Is Pleasure Island still safe?

Feta

Original Poster
Well, I just came back from a quick weekend trip to WDW. Had a great time - especially loved Soarin' and Lucky the Dinosaur. However, had some worrisome observations from Pleasure Island. I'm a longtime fan and have been going 3-4 times a year for the last 5-6 years. I was there on Friday night and the first thing I saw was increased security - and I'm not just talking friendly Disney police. Across from the smaller stage with the video screens there was a gathering of police (about 8-10 BIG men) dressed in all black - several had white lettering labelled "Gang Unit". They were definitely county police - not Disney. Later in the night, I was enjoying a gyro (a PI tradition) when a scuffle broke out in the same area. I looked up and saw someone on the ground, another guy kicking him, and many others pushing a shoving. Security moved in quickly and they soon disappeared. Finally, on the bus back to the Boardwalk, we shared the bus with 2 guys probably in their early 20's. The guy next to me had blood dripping from his knuckles. They spent the whole ride rehashing the fight they had just been in.

What's going on????
Is this an effect of their new policy allowing people to come and go to the streets outside the clubs without paying?

markc

It's definitely one of the side effects of letting everybody walk in, and one that Disney did not think of obviously. In all fairness though, there have always been problems in PI (even when admission was required to even walk the streets of PI)..however the problems have been escalating from what I've seen and they are becoming far too common.

Neptune

Yikes, thats scary. I hope it is Safe, for When i go there. Gang Unit? Jeez, maybe i should just stick to Disneyquest!

joshwill

markc said:
It's definitely one of the side effects of letting everybody walk in, and one that Disney did not think of obviously. In all fairness though, there have always been problems in PI (even when admission was required to even walk the streets of PI)..however the problems have been escalating from what I've seen and they are becoming far too common.

they need to go back to the old system

tinkish

I'm glad security was there to break things up...and I wonder if Friday nights...and the rest of the weekends are becoming problem nights, where they need to increase security. I wonder if you would have seen the same events occur during the week?

Neptune

When with my girlfriend, i saw two guys fighting near Fultons Crab house. The cops broke it up. Im, sure theres nothing to be scared of though.

speck76

As with almost anywhere in the world, if you look for trouble, you will find it.

If you are not the type to look to get in to trouble, you should not have a problem.

The people who cause trouble in places like Pleasure Island, cause trouble with others that are also looking for trouble.

Feta

Original Poster
speck76 said:
As with almost anywhere in the world, if you look for trouble, you will find it.

If you are not the type to look to get in to trouble, you should not have a problem.

The people who cause trouble in places like Pleasure Island, cause trouble with others that are also looking for trouble.

That's a very good point. However, my fear is that if more of these people continue to go to Pleasure Island - it will run off more of the people who are there to just have a good time. I sure don't want to hang out with a bunch of thugs. If people don't FEEL safe, even though they are, they won't show up.

speck76

Feta said:
That's a very good point. However, my fear is that if more of these people continue to go to Pleasure Island - it will run off more of the people who are there to just have a good time. I sure don't want to hang out with a bunch of thugs. If people don't FEEL safe, even though they are, they won't show up.

It is truely as safe as it ever has been.....

It is clubs, bars, beer..........it is always going to attract some idiots.

SteveUK

It's a sad fact of life that bars and alcohol will always attract these people. Although it isn't always as simple as that, there are many decent people who just can't handle their drink and get stupid when they drink.

I'm sure that anywhere in the world if you go to pubs and bars there wll be some elements of trouble. I would guess that WDW is probably still among the safest at they will be much more strict on security than many bars who have no interest in what happens on the streets outside their doors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom