is there a chance that the Magical Express will come back?

bjlc57

Original Poster
i see that Disney is restoring some previously lost traits.. However.. i really miss and totally enjoyed the Magical Express.. is there a chance that this will return.. has any one got some good insight on this.. thanks again.. no ripping please .

jloucks

I will start out by saying that it is a factor in my decision on where I want to vacation. For two reasons...

The cost savings. About equal to two decent dinners.

Additionally, killing the Magical Express was, for me, symbolic of Disney Corp's investment in my experience. I took (minor) offense to the move.

So, to answer your question, unless Disney changes their investment level in the customer experience, it won't be back.

They will not change their investment if the parks continue to be crowded.

If park demand declines, they may very well bring it back.

JIMINYCR

It once was a very convenient service that guests used and not having to handle the bags at all was very helpful. Waiting for the buses to leave the airport and then make their way to multiple resorts til they got to yours made guests turn to Uber/Lyft for more timely service. This meant having the ability to check in and hit the parks faster. Guests dont care as much about the expense for the ride when it means faster more reliable service and getting that vacation started. They now are using Uber/Lyft so much in their daily lives that I dont see DME being the attractive service they will turn back to.
I think when it started that Disney was looking at it as a service they were going to provide short term anyway, so I'm doubtful it will make its way back.

jloucks

It once was a very convenient service that guests used and not having to handle the bags at all was very helpful. Waiting for the buses to leave the airport and then make their way to multiple resorts til they got to yours made guests turn to Uber/Lyft for more timely service. This meant having the ability to check in and hit the parks faster. Guests dont care as much about the expense for the ride when it means faster more reliable service and getting that vacation started. They now are using Uber/Lyft so much in their daily lives that I dont see DME being the attractive service they will turn back to.
I think when it started that Disney was looking at it as a service they were going to provide short term anyway, so I'm doubtful it will make its way back.
For me to get "on board" with this theory, DME would have had to been dying. Was it? Last time I rode it in 2017 it was still wildly popular based on witnessed demand.

Granted, that was a good 5 years before they killed it. Maybe it did peter out?

Lyft & Uber are great, if you trust your kids lives to a rando driver. We use(d) Mears Black to get between WDW & Uni for this reason.

Goofyernmost

I think that is somewhat correct, but it's real purpose was to keep guests on the property, paying for three meals a day and not going to Universal for a day or two. That is also why they started to charge for parking even for the guest that was paying upwards of $600.00 per night for a bed. It was to discourage people from renting a car or bringing one of their own, making them free to roam. That one was not thought out long range by Disney.

WDW was opened in 1971 and everyone found a way to go to the resort even if they stayed offsite until 2005. That was 34 years without it as WDW grew and grew and grew. They probably would have continued ME if Uber and Lyft hadn't shown up and threw a monkey wrench in the works by having a reasonably priced alternative to get to Universal easily and with, better yet, on demand pickups.

Having been in the busing business for many years I can tell you that particular perk cost Disney lots and lots and lots of money to keep running back and forth to the airport. You will also notice that the money they saved, that they were in reality, including in the room rates, did not decrease when they stopped the service. It was a huge reduction in the cost with no loss in revenue.

If all things remain the same... no, it will never come back, however, affordable offsite locations may start to revitalize as soon as everyone remembers that all they basically do in those enormously priced rooms is sleep. I, for one, can sleep even better if I am saving up to $500.00 per night and still have access to everything in WDW except a room. They don't even have the early or late resort guest only park times that amount to anything.

In my mind, the only thing you get for that high priced room is poorer.

Last edited:

Ayla

For me to get "on board" with this theory, DME would have had to been dying. Was it? Last time I rode it in 2017 it was still wildly popular based on witnessed demand.

Granted, that was a good 5 years before they killed it. Maybe it did peter out?

Lyft & Uber are great, if you trust your kids lives to a rando driver. We use(d) Mears Black to get between WDW & Uni for this reason.
Interest did not wane. It was as strong as ever.

I do not use Uber or Lyft, ever. No need to and I won't use it on vacation, especially if I'm solo.

The loss of DME has been a huge factor in choosing to vacation elsewhere.

_caleb

I don't think it's coming back for the same reason Disney isn't building a monorail, train, peoplemover, or driverless BRT system between the airport and the parks. But I sure wish they would!

DisneyHead123

I can see a paid bus or shuttle service coming back. $35 per person to ride on a Disney themed bus with some cartoons playing would probably be a decent business proposition for them. I doubt the baggage portion will ever be included again, unless Universal offers a competing service and it takes off.

Goofyernmost

I can't see it returning but I can see them partnering with the Mears Connect service and offering as an extra when booking a package when booking direct with Disney but that's about it.
Mears is still running buses (for a fee) like before. Maybe not as often, I don't really know because I never used it before or now. I always rented a car when I flew in. I like to explore a lot. The last 12 years I live within a 10 hour drive from my door to WDW. But even the one time that I did stay onsite I still rented a car.

NelleBelle

I can see a paid bus or shuttle service coming back. $35 per person to ride on a Disney themed bus with some cartoons playing would probably be a decent business proposition for them. I doubt the baggage portion will ever be included again, unless Universal offers a competing service and it takes off.
I’d actually pay for a Disney bus if I could have my luggage picked up and dropped off in my room. We used to have to pay for the DME to go to Port Canaveral when we’d do DCL. The convenience as worth the price.

Vegas Disney Fan

I’d actually pay for a Disney bus if I could have my luggage picked up and dropped off in my room. We used to have to pay for the DME to go to Port Canaveral when we’d do DCL. The convenience as worth the price.
This is the part we miss the most, checking our luggage in Vegas and having it arrive in our room in Orlando was uniquely Disney and set the whole “magic” tone for the trip.

I miss the magic more than the money.

ME was never about the money or the time for us, it was a convenience and signaled the beginning and (tragical express) ending of our WDW trips.

LeighM

Exactly! We used to pay the airline to have an extra checked bag so that we had room for souvenirs to bring back home without the hassle of getting it on the bus and through the airport. We would also put our carry-ons into it when we had split stays so that only one or two pieces of luggage had to be transported to the next resort. Their recent decisions have definitely changed the way we vacation. But we also don't have as many souvenirs to bring back home since they stopped the merchandise delivery between the parks and your resort. I buy very little now - maybe a pin that can be carried in my park bag and a resort specific shirt, if a good one is available. I won't buy anything unless it now fits into my carry-on bc I don't want to have to pay for them to mail it to my home and take the chance of it getting broken or lost.

NelleBelle

Any onsite stay was eligible for DME, not just packages.
True!! 90% of the time we booked room-only and bought our tickets through DH’s employer at a big discount. We always did magical express and then in later years did a combo of magical express with a car rental. One of us would go with the kids and grandmother to resort, the other picked up the car. We rented when we stayed at DVC resorts like Saratoga that have long bus routes. We also park hopped and hated trying to get anywhere. Much easier with car rental. We also didn’t want to get to the airport when DME had you go. Worked out great!

MaryJaneP

To repeat what has previously been stated, Chance = Yes, Likely = No. Odds seem like 0.01% chance of it ever happening. We always used DME both from airport and to airport at end of trip. We even paid for DME from airport and to airport when cruising DCL out of Port Canaveral. Maybe baggage handling from airport to room is worth considering.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom