Is the GF not popular?

jmargarone27

Call me crazy, but when I went in July, the girl that checked me in asked me if I had a specific building preference. I said Boca Chica, then she asked if I had a floor preference. She said we have all five. So I picked the 4th floor because I thought I might have a chance of getting a regular room instead of a dormer and I like being on high floors. To make it even stranger, when I got my bill, it said I had already been assigned a room when we checked in (7210) and then my dining plan was activated on the new room (8406.) Strange... what do you think?

bullsforthewin

This is just based on my own experience booking rooms for clients, but I can almost always get rooms at the Grand Floridian for people, even on short notice. I've also noticed that when annual pass discounts aren't available at any of the other monorail resorts, I can get them at the GF.

A lot of people think it's sort of a snooty resort but I've never felt that way. It's easily my second favorite and I always feel comfortable there. I think possibly some men find it a bit feminine as well or moms feel thier young sons won't like how "girly" it is (I hear this one a lot). It's really not all that girly, certainly no more than Boardwalk, but it's hard to convince people otherwise until they stay there.

Unrelated, but Yacht Club is the same way. You can always get discounts there. It's probably the least popular deluxe resort on property.

Maybe to book it is the least popular but i can tell you that guests find the WL to be the worst of the deluxes...Yacht Club is very popular partially because of the pool

Upvote 0

jmargarone27

Original Poster
Maybe to book it is the least popular but i can tell you that guests find the WL to be the worst of the deluxes...Yacht Club is very popular partially because of the pool

Half of me agrees with you, and half doesn't. I feel that all three of the Epcot deluxe resorts are not popular individually, but all together, they have a TON of guests! The bus service SUCKS to those resorts (5 resorts on one line?!?!) Usually when I hear people staying at deluxe resorts it's the Polynesian or Wilderness Lodge, two that I am not great fans of.

Upvote 0

mickey2008.1

We have stayed at both Poly and GF, with GF being the winner. Poly has bigger rooms and that tropical feeling, but not Disney Themed. Where as the GF is well themed Victorian style and Disney themed. It's a lot cleaner, service way better, hot tub, better pools, better food, all around a much better experience. We thought it would be snobbish as well, but it is far from that. Turn down service, robes, you name it, it was there. I know it's just a place to sleep many will say, but for us. it's also a place to chill for a day, or go back to early and enjoy the amenities. Don't count it out!

Upvote 0

pmaljr

It's a great place to stay. We were lucky enough to stay there a couple of years ago. HOWEVER, if you are staying at WDW and don't plan to spend much time at the hotel, it is a waste of money. There are many perks of staying at GF but only if you are actually there to use them. If it's all about the parks but you still want a monorail resort, stay at the cheapest place.

Upvote 0

Scuttle

One way to make GF more popular is to finish a walkway to the MK. Imagine how popular that would make it.

My thought is that TDO may want to consider this after finishing DVC at GF so they can relieve some of the Poly demand while they plan/build DVC at Poly.

Resistance (to DVC) is futile.

That's my thought as well. The monorail line is going to get even more packed when the DVC opens. I'm betting they will be forced to build a draw bridge over the canal to alleviate the resort line. Hell I would even take the walk all the way to the Poly.

Upvote 0

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
That's my thought as well. The monorail line is going to get even more packed when the DVC opens. I'm betting they will be forced to build a draw bridge over the canal to alleviate the resort line. Hell I would even take the walk all the way to the Poly.

That's going to end up being the solution, I think. They can't build a regular bridge because of the water pageant floats, so a drawbridge would seem to be the answer. They'll definitely need to do something- we know the monorails are over-worked already, so this would seem to be an effective solution to the problem. And I also would totally use it to walk all the way to the Poly.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom