Is this magical or creepy?

tonganprince

The screens were exposed, but not operating, at small world the first time we rode it last week. Last night they were concealed by static screens.

I was telling the fam to watch for the end of the ride and nothing happened. Kind of a let down. My son did see a poster at RnR with his name on it and my daughter's showed up at Everest (I had her magic band).

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I would actually love that!

Yeah! Lot of spooky ideas could be tried with this technology:
Name could be said by one of the AA ghost
Constance (that would be interesting)
Talking Raven AA (he needs to return "Rawk!")
On death certificate held by a hitchhiking ghost
Materializing on a Tombstone in the attraction's graveyard scene
Said by the "Ghost Host" as you enter and exit (Yes!)

JohnD

Disney claims this enhances the guest experience.

When you go on or exit certain attractions your party's name (and in some locations where you are from) appear on a screen. We noticed this at Space Mountain, Its a Small World, Star Tours, Rocking Roller Coaster, Mission Space....

It feels a bit creepy knowing that Disney knows were we are at all times.

Thoughts?

I don't think it's creepy but if it's at the expense of refurbishing actual elements of the ride, I am against it. I remember there was an earlier discussion about guests' names in IASW while noticing that, at the time, the sun effect wasn't spinning. But, hey, I get to see my name. Whoopie.

Update: It seems the screens are covered up. That didn't last long.

JohnD

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking this type of thing is being phased out. The screens at the end of It's a Small World no longer exist or at least are covered up. It seems much of the My Magic Plus isn't doing what was intended because of moves like this one and the fact that the second touch points are no longer used. At one point in time, there was talk of all sorts of "enhanced" experiences that didn't seem to materialize.

"materialize". I see what you did there.

I am Timmy

Yeah! Lot of spooky ideas could be tried with this technology:
Name could be said by one of the AA ghost
Constance (that would be interesting)
Talking Raven AA (he needs to return "Rawk!")
On death certificate held by a hitchhiking ghost
Materializing on a Tombstone in the attraction's graveyard scene
Said by the "Ghost Host" as you enter and exit (Yes!)
This is one of my favorite rides (nostalgia, and I might be slightly creepy) and your ideas would blow my mind if they ever ran with any of them. I hope they read these blogs - these are great ideas!

Nastory4

I don't mind it. Actually it makes me feel more at home, and probably helps the CM's start a conversation to add to the personal guest experience.

I heard they did do that, but I missed it. I had every intention of going back there to see the updates. Then I read they stopped doing the personalized RFID stuff on that ride and "it's a small world" because polled guests found it corny. (So maybe it's not "creepy" or "magical", but corny!

So last year when I rode HM, at the end it came up with 'See you in the UK....' which is where I traveled from........thought it was creepy at the time but also very very awesome!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom