Is this magical or creepy?

parkhopper1213

Original Poster
Disney claims this enhances the guest experience.

When you go on or exit certain attractions your party's name (and in some locations where you are from) appear on a screen. We noticed this at Space Mountain, Its a Small World, Star Tours, Rocking Roller Coaster, Mission Space....

It feels a bit creepy knowing that Disney knows were we are at all times.

Thoughts?

DisneyJoe

If you used a FP+, or even the old system Fastpass system, they would know attraction you rode and when. They always know what park you are in based on your tickets. They know what you like to eat unless you pay with cash.

Jess G

Although the general idea of anybody tracking you is creepy ... If I'm in Disney track my every step I don't care lol. Find me @ the parks, the resort or downtown lol ... oops I mean the "Springs" :(

Goofyernmost

I'm sure everyone would prefer the old camera watching you all the time which was used for years and years before RFID was used. Let's see they have on average about what 18000 guests a day, so all those acres of WDW that we think aren't being used are actually underground concrete, secret, buildings where they hire 18000 people to make sure that all of the guests are individually monitored. They are especially interested in your bathroom habits so that they know whether or not they should order additional toilet paper due to your being full of it and it has to come out some time.

I don't suppose that they would know that you are coming out of an attractions because you just scanned when you went in and they are assuming that at some point you will be coming back out otherwise they have to go in looking for you. When you are grocery shopping or in a public building have you ever wondered what those funny looking dark brown bubbles on the ceiling are there to watch. I'll bet it is just in case some of the stock has been expressing discontent recently and they want to make sure that they don't make a break for it for their freedom.

I know I have been a little out there, but, unless you live under a rock you know that you have been being watched for years now. But, here's the real important part, unless you are wanted by the CIA no one cares about what you (your name) is doing, they are tracking bodies and keeping count, and as a perk they try and personalize your stay so you aren't just one of the 18000, but, have a name and are a real person and not just a number. In todays world that is something that we don't achieve often.

Or maybe Walmart had a year end clearance on tin foil hats.

Sonconato

Disney claims this enhances the guest experience.

When you go on or exit certain attractions your party's name (and in some locations where you are from) appear on a screen. We noticed this at Space Mountain, Its a Small World, Star Tours, Rocking Roller Coaster, Mission Space....

It feels a bit creepy knowing that Disney knows were we are at all times.

Thoughts?
I'm not sure, but I'm thinking this type of thing is being phased out. The screens at the end of It's a Small World no longer exist or at least are covered up. It seems much of the My Magic Plus isn't doing what was intended because of moves like this one and the fact that the second touch points are no longer used. At one point in time, there was talk of all sorts of "enhanced" experiences that didn't seem to materialize.

GVentola

The only time this would be creepy is if the HM ghosts acknowledge you as you depart the Mansion.
I heard they did do that, but I missed it. I had every intention of going back there to see the updates. Then I read they stopped doing the personalized RFID stuff on that ride and "it's a small world" because polled guests found it corny. (So maybe it's not "creepy" or "magical", but corny!

DisneyJoe

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking this type of thing is being phased out. The screens at the end of It's a Small World no longer exist or at least are covered up. It seems much of the My Magic Plus isn't doing what was intended because of moves like this one and the fact that the second touch points are no longer used. At one point in time, there was talk of all sorts of "enhanced" experiences that didn't seem to materialize.
They were active in November on Small World on our trip

Goofyernmost

If it is being phased out it is being done because of attitudes like we have heard expressed. It isn't a necessary part of anything and it was just a side offering from the MM+ setup. It wasn't being done to track anyone, heck, ET has been doing that kind of wave goodbye for as long as it has existed in Uni. It just was something to surprise and personalize the other wise cold non-connected attraction to the guest. But, as usual, tin hat's had to ruin it for everyone with their whining about being tracked which, btw, is happening with or without the process. It's just that it seem impossible to get people to realize that the only connection they have with you is electronically. They know where you have been, they don't know what thing you intended to go to once you left nor to they care or have time to care on an individual basis. It does tell them where the biggest crowds are in the parks in real time and perhaps allows them to beef up or slim down the need for support in those areas. That isn't going to stop. All that is going to stop is that personal little touch. And heaven knows we don't need any of that kind of useless stuff.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And these StoryMaker effects just started to show up in the queue for Star Tours. So, it's not going away. Yet. Maybe.

The weird thing is that, AFAIK, Disney has never officially announced StoryMaker as a thing which exists in parks to enhance your experience. It seems all experimental still.

graphite1326

Years ago (10 or more) I took my boys to Blizzard beach while my wife went to Downtown Disney shopping. She bought something at the Disney store and used her card (back before wrist bands) to pay for it. The woman cashing her out said, "I see the rest of your family is at BB. I hope they are having fun." So Disney knowing where you are is nothing new.

KAY823

In November, my husband's band would not register going into Hollywood Studios. They called a CS manager to help. She had a handheld, what looked like an iPad, scanned the magic band, asked what parks we had been in earlier in the day, hit a button, and pulled up still photos of my husband scanning his band at the other parks. I was beside her because I had no problem getting in. I had no idea that they had this much information with the photos which she digitally enlarged to see his face. I thought it would have been a digital record of when the band was scanned but no clue they had photos. It was kind of creepy but I get it with all of the insanity in the world. Nevertheless, it was a bit jarring.

peter11435

They are not being phased out. The technology is being upgraded behind the scenes to make it more reliable. It just recently returned to some attractions such as the haunted mansion. It may not return to all attractions that once had it. Not because it's being phased out but simply because they are identifying where the effect works and is appreciated and where it is not.

The second touch points are no longer used at many attractions to make the queues move more efficiently. They were never there to accomplish anything more than the function of collecting your Fastpass that the merge cast members did with the paper Fastpass system. They were unnecessary for the most part.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom