Is POP too far???

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, tahoma, arial, helvetica]Hey everyone...

I have a question for those who are familiar with POP.. i was just looking over a resort map and also reading some bus transit info..
It looks SO far away from everything.. 25 min bus to Magic Kingdom... we have 3 very young children and that is probably where we will spend more time than any other park...I hate to waste so much time on a bus.. and it also seems like such a large resort that I wonder if we will get stuck in a far away room walking forever every day for a bus.

would it be wise to choose another value resort or upgrade to a moderate?? (Dh and I have stayed at AS sports and AS movies.. but was back in 98 and 99/00.. so I was hoping for something different)

Money is an issue.. we couldn't go higher than moderate and even that I would want to know that it's going to be MUCH more convienent for us to stay there to justify spending the extra $300 - $400 over a value resort.
Any moderate reccommendations for family convenience?? (size, bus times, etc)

Any guidance would be appreciated!!! :)
[/FONT]

GoofyFan1

The bus times are approximate. Pop Century is right next to the Caribbean Beach Resort, where we stay. You're in the Epcot/MGM area and it doesn't take long to get to Animal Kingdom, Magic Kingdom , or Downtown Disney.

Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

iheartdisney91

dont worry we stayed at pop 3 yrs in a row. it is far but the bus rides arent that bad. there were little tots on the bus and they didnt mind the ride there. and i dont think it took us 25 mins to get to MK. more like 15

Upvote 0

ssidiouss@mac.c

Pop Century is pure pwnage.. it has more of a disney feel than any of the moderates.. has its own bus and only 1 bus stop which the moderates dont have.. and it only takes like 10-15 minutes to get to any park. 25 minutes to magic kingdom you say? ridiculous.

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, tahoma, arial, helvetica]Hey everyone...

I have a question for those who are familiar with POP.. i was just looking over a resort map and also reading some bus transit info..
It looks SO far away from everything.. 25 min bus to Magic Kingdom... we have 3 very young children and that is probably where we will spend more time than any other park...I hate to waste so much time on a bus.. and it also seems like such a large resort that I wonder if we will get stuck in a far away room walking forever every day for a bus.

would it be wise to choose another value resort or upgrade to a moderate?? (Dh and I have stayed at AS sports and AS movies.. but was back in 98 and 99/00.. so I was hoping for something different)

Money is an issue.. we couldn't go higher than moderate and even that I would want to know that it's going to be MUCH more convienent for us to stay there to justify spending the extra $300 - $400 over a value resort.
Any moderate reccommendations for family convenience?? (size, bus times, etc)

Any guidance would be appreciated!!! :)
[/FONT]

The reasons you listed (not to mention room size) are why we try to avoid the value resorts, but as you can see from my sig we'll be staying in one in June since it was a last minute low budget trip. I absolutely HATE dealing with the buses. It's tedious to walk all the way from your room to the bus stop and get on and off the buses and do all that waiting around, especially with kids. This is why we ALWAYS drive rather than fly. Can you rent a car? I know if we were ever stuck flying we'd definitely rent a car to avoid the bus hassle.

Upvote 0

wdwforus

We stayed at Pop in Dec of 05 and loved it. We had 3 kids, one in a stroller and the bus ride was no big deal. The only suggestion is to get out there early for the bus. I would rather be waiting out front of a park for it to open, which gives you time for photos and exploring, then waiting for the next bus knowing that the park is already open and I am still waiting. Request a specific building and you wont be that far from the food court and stop. We asked for the 70s B building and it worked out great.

Upvote 0

Missymoe4

At MK though we always park at the Contemp., or the Grand. Just say you are eating at one of the restaraunts. Sure they'll give you a timed parking pass, but they never check. Just take the parking pass out of the window once you,ve found a spot. Hit the monorail and you're there a lot closer to the entrance than the bus stops are. I know this dishonesty will probably offend people, but you know what, who is it Hurting? NO ONE
Have a great time!

Why do people do this? I do not drive to other resorts and take up their parking spaces. Yes, people who stay in one of the Contemporary wings DO park in those spots. Besides, we at the Contemporary PAY for this proximity and those of you who do not pay, should not take advantage of us who do.

I'm sorry to sound so mean, but people who are staying at the Contemporary suffer from those who think they have a right to LIE and take our spaces...then we don't have a paking space...or, we have to walk from the way back of the lot with our baggage due to people not staying in the resort taking up our spots that we are entitled to.

If you want to be close to the MK...PAY for a deluxe hotel and for the proximity.

Upvote 0

Cinderella1976

Why do people do this? I do not drive to other resorts and take up their parking spaces. Yes, people who stay in one of the Contemporary wings DO park in those spots. Besides, we at the Contemporary PAY for this proximity and those of you who do not pay, should not take advantage of us who do.

I'm sorry to sound so mean, but people who are staying at the Contemporary suffer from those who think they have a right to LIE and take our spaces...then we don't have a paking space...or, we have to walk from the way back of the lot with our baggage due to people not staying in the resort taking up our spots that we are entitled to.

If you want to be close to the MK...PAY for a deluxe hotel and for the proximity.

Well said Missymoe4. Coming from someone who pays the extra $$ for location, I can't agree more.

Upvote 0

Philo

I agree too. What if lots of people did this and the actual resort guests couldn't park? If you want to park closer to a park then you should either pay the extra for the location. It might be alot extra but location is a big factor in determining prices. Even if you are miles away (in AKL and wanted to get to MK for example) then the bus ride really isn't that bad.

I actually think its a little crazy that people drive from a resort to the parks though. I've only ever been in very quiet times so I've probably never witnessed just how bad the busses can get but considering that you queue all day at the park another short queue shouldn't matter. I can see why a family would prefer to drive (especially if the kids are younger or if there are alot of you).

For me though, the reason I would always get the bus rather than drive round the parks is because I would find driving though the crowds more stressful than waiting for the bus (not sure I would ever get used to driving ont he other side of the road!). Not to mention that I wouldn't be able to have a drink with dinner or at PI if I were driving and I would have to make sure I'm not totally exhausted.

Upvote 0

eroyee

:wave: Like everyone said. stay at POP. we have stayed there twice now and are staying again in Dec. We absolutely love it. No bldg. is that far from the food or the busses. you can cut across parking lots to get to the bus stops. If you are concerned about it, pay for a preferred room. that will guarantee closeness to the food and pool. dont spent the money for a mod. we have taken busses from most of the mods. and they are way worse than POP cause of multiple stops. POP has its own bus service for POP only. have a magical trip!

Upvote 0

ciscobee

Pop is close. My advice though ... don't waste your time with the buses. The bus system is good at Disney ... but it's still public transporation and there are limits to what times it is available ... and it's not prompt.

My advice is to rent a car. Even if you just drive it around the parks it's worth it. Plus, you are not confined to the parks for supplies. Just off of World Center Drive is a CVS ... you can stop there, buy a 24 pack of bottled water for 5.99$. Same for snack stuff, sunscreen, halls, etc. If you have kids ... they even have bread ... peanut butter ... and jelly.

With a car, you can go everywhere on property on your time, and you do not have to pay to park as long as you are staying at a resort. Plus ... you can sample the other resorts without having to hub through the Transportation and Ticket Center. For instance, you could wake up, get ready, and go to the food court at Coronado Springs for breakfast instead of the food court at Pop.

Rental cars can be had for cheap. Just look around and find the good deals online. My vote is for National, because you can stack coupons, and generally end up with a great deal and a good vehicle. Also ... they are located AT Orlando International Airport. That has huge benefits, because you basically pickup your bags, walk across a narrow street into the parking structure and walk out and pick the car you want off of the Emerald Aisle.

Pop in my opinion is the best Value Resort because it is centrally located. You are literally one intersection away from MGM. And everything else is well within reach. The only park that is not close to Pop is Animal Kingdom.

Pop does have it's drawbacks though. One thing to watch out for is the parking. There is no good place to park. Even if the resort were empty and you were the only one staying there ... you will have to park a good football field away from the room. The other thing is the food court. It's buzzing. ALWAYS. So if you think getting there an hour earlier will help ... it won't. It's always crazy and you are elbow to elbow at the drink stations. But don't let that detract you because all Value resorts have that same problem. Comes with the cheaper price tag. My vote is always to stay at the value and use the amenities from the other resorts because A.) YOU CAN and B.) The moderates and deluxes have really nice food court areas.

whew ... done typing for awhile.

Upvote 0

wdwforus

In response to the post above me, I didnt want to quote, in my experience rental cars can be a waste, especially now with Magic Express. We rented a car last time, for about $250 for a week, and only used it 4 times, once to pick it up, once to Sea World, once to Universal, and when we returned it. Disney knows how to move people. I have had some complaints in the past about the buses, but they were not huge issues. If a person plans ahead they should not be stuck waiting. So you might have to wait to leave, sometimes this can be frustrating when the the kids are beat and lose their patience and ask a million times when the bus is coming but I have never waited more than 15 minutes for a bus. I have no desire to try and find my way back to my resort from MK at 10 at night when we are all wasted and I am on strange roads and in a strange vehicle. Get on the bus, sit down and relax, you'll be home before you know it. I have got great memories of carrying my kids off the bus completely exhausted and happy.

Upvote 0

flynnibus

Premium Member
When you can get a rental car for as low as $20 a day.. its hard to turn down the freedom.

Going to the bars that night? Don't take the car. Pretty simple. You have the choice.

Upvote 0

dxwwf3

I think Pop has the best bus service that I've experienced. The bus station is large and they run very effeciently. I also think that the location of the actual resort is fantastic when it comes to distance to and from the parks. These are just a few of the reasons why it is my favorite resort on property.

Upvote 0

DSNYKID

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, tahoma, arial, helvetica]Hey everyone... [/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, tahoma, arial, helvetica]I have a question for those who are familiar with POP.. i was just looking over a resort map and also reading some bus transit info..[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, tahoma, arial, helvetica]It looks SO far away from everything.. 25 min bus to Magic Kingdom... we have 3 very young children and that is probably where we will spend more time than any other park...I hate to waste so much time on a bus.. and it also seems like such a large resort that I wonder if we will get stuck in a far away room walking forever every day for a bus.[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, tahoma, arial, helvetica]would it be wise to choose another value resort or upgrade to a moderate?? (Dh and I have stayed at AS sports and AS movies.. but was back in 98 and 99/00.. so I was hoping for something different)[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, tahoma, arial, helvetica]Money is an issue.. we couldn't go higher than moderate and even that I would want to know that it's going to be MUCH more convienent for us to stay there to justify spending the extra $300 - $400 over a value resort.[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, tahoma, arial, helvetica]Any moderate reccommendations for family convenience?? (size, bus times, etc)[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, tahoma, arial, helvetica]Any guidance would be appreciated!!! :)[/FONT]

I'm gonna recommend that you rent some points from a Disney Vacation Club member, get an upgraded resort, closer to the action for the same price as a Value Resort. Last November, we stayed at Disney Old Key West. To get the benefit of great pricing, you need to stay Sunday through Thursday. Anyway, we paid $490.00 total for 5 nights. That is actually less that it would be to stay at a Value. If you book straight through Disney, its about $290.00 per night. Let me know if you want more info.

Upvote 0

wdwforus

At $82 per night that is about $50 less than the renting the points option. We stayed at Carribean Beach in 01 and thought the bus service at Pop was better. As much as you will actually use the room the extra money isnt worth it, spend it on a character meal.

Upvote 0

3girlswdwdreams

Original Poster
WOW guys... I can't say thank you enough!! I am thrilled to hear of so many people liking POP and that we will be okay with the buses.

I have thought about renting a car.. but we have 3 little ones, so it would mean renting a van or SUV that would fit 3 car seats.. so don't think it will be that cheap to do... and to be honest I think the girls are going to love riding the bus and I could totally see them complaining... why are we in a car.. what couldn't WE ride the bus like everyone else?? ROFL

DSNYKID thanks for the info... we cann't stay Sun - Thur this time.. but I am definitely going to look into it next trip, probably 2009.

thanks again all! We're sticking with Pop.

Speaking of car seats...I just thought of this...
i can't remember the buses since I didn't have kids last time I was there... .. are there any seatbelts, or seats or anything for little children on the buses or is it just nothing?? Does everyone feel safe with their kids on the buses? I would imagine so since so many do it every day. LOL

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom