Is the CM juggling phones always in the JIIWF line?

DisneyHead123

Original Poster
Completely random question, but my son was extremely taken with him. He gets out phones at home and plays pretend that he’s the “purple dragon phone man”. Is there always a cast member there doing the phone shtick, or only certain times? If we go back I know he’ll want to see him (or her) again.

Cmdr_Crimson

Completely random question, but my son was extremely taken with him. He gets out phones at home and plays pretend that he’s the “purple dragon phone man”. Is there always a cast member there doing the phone shtick, or only certain times? If we go back I know he’ll want to see him (or her) again.
Juggling phones? Can you elaborate more about this? I've never heard of any CM doing this in the Imagination Institute que line...
That sounds pretty cool. What park does this happen in?
It's Epcot and they are referring to Journey Into Imagination with Figment

DisneyHead123

Original Poster
Juggling phones? Can you elaborate more about this? I've never heard of any CM doing this in the Imagination Institute que line...

It's Epcot and they are referring to Journey Into Imagination with Figment
Metaphorically “juggling”, sorry if that was unclear. Like pretending to answer five or six phones at once in a slapstick way, involving the people in line sometimes (he would pretend to be ordering food and ask people in line what to order, that type of thing.)

WorldExplorer

I was going to ask how long he was there, then realized Figment's line always moves quickly and is short so you probably don't know.

No, that's not normal. Sounds like you happened upon a creative attractions CM. That sounds hilarious!

(It's possible they've just started hiring someone specifically to do this, but that would be a very odd place put entertainment.)

DisneyHead123

Original Poster
I was going to ask how long he was there, then realized Figment's line always moves quickly and is short so you probably don't know.

No, that's not normal. Sounds like you happened upon a creative attractions CM. That sounds hilarious!

(It's possible they've just started hiring someone specifically to do this, but that would be a very odd place put entertainment.)
Oh darn! I kinda assumed it was part of the ride queue, but maybe only when the line is a certain length. What a bummer. Thanks for the info though!

JIMINYCR

Sometimes you will come upon a CM that loves their job and wants to do more in the way they interact with guests. You ran across one who gave you more than what was expected of him and what his role requires. It wasnt unusual to see this happening years ago across the parks. Now some CM's dont feel comfortable doing anything that risks them getting their supervisors attention and getting called out for doing something, anything thats not required. Stifle their ability to plus the Magic and be creative.

DisneyHead123

Original Poster
Sometimes you will come upon a CM that loves their job and wants to do more in the way they interact with guests. You ran across one who gave you more than what was expected of him and what his role requires. It wasnt unusual to see this happening years ago across the parks. Now some CM's dont feel comfortable doing anything that risks them getting their supervisors attention and getting called out for doing something, anything thats not required. Stifle their ability to plus the Magic and be creative.
That’s too bad. Everyone had a great time, I’m sure it did a lot for the guest experience of people in the line!

JoeCamel

Any extra interaction with guests adds to everyones experience. They should encourage more playful cast encounters as they once did in DHS with the street performers.
In the 2010's there was a CM that sang outside CHH in the MK. Michael sang with such feeling and had an incredible voice, I wondered if he was entertainment or ad hoc, don't know but a wonderful experience to hear him.

monorail81

In the 2010's there was a CM that sang outside CHH in the MK. Michael sang with such feeling and had an incredible voice, I wondered if he was entertainment or ad hoc, don't know but a wonderful experience to hear him.
Back in the late 90s/early 00s, there was a group of Monorail CMs who used to sing on the Express side during the park exits to aid in filling in the gates. 😬

Twirlnhurl

Back in 2011, during the middle of the day when the opening and closing shifts overlapped, Imagination cast members would sometimes get "make magic" tasks when all the ride positions were full.

If a CM wanted to do something like that for their task, they were encouraged to do so.

It wouldn't surprise me if something similar still goes on.

DisneyHead123

Original Poster
Back in 2011, during the middle of the day when the opening and closing shifts overlapped, Imagination cast members would sometimes get "make magic" tasks when all the ride positions were full.

If a CM wanted to do something like that for their task, they were encouraged to do so.

It wouldn't surprise me if something similar still goes on.
Hopefully, that would be awesome!

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Then there is me when I was a merch coordinator who purposefully deleted "magical moments" from the rotation because I felt they were a waste of time, money, and resources. 😬

Twirlnhurl

Then there is me when I was a merch coordinator who purposefully deleted "magical moments" from the rotation because I felt they were a waste of time, money, and resources. 😬
I didn't like doing them myself, as I felt that sweeping up the queue was usually a better use of the time. But I didn't typically care for that kind of guest interaction (as a CM or guest). I prefer to let the ride and scenery and such speak for itself... Audience interaction makes me uncomfortable.

The people who like it really like it, and the people who are good at it are providing value, so I am not against the enterprise in general. But it isn't for me.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I didn't like doing them myself, as I felt that sweeping up the queue was usually a better use of the time. But I didn't typically care for that kind of guest interaction (as a CM or guest). I prefer to let the ride and scenery and such speak for itself... Audience interaction makes me uncomfortable.

The people who like it really like it, and the people who are good at it are providing value, so I am not against the enterprise in general. But it isn't for me.
It just felt a little unnecessary in a retail space. Like I know Disney is like “everything is a show and we’re playing the role” but nah. People going into merch locations are after specific items and want to get in and out, not be entertained lol.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Are you sure he's not just copying the audio track behind one of the doors in the queue line where there's a lady going "Imagination Institute... Please hold!" over and over again?

Not a physical person. There is actually an audio effect at one of the doors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom