TECHNICALLY it could be called "computer assisted"...but don't go telling any of my friends that..heh..

Sheri

I sopposed to have gone to see on Thursday but I couldn't because I remember I had taekwondo :( I might go on Saturday though:)

Chris

I have noticed that Disney is really pushing the Monsters Inc concept through all of it's owned assets. My wife watches soaps on ABC and I was in the room the other day when a Halloween party scene was on one of them. Two of the soap characters were dressed as Mike and Sully. Kind of cool.

monorail256

it was a very good movie... just got to see it yesterday... its really cool for kids and grown ups to.. i think disney could do somethign with this possibly.. humph.. who knows... lol
later:p

dwldzm9

Toy Story Instead

Funny you should mention all this:::

Ok...Disney kinda KNEW Monsters Inc would totally clean up at the box office...so they did do a tad bit of pre-planning...

John Lasseter has been scene walking around Disney's California Adventure on a few occasions (a few months ago at this point) which is a good indication of a possible Monsters Inc themed ride to show up in this park....probobly first. This would all make sence too considering that by the time the ride would OPEN...DCA would be prime for the addition. Chances are it won't be an "E" ticket tho...seeing how "Disney Cartoon" based rides are hardly made into "E" tickets....usually original ride concepts get that honor.

Who knows....only time will tell :animwink:

OK, I don't want to be a downer or kill this idea because you could very well be correct... BUT,

John Lasseter had very little to do with Monsters. Pete Doctor was the director for this one, and although I'm sure Lasseter had SOME input on the film he neither wrote the script nor created the concept so I would think that if he (Lasseter) has been seen snooping around DCA it would be for the purpose of studying where to put another Toy Story ride - possibly another Buzz Lightyear? I had heard that rumor before I think. While we are on the subject though, I did hear they were thinking of using the Monsters in the redo of JIYM, while kind of adding Figment to their team - which would seem logical.

Again - you might be right. I don't want anyone to think I am being Neg. because I am fairly new around here and do respect everyone's opinion. I just thought that maybe this could be a possibility as well.

bye all

bob

P.S. Just thought it was interesting that I went to see Monsters last Fri. AFTER work at the 11:00 PM showing and it was full of kids my age - 21 & up (college crowd). I think Disney has latched onto a demographic they never thought of with the Pixar films.

NowInc

All true facts..except you forgot to mention that John is in fact the head of Pixar...so everything goes thru him no matter what.

dwldzm9

All true facts..except you forgot to mention that John is in fact the head of Pixar...so everything goes thru him no matter what.

Very True...

I just figured that if they were going to build a monsters ride they would include Doctor in the process as well since he was the major creative force behind the picture. Heck, we might both be right! Doctor might have been with him and just noone recognized him. Either way, it can't be a bad sign, since another ride based on either movie is sure to be kewl!

bob

NowInc

Originally posted by dwldzm9

Very True...

I just figured that if they were going to build a monsters ride they would include Doctor in the process as well since he was the major creative force behind the picture. Heck, we might both be right! Doctor might have been with him and just noone recognized him. Either way, it can't be a bad sign, since another ride based on either movie is sure to be kewl!

bob

I am actually assuming that Doctor was with him....no one knew what he looked like (well...most people still don't)...so they prob just assumed he was just another person...

I'm not counting out the possibility of another ToyStory themed ride...but I think it will be unlikley....ESPECIALLY with the #'s that Monster Inc are bringing in

dwldzm9

You are right...

I am actually assuming that Doctor was with him....no one knew what he looked like (well...most people still don't)...so they prob just assumed he was just another person...

I'm not counting out the possibility of another ToyStory themed ride...but I think it will be unlikley....ESPECIALLY with the #'s that Monster Inc are bringing in

Yeah, I hadn't thought of that.

The only way another TS ride would be built is if there were plans for a third installment... which seems very unlikely given the rumored situation between Pixar and Disney reguarding the contract... which i believe states that sequels don't count towards fufilling their promised number of films. I have the utmost respect for both Jobs and Eisner but sometimes they need to forget their egos and look at the tremendous financial boon the film would provide for both Pixar and Disney... lord knows disney could use an announcement like that to boost stock prices.

NowInc

Uhhh...I wouldn't count out a Toy Story 3

Yes..the CONTRACT expired..but that doesn't mean Disney can't commision them to do more...besides...I know a few things that I can't talk about regarding Disney/Pixars future involvments. I Can tell you this...expect a few more sequals to more Disney/Pixar projects...I just can't give any details (My contract prohibits me from doing so....dam rules)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom