Is Spaceship Earth becoming more popular?

Polydweller

When I first went to Epcot the year it opened SE was packed but my Dad told me to walk past it and come back in the middle to late afternoon and we would walk on. And that's what happened. Every trip since then it's been exactly the same. Really packed with long lines through the morning and virtual walk on by mid-afternoon. It may be a bit more popular but it's mostly that people do it first cause it's the first thing they encounter.

willtravel

I don't mind the wait. It's the first thing that we go on. I am excited to be there. I think the line moved along steadily. When I was there mid May the weather was beautiful. And when standing in the queue there was a nice breeze. Also gives ya a little time to people watch.

JerseyDad

...I'm pretty sure that it's because it's a ride which is part of the FP+ list. We were shut out of going on SSE for the 1st half of out stay in late August because of a "refurb" on SSE. Then ...when it opened on 8/28 ...the extent of the 'refurb' was the addition of the FP+ line entrance and wait time thing.

....there is NO WAY this should be a FP ride ...but WDW needed another attraction to add to the list of rides they could offer ...and BAM ...there it is.

luv

...I'm pretty sure that it's because it's a ride which is part of the FP+ list. We were shut out of going on SSE for the 1st half of out stay in late August because of a "refurb" on SSE. Then ...when it opened on 8/28 ...the extent of the 'refurb' was the addition of the FP+ line entrance and wait time thing.

....there is NO WAY this should be a FP ride ...but WDW needed another attraction to add to the list of rides they could offer ...and BAM ...there it is.
So is Figment, lol. When I saw FP for Figment, I knew that Disney has no shame at all.

ExtinctJenn

Maybe... but there have been long wait times for years at this attraction first thing in the morning, before FP+ was brought into things. Our trip in 2011 we waited about 40 minutes and it was right after park opening. As lots of folks have mentioned, that's fairly typical for SSE as it's the first attraction you come to and don't have to walk far to get to.

JerseyDad

Maybe... but there have been long wait times for years at this attraction first thing in the morning, before FP+ was brought into things. Our trip in 2011 we waited about 40 minutes and it was right after park opening. As lots of folks have mentioned, that's fairly typical for SSE as it's the first attraction you come to and don't have to walk far to get to.

.....well ....it IS the first attraction that you hit once in the park ...unless you count the restrooms.

.....as mentioned ...I have seen the lines long and short on SSE ...because of the "waves" of crowds. First thing in the morning it can be heavy ....mid morning when it catches the late-risers ....noon, for those that hit Epcot for lunch in the World Showcase ....the mid-afternoon 2nd park people who are hopping .....an then the evening / dinner crowd. All those times I've noticed a larger influx of people to SSE. Of course it doesn't hold absolutely true if it's a holiday.

....I think the SSE lines in the morning will be heavier now because of FP+ ....and not having to run to TT or Soarin to get the std fastpass ....so ...no need to bypass SSE ...and many more will go on it.

ExtinctJenn

....I think the SSE lines in the morning will be heavier now because of FP+ ....and not having to run to TT or Soarin to get the std fastpass ....so ...no need to bypass SSE ...and many more will go on it.
Now that is an excellent point. I don't so much think the addition of FP to SSE will increase it's wait times (at least not by much) being that it's a constant mover but I would agree that folks no longer sprinting to TT and Soarin' when the gates open may make it so more people get in line for it. Essentially, taking things back to the way they were before FP was added in general I suppose. :)

KCheatle

SSE seems to oddly attract waves...(due to its location possibly) one minute the entire que area is full (granted that's only a 10 minute wait or so) and you will walk past in an hour and theres not a soul.

This is exactly what happens on our trips. We'll walk past and the line is up at 30 minutes. We'll come back a while later and it's a walk-on. I don't think there's any other ride like that? Maybe IASW. Occasionally, it will get a long line, and then be back down to a walk on. But, I never wait in line for SSE because I know if you come back, you'll get right on it.

OberonMyaSammy

We always ride at night and it is always a walk on. I always find it funny in the morning watching all the people line up for Spaceship Earth as I am speed walking my way to the Land to get my Soarin' Fast Pass. :)

DfromATX

I don't know what's wrong with my family, but we only rode it for the first time on our last trip in June. Anyway, it was so much fun! We rode it three times and each time just walked on. I think we just enjoyed seeing our faces on the pictures at the end so with 4 kids, they got kind of crazy. Lots of laughter on that ride!

ExtinctJenn

I don't know what's wrong with my family, but we only rode it for the first time on our last trip in June. Anyway, it was so much fun! We rode it three times and each time just walked on. I think we just enjoyed seeing our faces on the pictures at the end so with 4 kids, they got kind of crazy. Lots of laughter on that ride!
It is a favorite of our family as well and we typically do it at least 3 or 4 times each trip. DS7 has referred to it as his favorite ride at Epcot since he could speak (and even before then you could see he loved it). :D

DManRightHere

I never find undercover tourist to be great for wait time accuracy. I still think spachip earth is popular, it just has a huge capacity. I know if it starts raining it can fill the que area well.

DfromATX

I never find undercover tourist to be great for wait time accuracy. I still think spachip earth is popular, it just has a huge capacity. I know if it starts raining it can fill the que area well.

I don't think any of the wait time apps must be very accurate. We used one called "WDW Waits" and found that it was always a good 10 - 15 minutes off, up or down. However, once we get home from our trips, we like to look at it and say goofy stuff like, "Pirates 15 minutes"... we are pretty dorky I know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom