Is there hope for The Disney Channel????

Is there hope for The Disney Channel????

• They should start over with all the programming

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Do away with some of the sitcoms (i.e. Shake It Up)

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Bring back some of the 'Old Disney Channel' shows

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Have a seperate channel that just shows 'Old Disney Channel'

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Leave it alone, the current Disney Channel is fine the way it is

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.....

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The vast number of complaints seem to be falling victim to what I call the Golden Age fallacy. People remember what they liked on the Disney channel when they were kids and expect those same shows, subjects, formats, etc. The reality is that tastes and markets change and the Disney channel changes with them. The Disney Channel is not programmed to appeal to a now 35 year old that liked it when they were 12. It is programmed to appeal to the current 12 year old. At best I could see Disney coming out with a second channel or possible late night programming that could appeal to a classic audience.

The only complaint that I have is that they need to show more of the Disney Junior programs during the summer. I can't wait until disney Junior has thier own channel.

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
The vast number of complaints seem to be falling victim to what I call the Golden Age fallacy. People remember what they liked on the Disney channel when they were kids and expect those same shows, subjects, formats, etc. The reality is that tastes and markets change and the Disney channel changes with them. The Disney Channel is not programmed to appeal to a now 35 year old that liked it when they were 12. It is programmed to appeal to the current 12 year old. At best I could see Disney coming out with a second channel or possible late night programming that could appeal to a classic audience.

I definitely agree with that. Of course, some of the shows are still horrible. For me its most of the sitcoms..they're just bad. Bad writing, bad acting, not funny-IMHO anyway.
But yes, if they come out with a seperate channel or late night programming with vintage Disney Channel or something similar I think that would be a great addition.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I definitely agree with that. Of course, some of the shows are still horrible. For me its most of the sitcoms..they're just bad. Bad writing, bad acting, not funny-IMHO anyway.
But yes, if they come out with a seperate channel or late night programming with vintage Disney Channel or something similar I think that would be a great addition.
To us they are but we are not the market that Disney is shooting for. There are several shows on various kid networks that make my eyes bleed but my 10 year old daughter loves them. Sure, a show that appeals to both is ideal but it is also hard to do well. Many of these shows just go after the low hanging fruit and there is nothing wrong with that. Every show can't be Phineas and Furb.

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
To us they are but we are not the market that Disney is shooting for. There are several shows on various kid networks that make my eyes bleed but my 10 year old daughter loves them. Sure, a show that appeals to both is ideal but it is also hard to do well. Many of these shows just go after the low hanging fruit and there is nothing wrong with that. Every show can't be Phineas and Furb.

Yup,....thats what's frustrating. :brick:

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
Here is a list of the shows currently on Disney Channel:

First-run original live-action series

Wizards of Waverly Place (October 12, 2007–present)
Good Luck Charlie (April 4, 2010–present)
Shake It Up (November 7, 2010–present)
So Random! (June 5, 2011–present)
A.N.T. Farm (June 17, 2011–present)
PrankStars (July 15, 2011-present)

First-run acquired live-action series

My Babysitter's a Vampire (June 27, 2011–present)

First-run original animated series

Phineas and Ferb (August 17, 2007–present)
Fish Hooks (September 24, 2010–present)

Reruns of former Disney Channel series

The Suite Life on Deck (September 26, 2008–May 6, 2011, first-run; 2011–present, reruns)

Disney Channel short series

Movie Surfers (January 1, 1998–present)
TTI (The Time I...) (2008–present)
Cars Toons: Mater's Tall Tales (October 27, 2008–present)
What a Life International! (2009–present)
have a laugh! (October 26, 2009–present)
Friends for Change (2009–present)
My Family Tree (2010–present)
Take Two with Phineas and Ferb (December 3, 2010–present)
Friends for Change Games (June 24, 2011–July 31, 2011)

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
Disney XD programs....

Original live-action programs
I'm in the Band
Kickin' It
Pair of Kings
Zeke and Luther

Original animated programs
Kick Buttowski: Suburban Daredevil

Original movies
Skyrunners
Midnight For Charlie Bone (2012)

Acquired programs

American Dragon: Jake Long
The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
The Emperor's New School
Fantastic Four
Fish Hooks
Gargoyles
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man
Jimmy Two-Shoes
Kid vs. Kat
The Legend of Tarzan
Naruto Shippuden
Phineas and Ferb
Rated A for Awesome
Silver Surfer
Spider-Man
Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends
Spider-Man Unlimited
Storm Hawks
The Suite Life of Zack & Cody
The Suite Life on Deck
X-Men
X-Men Evolution

Short series

SportsCenter High-5
Next X
Team Smithereen[2]
Marvo the Wonder Chicken[3]
RoboDz Kazagumo Hen[4][5]
The Secret Life of Suckers[6]
Wipeout Moments
Winter Wipeout Moments
Run, Alien, Run!

Former Programming

Original live-action programs
Aaron Stone

Acquired programs
A.T.O.M.
Batman: The Animated Series
Chaotic
Cory in the House
Digimon Frontier
Digimon Data Squad
Even Stevens
The Famous Jett Jackson
Fillmore!
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
Get Ed
Jackie Chan Adventures
Legend of the Dragon
Monster Buster Club
NBA Fit
Phil of the Future
Pinky and the Brain
Power Rangers: Jungle Fury
Pucca
The Replacements
Static Shock
Super Robot Monkey Team Hyperforce Go!
Superman: The Animated Series
Yin Yang Yo!

WDWisAMAZING

I really am not happy with the current Disney Channel. They really should keep some re-runs of the older shows. All of the shows have a lot of the same ideas and scenery. In every show, someone has a special talent. Why can't there be a Disney Channel show like Full House or Family Matters?

invader

What happened to having shows based off of past / upcoming animated movies?! What happened to having original ideas?!

Good Luck Charlie = Spin on Life with Derek & Full House
Shake It Up = America's Best Dance Crew & Hannah Montana
Wizards of Waverly Place = Harry Potter & Twilight
So Random! = All That! and SNL
A.N.T. Farm = That So Raven (Special Powers)
PrankStars = Punk'd and Pranked
My Babysitter's a Vampire = Disney Channel didn't even make it!

I really have no hope for Disney Channel at the moment, oh and don't even get me started on the new Disney 365 intro!

KeithVH

I get what people are saying about the target audience for the current programming efforts but . . .

I wonder if they studied how they could extend to other market sgements (age groups) with more varied programming. There is a distinct lack of variety throughout the current offerings.

When you consider the depth and breadth of what is available from the last 50+ years, they could attract of lot of other viewers who do want to see something other than tweens or really poor cartoons. I dunno, Vault Disney on steroids? But not in the middle of the night. Primt time stuff. Think of all the made for TV stuff we all used to watch on Sunday nights. Things like that.

Hmm. Maybe yet another channel would be the way to go?

DisneyJoe

What happened to having shows based off of past / upcoming animated movies?! What happened to having original ideas?!

What harm does it do to remake a show for a new generation? My 8yo son never saw America's Dance Crew (neither have I), and he came in at the ending of Hannah Montana (he didn't watch it for a long time because it was for girls...). Harry Potter and Twilight are very dark - Wizards of Waverly Place is not. While All That! was a great show for its time - my 20yo was a regular viewer - why can't this new generation have it's version?

Kirk88

My kids are 7, 3, & 2. Unless it's Disney Jr. or Phineas & Ferb, they don't watch Disney Channel. I think there's too much teeny bopper sitcom stuff and not enough animation. My kids love watching DVDs of Rescue Rangers and all the old Disney animated shorts. Oh well, guess it's a new generation.....can't wait for a Disney Oldies channel!

WDWmazprty

Original Poster
My kids are 7, 3, & 2. Unless it's Disney Jr. or Phineas & Ferb, they don't watch Disney Channel. I think there's too much teeny bopper sitcom stuff and not enough animation. My kids love watching DVDs of Rescue Rangers and all the old Disney animated shorts. Oh well, guess it's a new generation.....can't wait for a Disney Oldies channel!

Yeah, the old shows were just better, now it seems they just throw something together just to put it on tv. I get that Disney is trying to cater to the new generation, but I wish they would remember that the new generation aren't the only ones who still watch their channel. Like another poster said, The Disney Channel used to be for everybody, now, it looks like its just for the kids. SMH, I really hope for some kind of change to happen.

Kirk88

Well, since our kids are the new generation, maybe the progamming will change! LOL I know my kids won't watch anything live action unless there's a talking animal or somebody in a goofy costume (ie. The Wiggles). They could really careless about the kiddie sitcoms. Then again, they are still young.

I really have no hope for Disney Channel at the moment, oh and don't even get me started on the new Disney 365 intro!

Life With Derek & Full House = All In The Family/Mama's Family
Hannah Montana = The Beverly Hillbillies
Harry Potter & Twilight = Neverending Journey, The Storyteller, & Interview With a Vampire
All That and SNL = The Carol Burnett Show
That's So Raven = I Dream Of Jeannie
Punk'd and Pranked = Candid Camera

All shows are remakes if you pick out a few details, with everything that's ever come out something is going to be sort of alike.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom