Is Marceline, Missouri worthwhile to visit?

ppete1975

The driving tour hits most of these spots, remember missouri and kc are where the pre california Walt lived.
Birth of Walt Disney
Dec 1901
Birth of Walt Disney
December 5th 1901
Sights Set for Missouri
Apr 1906
Sights Set for Missouri
Disney Family Moves to Marceline, MO
Disney in Kansas City
Jun 1911
Disney in Kansas City
The Disney family moves to Kansas City from Marceline, MO
Extra! Extra!
Jun 1911
Extra! Extra!
Walt and Roy deliver Kansas City Star & Times newspapers
School Begins for Walt
Sept 1911
School Begins for Walt
Walt attends Benton Elementary
Kansas City Art Institue (KCAI)
Jun 1916
Kansas City Art Institue (KCAI)
Walt attends Saturday morning classes at Kansas City Art Institute (KCAI).
Back to the “Windy City”
Jun 1917
Back to the “Windy City”
Disney Family moves back to Chicago.
Walt Attends McKinley High
Aug 1917
Walt Attends McKinley High
This was his first and only year of high school.
American Ambulance Corps (Red Cross)
May 1918
American Ambulance Corps (Red Cross)
Walt served 9 months in France as an ambulance driver.
Return to Kansas City
Sep 1919
Return to Kansas City
Walt and Roy return to Kansas City after a short trip to Chicago to visit their family after the war.
Laugh-O-Gram Films, Inc.
May 1922
Laugh-O-Gram Films, Inc.
Walt incorporates the Laugh-O-gram Film Studio
Contract Signed!
Sept 1922
Contract Signed!
Laugh-O-gram signs contract with Pictorial Clubs, Inc. to produce six cartoons
That’s a Wrap!
Dec 1922
That’s a Wrap!
Walt’s studio produces the last of six Laugh-O-gram fairy tale cartoons
Walt Pitches Alice Comedies
May 1923
Walt Pitches Alice Comedies
Walt first pitches his innovative Alice Comedies series to Margaret J. Winkler of New York
With Laugh-O-Gram in bankruptcy Walt leaves for California
Aug 1923
With Laugh-O-Gram in bankruptcy Walt leaves for California

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Given that Silver Dollar City is one of the best theme parks in the country, yes.

Agreed, Silver Dollar City is AMAZING. Certainly worth going WELL out of your way to hit up that park. Herschend runs SDC very much like they run Dollywood (including similarities in what they add to each park), though the offerings themselves are uniquely different from Dollywood. If you like Dollywood, a trip to SDC should be in your plans.

For other things in the area, if you are of the Christian persuasion, Sight & Sound Theaters in Branson is pretty amazing. They do musical interpretations of Biblical stories. They have a pretty neat theater with a "U" shaped stage to give you a 180 degree "surround stage" experience. I've seen a bunch of Broadway shows and the caliber of Sight & Sounds production designs easily rival anything I've seen on Broadway (just crazy amazing sets and costumes). They also incorporate a ton of live animals into the show which is pretty neat. The only thing I wish they did was have live orchestration, but I'm sure that woudl significantly increase the price of a ticket.

gitchard

Little known fact, Main Street isn't modeled around Marceline but Fort Collins, CO.

Harper Goff who designed Main Street had lived in Fort Collins and used that for his inspiration. In the 50's he went back to photograph Fort Collins to use as the models for the buildings.

You can read about it here and see pictures.

It was Walt's idea for Main Street from his memories of Marceline but Goff used Fort Collins for his design.

cgersic

Little known fact, Main Street isn't modeled around Marceline but Fort Collins, CO.

Harper Goff who designed Main Street had lived in Fort Collins and used that for his inspiration. In the 50's he went back to photograph Fort Collins to use as the models for the buildings.

You can read about it here and see pictures.

It was Walt's idea for Main Street from his memories of Marceline but Goff used Fort Collins for his design.
That's my hometown!! I am 56 years young, a Disney history lover, and you just taught me something new about my birth place. Thank you!

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
We only live an hour and forty minutes from Marceline. We go once every couple of years. Thoroughly enjoy our visit and picking up souvenirs each trip. I’ve given Cast Members, that we see consistently on trips, pins from Marceline when we go to WDW. They aren’t Disney so we don’t try to trade them. It’s just a unique bit of appreciation along with a nice tip.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
That said, dare I say I actually prefer Silver Dollar City to Dollywood? There are lots of little touches that don't (or no longer) exist at Dollywood, and of course they have the cave tour as well. Dolly Parton undoubtedly saved the TN park and brought with it a fair amount of attendance and publicity, but there's something of an identity struggle at the TN park because of it IMO. SDC is successful in its own right, but more modestly so due to a combination of location and not having a prominent national backer. Though there are better parks strictly for coasters, I'd say it's the best proper theme park in the Midwest. The rest of Branson doesn't really do much for me, but I always try to make it out to SDC a few times a year.

I can only say I've been to Dollywood. I have looked at the map of Silver Dollar City, and it looks every bit as good as Dollywood. I'll have to compare it myself very soon. But as far as I am concerned Dollywood is the best theme park I have been to outside of anything Disney or Universal. Even Busch Gardens or Sea World by a pinch. It had everything, really. So if Silver Dollar City is like it, then I'll be impressed. Branson, to me at least, seems to have a lot of similar attractions as Pigeon Forge. I found Pigeon Forget to just be an awesome place to not only drive through but to experience. Gatlinburg is only 4-5 miles away as well. I take it Branson may not be as grand or long as Pigeon Forge, but from what I see they share some similar attractions. Branson looks to be quite the tourist trap as well, is it not?

I had to Google that. I've never heard of it.

You're kidding, no?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Agreed, Silver Dollar City is AMAZING. Certainly worth going WELL out of your way to hit up that park. Herschend runs SDC very much like they run Dollywood (including similarities in what they add to each park), though the offerings themselves are uniquely different from Dollywood. If you like Dollywood, a trip to SDC should be in your plans.

For other things in the area, if you are of the Christian persuasion, Sight & Sound Theaters in Branson is pretty amazing. They do musical interpretations of Biblical stories. They have a pretty neat theater with a "U" shaped stage to give you a 180 degree "surround stage" experience. I've seen a bunch of Broadway shows and the caliber of Sight & Sounds production designs easily rival anything I've seen on Broadway (just crazy amazing sets and costumes). They also incorporate a ton of live animals into the show which is pretty neat. The only thing I wish they did was have live orchestration, but I'm sure that woudl significantly increase the price of a ticket.

Very interested in all you have mentioned and have noticed a lot of that is in Branson.

As for Dollywood vs. Silver Dollar City, from my experiences in Dollywood I found that you could do a day of just shows and still have a good time. And then a day of rides. We did every ride the day we went because it was on a weekday just before Labor Day when the kids were back in school. So the crowds were very minimal. Just taking a guess from looking at the map, but I find SDC and Dollywood are a bit like Disneyland and Magic Kingdom in the way that if you love one you really ought to experience the other because while there are similarities there are enough differences to see that the other is unique. Is that correct?

PiratesMansion

I can only say I've been to Dollywood. I have looked at the map of Silver Dollar City, and it looks every bit as good as Dollywood. I'll have to compare it myself very soon. But as far as I am concerned Dollywood is the best theme park I have been to outside of anything Disney or Universal. Even Busch Gardens or Sea World by a pinch. It had everything, really. So if Silver Dollar City is like it, then I'll be impressed. Branson, to me at least, seems to have a lot of similar attractions as Pigeon Forge. I found Pigeon Forget to just be an awesome place to not only drive through but to experience. Gatlinburg is only 4-5 miles away as well. I take it Branson may not be as grand or long as Pigeon Forge, but from what I see they share some similar attractions. Branson looks to be quite the tourist trap as well, is it not?
Branson and Pigeon Forge are indeed very similar to each other. I think Branson has a bit of a nicer feel to it, but it's also more modest.

The SDC is Disneyland and Dollywood is WDW is apt. I haven't been to Dollywood since 2014 (!), but by that point I had been to SDC several times and I could easily see some similarities ("Oh, this is their Opera House!" and so on). Similar but different atmospheres.

Here's some advice I gave in another thread regarding SDC:
-I recommend arriving around 1 hour before official opening time. This will give you time to park, wait for the tram, take the tram to the entrance, and get in before the crowd. Silver Dollar City's entrance is quaint but tiny and doesn't handle crowds well (the entrance path is wedged tightly between the natural entrance to Marvel Cave and the cable car that returns you to the surface). You can then walk around the square, eat breakfast or stop at the bakery, and often times watch a pre-opening show at the Gazebo before the official grand opening ceremony.
-During non-Pumpkin/Christmas times, going on Saturday can sometimes be beneficial if you care about the coasters, as they are more likely to be running all available trains on Saturdays. Usually the rides that need multiple trains (Powder Keg, Time Traveler) will be running them on other days, but this can be hit or miss. Time Traveler and Powder Keg are consistently popular and busy, but the others can be walk-ons if you time it right.
-Best strategy from sheer "get on them before the lines build" is to start with Time Traveler, then hit Powder Keg. That said, everyone has the same idea to hit Time Traveler first, so an alternative would be to do Powder Keg/FITH/Wildfire/Outlaw Run first and come back to Time Traveler.
-Navigating the park can be tricky for first-timers, particularly the meandering older sections that move to and fro much like the streets of an old town that wasn't masterplanned would. That said, most everything of value is built in an exterior loop or just off of it, so the park is mostly a circle even if it doesn't look or feel like it at first glance. Another key tip is that if you're going downhill, you're going further into the park; uphill, towards the exit. The park's lowest point is near the entrance to Mystic River Falls.
-Elevation changes and hills are constant throughout the park, but there's one particular hill if you head down to the left from the entrance (they even call it "Hill Street") that's especially brutal. This particular hill is best avoided unless you absolutely must traverse it-there are almost always alternatives.
-Entertainment changes constantly, and even the established acts will change their repertoire at each performance. There's nearly always a visiting group or two.
-Of the resident entertainers, the Homestead Pickers are my favorite. If they're doing a show at the gazebo (typically pre-park opening), that may be the best place to see them, as they're older gentlemen with quiet voices, and the gazebo is the only place where they have microphones. The sign on the McHaffie's Homestead (visible from the Town Square) will tell you where they'll be performing, if it's absent from the map as it sometimes is.
-The steam train leaves on the hour and half-hour.
-Flooded Mine typically has short waits, but it's right next to the train station, so it sees influxes of crowds every 30 minutes or so from all of the people who couldn't make it on the train and/or people who have just exited the train.
-Grandfather's Mansion is a walkthrough funhouse that's easy to miss. At the main entrance square, take the path between the general store and the ice cream parlor, and the entrance is on the left just before you go down the stairs.
-All the crafters and demonstrations are great, but the glassblowers are my personal favorite. And unlike some parks, where they only make little trinket sort of things, they make full size glassware.
-Definitely do the cave tour! The cave tour is inside the Hospitality House, which you must walk through to reach the park proper. As you walk through the HH, you'll notice a tiny sign on the Cave Information Desk with all of the tour times. I recommend taking a picture of this so that you know when the tours will be-they used to be every 30 minutes, but over the past two years as the park has been having staffing shortages, the tours are more infrequent than they used to be. This will help you better plan for them. Arrive eary-they can take a little more than 30 on each tour.
-The park also offers an upcharge Lantern Tour, which takes you into some rooms you don't see on the regular tour and in darkness, but the free regular tour hits all the highlights.
-I wouldn't say there's any restaurants to avoid except the handful of burger and hot dog places. If you're looking at menus and see something appealing, get it at lunch when you can be sure the restaurant will be open. The app also lists menus for all permanent restaurants if you want to peruse what they sell before you arrive or in line.
-Sweet tooth recommendations: the Cinnamon Bread is different from Dollywood's, and it's sold at the Cinnamon Bread building near Mystic River Falls; Apple Dumplings with cinnamon ice cream (probably not offered during the summer, but if you see it, get it), Peanut Butter Fudge (or others) from Brown's Candy; the molasses cookies at the bakery are just like the ones my grandmother used to make; endless taffy varieties at the taffy factory.

Last edited:

celluloid

Very interested in all you have mentioned and have noticed a lot of that is in Branson.

As for Dollywood vs. Silver Dollar City, from my experiences in Dollywood I found that you could do a day of just shows and still have a good time. And then a day of rides. We did every ride the day we went because it was on a weekday just before Labor Day when the kids were back in school. So the crowds were very minimal. Just taking a guess from looking at the map, but I find SDC and Dollywood are a bit like Disneyland and Magic Kingdom in the way that if you love one you really ought to experience the other because while there are similarities there are enough differences to see that the other is unique. Is that correct?

I actually think I like the rides at Silver Dollar City better.

Dollywood is of course great but the atmosphere of Silver Dollar City, while has a shorter train ride, is very different as it is a park founded on a giant cave tour included in your admission, and has coasters in some pretty awesome terrain.

You will find similarities in operations and quality, and some branding but they are pretty independent , moreso anyway than goin from one Disney Magic Kingdom Castle Park to another Castle Park.

The coaster line up is pretty different if you like coasters, and be sure to see the saloon show, which is the closest thing to a Golden/Diamond Horseshoe type show left.

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

I don't see any point in going to some old nothing town. Especially in the state of Missouri that has the city with the highest murder rate.
It may not be number one anymore. But at any rate, St. Louis is irrelevant to Marceline. They are hours away from each other.

Marceline may not be a big destination, but if you care about Walt Disney, it's worth the stop. If you don't, it's not. It's that simple.

Anyway, where did Missouri hurt some of you? There's plenty about the state I'm not crazy about, but it's not this hellhole of nothing some of you seem weirdly invested in making it out to be.

Lilofan

You're kidding, no?
Silver Dollar City and I thought it was a one traffic light town.

Lilofan

It may not be number one anymore. But at any rate, St. Louis is irrelevant to Marceline. They are hours away from each other.

Marceline may not be a big destination, but if you care about Walt Disney, it's worth the stop. If you don't, it's not. It's that simple.

Anyway, where did Missouri hurt some of you? There's plenty about the state I'm not crazy about, but it's not this hellhole of nothing some of you seem weirdly invested in making it out to be.
I've never met a person in my life saying I'm going to MO on vacation. I knew 2 peers in my company that grew up in the St Louis area. They were so happy to leave the city and the state.

PiratesMansion

I've never met a person in my life saying I'm going to MO on vacation. I knew 2 peers in my company that grew up in the St Louis area. They were so happy to leave the city and the state.
Where are you from? Because that definitely affects how many people would head to Missouri. It's probably not ever going to be a heavy hitter in tourism on a national scale, but as someone who has spent over 30 years living in various parts of Illinois, Missouri does come up now and again as a place people visit, especially in the central part of the state where you're further away from Chicago and the suburbs. People do visit St. Louis and Kansas City, but also for Branson, caves, outdoorsy activities, Lake of the Ozarks, etc.

It's definitely a regional tourism destination and not a national one-most people that visit Missouri are coming from within a day's drive or so, and it can be difficult and expensive to fly into the area-but that doesn't mean it has no merit. St. Louis has some pretty good museums and a pretty good zoo, and they're free on top of everything. There are tons of beautiful natural areas. And while I could take or leave Branson and its brand of tourism, Silver Dollar City genuinely is one of the best of its class nationally. Just because something hasn't made national headway doesn't mean it can't be any good.

Off the top of my head, there are many states less interesting to visit than Missouri:
-Indiana
-Iowa
-Nebraska
-Arkansas
-Kansas
-Wisconsin
-North Dakota
-Ohio, unless you like coaster parks and zoos.
-West Virginia
-Kentucky
-Oklahoma

By comparison, Missouri's not so bad off, especially in comparison to other driveable options for people in nearby states.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Where are you from? Because that definitely affects how many people would head to Missouri. It's probably not ever going to be a heavy hitter in tourism on a national scale, but as someone who has spent over 30 years living in various parts of Illinois, Missouri does come up now and again as a place people visit, especially in the central part of the state where you're further away from Chicago and the suburbs. People do visit St. Louis and Kansas City, but also for Branson, caves, outdoorsy activities, Lake of the Ozarks, etc.

It's definitely a regional tourism destination and not a national one-most people that visit Missouri are coming from within a day's drive or so, and it can be difficult and expensive to fly into the area-but that doesn't mean it has no merit. St. Louis has some pretty good museums and a pretty good zoo, and they're free on top of everything. There are tons of beautiful natural areas. And while I could take or leave Branson and its brand of tourism, Silver Dollar City genuinely is one of the best of its class nationally. Just because something hasn't made national headway doesn't mean it can't be any good.

Off the top of my head, there are many states less interesting to visit than Missouri:
-Indiana
-Iowa
-Nebraska
-Arkansas
-Kansas
-Wisconsin
-North Dakota
-Ohio, unless you like coaster parks and zoos.
-West Virginia
-Kentucky
-Oklahoma

By comparison, Missouri's not so bad off, especially in comparison to other driveable options for people in nearby states.
The west and east coasters have little interest in the flyover states. You know that. It’s like they don’t exist. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom