Is The Grand Too Grand.?

Agent1964fem

Never had the chance to stay but if I could I would in a heartbeat. One of the oddest things I saw was a woman I'd say 40's dressed like Minnie Mouse she even had her nose painted black and it wasn't anywhere near being Halloween. I thought well thats it if I ever get the money together I'm saying here.

kimberlymautz

I got to visit the GF during my trip in December, and while it's beautiful, I don't think I'd want to stay there. Visit? Yes. Actually stay there? No so much. Even as someone just wandering through the CMs and everyone seemed rather nice, but having a friend who is a lifeguard there telling me stories about Tom Cruise and Suri being there and how he had to keep guests away from them so they could have private time swimming just pushes me the wrong way. If I'm on vacation I'm going to enjoy myself, and just because your TOM FREAKING CRUISE doesn't mean you get to shut down a pool just so you can swim by yourself.

DizneyPryncess

I've never stayed at GF, but I wanted to chime in on the afternoon tea.

My mom & I went there a few years ago, and it's one of my favorite Disney memories. We had a wonderful time. It wasn't just tea, we had plenty of food that it ended up being our lunch. I was pregnant, and all of the servers kept stopping to congratulate me. The chef even came out to talk to me about sandwiches, since I couldn't eat soft cheese. He made me some other things that didn't have cheese in it, and was really nice about it. He chatted with us for a few minutes, asked about the pregnancy, etc.

When my husband & Dad were done with golfing, they came by the afternoon tea to say hello. They were a bit loud, from having a few beers on the course. I thought for sure we'd get some looks...but our server was laughing with them for the few minutes they stayed before going to get lunch. Definitely a laid back experience.

As far as staying there, I'd like to someday. But there's others higher on my list. ;)

NiarrNDisney

I wouldn't say I do not like the resort but I can say it is just not for me! GF's look remind me of the Coronado Hotel which can seem upity, drab, and quiet I wish it was a little more like the Boardwalk resort which has a more livelier appeal to it.

Violet

I got to visit the GF during my trip in December, and while it's beautiful, I don't think I'd want to stay there. Visit? Yes. Actually stay there? No so much. Even as someone just wandering through the CMs and everyone seemed rather nice, but having a friend who is a lifeguard there telling me stories about Tom Cruise and Suri being there and how he had to keep guests away from them so they could have private time swimming just pushes me the wrong way. If I'm on vacation I'm going to enjoy myself, and just because your TOM FREAKING CRUISE doesn't mean you get to shut down a pool just so you can swim by yourself.

If that happened to me, I would seriously sue for my money back.

TP2000

Ooh Good Morning Ladies & Gentlemen.. Excuse me if I'am sounding rather posh this morning but Ive just been reading today's food blog and review of The Grand Floridian afternoon tea party..Wow..Now even if I won the lottery there is no way I'd pick this resort to stay at,it's wayyyyyyyy too posh for silly old me..Id need a course on how to talk proper ( elocution ) and my suitcase would have fancy shirts and Versace pants.Now before all you GF fans start to fire your arrows at me.This is only my opinion.I'am from a working class environment and I'd feel so uncomfortable staying here. So to my question.Does anyone else have the same feeling ?

No, I don't share your feelings on the Grand Floridian.

And I'm also from a solid and very proud working class American family. My grandfather was a lineman who worked for Southern California Edison his whole life, and was darn proud of that. And I'm proud of him and from where I came from. But my parents worked hard and I worked hard and I am now in a place where I can afford a week at the Grand Floridian, and have stayed there in the past.

And it's not about how you speak or the words you use, but how you act. Wearing clean and pressed clothes (not grubby t-shirts and ratty shorts) and saying words like "please" or "thank you" or "may I" are all that's needed. Nothing more.

And this grandson of a blue collar Edison lineman was taught how to use those words in public since I could talk, and also how to dress in public when entering a big hotel lobby, and so it's easy to waltz into the Grand Floridian lobby and check into a room and receive good service from the staff. Am I some cheesy Hollywood celebrity or trashy Arabian prince? No. But I know how to act in public and know that it's all just basic courtesy and common sense circa 1950, and so I have no problem staying at the Grand Floridian and getting everything I'm paying for. And you should too, so long as you know common courtesy and basic public etiquette.

Lexxweb

I just don't like the decor inside the rooms. The rest of the resort is gorgeous!

I'm a very modern person so I like modern luxuries which can't really be found at The G-Flo. It's not their style.

Put me down as a +1 for Contemporary :D

real mad hatter

Original Poster
No, I don't share your feelings on the Grand Floridian.

And I'm also from a solid and very proud working class American family. My grandfather was a lineman who worked for Southern California Edison his whole life, and was darn proud of that. And I'm proud of him and from where I came from. But my parents worked hard and I worked hard and I am now in a place where I can afford a week at the Grand Floridian, and have stayed there in the past.

And it's not about how you speak or the words you use, but how you act. Wearing clean and pressed clothes (not grubby t-shirts and ratty shorts) and saying words like "please" or "thank you" or "may I" are all that's needed. Nothing more.

And this grandson of a blue collar Edison lineman was taught how to use those words in public since I could talk, and also how to dress in public when entering a big hotel lobby, and so it's easy to waltz into the Grand Floridian lobby and check into a room and receive good service from the staff. Am I some cheesy Hollywood celebrity or trashy Arabian prince? No. But I know how to act in public and know that it's all just basic courtesy and common sense circa 1950, and so I have no problem staying at the Grand Floridian and getting everything I'm paying for. And you should too, so long as you know common courtesy and basic public etiquette.
Wow! I'am speechless ( for once ) I also worked in the Glasgow shipyards with cursing welder's and 35 years with British Telecom.Anyway good for you that you like the GF....P.S. It's just as well your not that " trashy Arabian prince " You would never get your high horse thro the front door.

Sans Souci

Wow! I'am speechless ( for once ) I also worked in the Glasgow shipyards with cursing welder's and 35 years with British Telecom.Anyway good for you that you like the GF....P.S. It's just as well your not that " trashy Arabian prince " You would never get your high horse thro the front door.

I don't think he meant it like that. I think he just saying people shouldn't feel intimidated by GF. If you go in acting like a yahoo, then you might get peoples' backs up. But you're not like that. :) So, if you really wanted to, you could stay there. I am not fond of it, because it looks like a nursing home in my town.

hiptwinmama

Don't let the English Tea fool you...it is not a great proper English Tea. My daughter and I have a tradition of doing a proper English Tea when on vacations. Grand Floridian's Tea does not measure up to other 5 star/5 diamond resorts (not even close). Our fave High Tea is the Brown Palace in Denver.

Is it too Grand.... for us Yes. When we are at Disney we want to chill and let the kids relax. Last year we planned a meal at the GF to see if we might want to stay there next time. The entire family (specially my hubby) agreed it was too "stuffy" for a Disney Vacation. Don't get me wrong, we love the Ritz Carlton as much as anyone, but It is just not our WDW style. Our fave WDW deluxe resorts are BCV and KV.

real mad hatter

Original Poster
I don't think he meant it like that. I think he just saying people shouldn't feel intimidated by GF. If you go in acting like a yahoo, then you might get peoples' backs up. But you're not like that. :) So, if you really wanted to, you could stay there. I am not fond of it, because it looks like a nursing home in my town.
Well He or She had me convinced it was that crazy woman from California who read every thread of mine and took it the wrong way..As far as being intimidated by the GF. No way. Ive stayed in a 7 star hotel in Dubai that would make GF look like Bates Motel. I was only looking for reactions from other folks..I had to read the thread several times as it looked like I was running him or her down..:(

Jim Chandler

Folks it is not snobby at all. IMHO you are letting some preconceived ideas get in the way of the real GF. It is a real nice place no different than any other resort at WDW. Yes they offer different things just like every other one. As for relaxing you can do that at GF as a matter of fact sitting in the lobby is extremely relaxing having coffee and listening to the music. It is not All Star Sports nor is it Port Orleans. However it is still WDW and WDW as a different experience. You do not dress differently unless you are in a wedding. Believe it or not they are the same people that are at any resort.
As for the Tom Cruise thing Did they really close the pool just for them or just make sure people did not go nuts over him being there?

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I have a lot of tattoos- people there tend to stare more-maybe they are better than be but it's a little hoity toity for me :cool: I'm fine with the mods and if I have the money BWI
I have the same issues as per being heavily tattoe'd.Have to say it would probably be the guests rather than the staff who would look at you judgemental . Having just got back from 2 weeks at CS both myself and my wife never felt uncomfortable about having multiple visible tattoo's anywhere on property.Lots of cast members (and the characters) were very complimentery over them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom