Is the Great Movie Ride next?

ProfSavage

Just have everyone gathered in the office thing for the Godfather scene, that would be great. An Amadeus scene would be so awesome, but that would be another one that a lot of people probably would have never heard of and we might have another Footlight parade situation all over again. The musical theater fan in me really wants some newer movie musicals in this ride, don't know what they have rights to though (Into the Woods if it does well???). Would love some Chaplin and Buster Keaton as well.

yeah no Chaplin is kind of a travesty too.

Andsome

Attachments

• creepy.jpg
    creepy.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

Funmeister

They should replace the Fantasia screen with an Animatronic Mickey. Everything else is three-dimensional, so this part has never made any sense.

It was never meant to make sense. That scene was originally supposed to be a projection of the wicked witch from OZ. The contract only allowed DIsney to use a certain percentage of the attraction with OZ. The wall was built and Fantasia (Sorcerers Apprentice) was an emergency replacement literally at the last second. IT was supposed to be a twister not rocks with Mickey on top. Make sense now? lol

MattOrk

I'm talking about the awareness TODAY of these folks (Mayer, Warner etc.) Mention them to the average movie-goer and enjoy the blank stare you'll get. Like I said, they may have heard of Louis B Mayer, but apart from Walt, most studio heads from the past are about as well known as Harry Langdon in film comedy. NO ONE today (again, average film goer) has ever heard of Harry Cohn or Carl Laemmle. Columbia and Universal were AAA studios compared to 20th, Warner and MGM. Baseball wise- The St.Louis Browns were AAA compared to the Yankees....your analogy, while lacking in baseball knowledge is close.

I was replying to your post where you said people were not aware of who owned what. I posted an article from the Los Angeles Times from 1988. Its a widely circulated newspaper. Then you clarified what you meant, and now you are clarifying again. People in the 80s knew what Disney was doing. It wasn't secret. At least not living in Los Angeles. Maybe things are different elsewhere.

We were talking about a certain epoch, 80s, and now we are going to today's audiences. The flow of consciousness is a little erratic. As for the baseball analogy read it again. I said Disney was AAA compared to MGM. Columbia, Universal, and RKO were not small, AAA leaguers, compared to Disney. If you want to say Disney was the Yankees compared to Fleischer, sure. I supposed Columbia was the shoddiest, but they had big stuff too.

I can't argue that Walt's lifestyle was relatively extravagant compared to the average person, but comparing him to Howard Hughes...seriously?

Did I actually say that? Please re-read. Though Walt did own planes, like Howie. Not as many, but how many average people own planes?

Most folks are totally unaware of the connection to Disney with Hollywood Pictures and Miramax, maybe even Touchstone. To them- Disney Castle on header of film=Disney film. Period. I'm not dissing your film knowledge, please don't diss mine.

So we were discussing the 80s and now there is a jump to present folks not knowing. I don't really speak for present folks, but I know as a young man back in the 80s that it was widely reported that Disney was making films under Touchstone, Hollywood, and the other labels. Perhaps that was a unique news event to Los Angeles, but I highly doubt it. I think the real icing on the cake was when Roger Rabbit showed up in Disneyland and the posters for Arachnaphobia that dotted the ticket booths back in the 90s. It's not like Jurrasic Park posters were around. I'm not dissing your knowledge, rather pointing out facts that have created a new discussion based on something else. Its cool.

216bruce

Sorry I confused you. Have a nice day.

I'm not from LA nor do I live there, as it seems you are from your post. We in the Midwest only know what the cows and hogs locally tell us about Hollywood.

Last edited:

TeriofTerror

Yes! Absolutely! Also, no mention of the Godfather (you know, the movie that changed gangster movies) and Amadeus seems to be sad as well. Tarzan has no relevance, especially when people think Tarzan+Disney they think the animated film...
I would love to see a Godfather scene added. And not family-friendly enough? Please. I can tell you that as a child I was way more upset over the death of Bambi's mother or Old Yeller than I was over a few thugs from The Godfather. But don't show the dead horse. That's where I draw the line. ;)
P.S. I like Amadeus well enough, but I do not believe it belongs in a conversation with the likes of The Godfather, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Casablanca, Wizard of Oz, etc. It's simply not of their ilk. Sigh... It's too bad Jaws is so closely tied with Universal. I don't have the words to express the depth of my feelings for that film.

Goofyernmost

Heard a rumor today that TCM ( Turner Classic Movies ) was going to be working with Disney on a redo of the Great Movie ride.
Cool, that would make it much easier to rename the park. It will be "Turner's Movie Extravaganza Park" (colorized for your enjoyment)

Cesar R M

Huh? Walt died in 1966. DHS opened in 1989, 23 years later.

I've read every book on Imagineering and Walt Disney that's been published. Never have I heard about a 1960's concept Walt had for Disneyland or his Burbank Studios that included a walk-thru attraction that took guests through how movies were made. There's not really any evidence that Walt had any input into the Magic Kingdom Park as it opened in late 1971, five years after his death, much less a movie attraction at a third park at WDW twenty three years after his death.

Where did you get the information that Walt had anything to do with the Great Movie Ride??? :confused:
Walt's frozen head still stalk imagineers ;)

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I agree for the most part, but sadly I really think most folks have no clue as to who James Cagney is, maybe even Gene Kelly. Certainly not Busby Berkeley or Johnny Weissmuller. Maybe just change out a few scenes to make more of an impact. I always thought there NEEDS to be a Chaplin scene in this. Maybe open with that and replace Busby Berkeley's all non-dancing stack o' gals. Maybe change out Cagney (who I love) with something from "The Godfather". I don't know what you do with Tarzan, but the present swinging mannequin is embarrassing. The four you mention as classics- perfect as is, but if you have better AA's, feel free to update. Oh yeah, Star Wars in for Alien. Really no excuse on that one now.
I realize that "rights" may be why things are , or are not , as is. But in a prefect world Chaplin needs to be there.

I thought the same as you, until I attended one of the special theatrical showings of Gone With the Wind in conjunction with the 75th anniversary. Thought it will be me with a handful of people my parents' age. Was I wrong. The theatre was sold out and there were teenagers, middle agers and yes, folks my parents' age. And everyone enjoyed the movie. Sad to think there are movie goers who don't know James Cagney and Grace Kelly... And I agree, the Little Tramp needs a presence. After all, it is the GREAT Movie Ride and he made some of the greatest movies.....

216bruce

I thought the same as you, until I attended one of the special theatrical showings of Gone With the Wind in conjunction with the 75th anniversary. Thought it will be me with a handful of people my parents' age. Was I wrong. The theatre was sold out and there were teenagers, middle agers and yes, folks my parents' age. And everyone enjoyed the movie. Sad to think there are movie goers who don't know James Cagney and Grace Kelly... And I agree, the Little Tramp needs a presence. After all, it is the GREAT Movie Ride and he made some of the greatest movies.....
There does seem to be a handful of movies that transcend age apart from Disney classics- GWTW, Casablanca, Wizard of Oz and, maybe, Citizen Kane, Singing in the Rain and King Kong. Glad to see that there is interest in classic Hollywood still! But really...no Chaplin in the ride? It never really dawned on me after riding the attraction dozens of times until I read this thread. Then...BAM. Where is Chaplin? A travesty that he isn't represented beyond a short clip at the end.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom