Is it "okay" to expect better?

Travel Junkie

You keep looking for ways to blame the consumer,

I am not blaming consumers for anything. When I compare Disneyland to other theme parks, Disneyland is in a very favorable position IMO. As I have said numerous times they are far from perfect. Overall though I feel it is a better overall experience than any other theme park with one exception.

The best symbolic example is still the roof lights on the Grand Floridian. They haven't worked in years, but they keep raising the room rates. Should customers be OK with that?

I have only talked about Disneyland. I never mentioned the hotels or WDW.

Personally I do not stay at WDW hotels. I find them to be a horrible value. I will not stay in them until they do become a better value. Hopefully that answers your question on whether you think I am okay with how they operate and what they charge. The problem is WDW hotels will not change their tune until more people stay off site.

They don't have the same problem with the comparable hotels at HKDL, DLP and TDR.

You lost me after TDR. Yes TDR is better maintained but far from perfect. I've noticed plenty of issues over the years. They do tend to fix them quickly though.

Mentioning Paris only hurts your argument. Paris's reputation of being an operational and maintenance nightmare is well deserved. They have actually gotten much better after Disney gained full control of the resort. In the case of Paris, Disney gaining full control has helped immensely even though it can still be a frustrating place to visit. I prefer other theme parks in Europe to DLP.

bryanfze55

I am not blaming consumers for anything. When I compare Disneyland to other theme parks, Disneyland is in a very favorable position IMO. As I have said numerous times they are far from perfect. Overall though I feel it is a better overall experience than any other theme park with one exception.

I have only talked about Disneyland. I never mentioned the hotels or WDW.

Personally I do not stay at WDW hotels. I find them to be a horrible value. I will not stay in them until they do become a better value. Hopefully that answers your question on whether you think I am okay with how they operate and what they charge. The problem is WDW hotels will not change their tune until more people stay off site.

You lost me after TDR. Yes TDR is better maintained but far from perfect. I've noticed plenty of issues over the years. They do tend to fix them quickly though.

Mentioning Paris only hurts your argument. Paris's reputation of being an operational and maintenance nightmare is well deserved. They have actually gotten much better after Disney gained full control of the resort. In the case of Paris, Disney gaining full control has helped immensely even though it can still be a frustrating place to visit. I prefer other theme parks in Europe to DLP.

Paris’ issues are given a pass by those who are (rightfully or not) jaded by the American Disney parks.

These things exist on a spectrum, and it seems like Tokyo sets the standard. Not sure about Hong Kong or Shanghai, but I would imagine Hong Kong is well maintained, albeit with a less than stellar lineup of attractions.

But even in the US, there is a clear distinction between Disneyland’s standard of care and WDW’s standard of care. I’ve been to both many times. WDW may have more to do, but showmanship standards are much higher in Disneyland. So blanket statements like “Disney lets their American parks go to hell” don’t tell the whole story. Even that exists on a spectrum.

Animaniac93-98

Mentioning Paris only hurts your argument.

I was specifically referencing the Paris Disneyland Hotel, which like the Grand Floridian, Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel and Tokyo Disneyland Hotel is decorated with popcorn lights on the exterior roof.

Even in 2013 during my first visit (pre-Disney ownership), the lights were mostly working, unlike Grand Floridian.

Darkbeer1

In a December interview, Cedar Point General Manager Jason McClure said the park is working to alleviate some areas of concern related to overcrowding, although he declined to be more specific.

He noted that Cedar Point, despite some well-documented parking challenges, did not set any single-day attendance records in the fall.

Part of the problem is that on Saturdays in October, in particular, crowds tend to arrive in the same mid-afternoon timeframe. “We may try to educate guests more about the anticipated crowds,” said McClure.

He added: “Anytime a guest comes to the park, we want it to be a good experience. If we sell a lot of passes and no one has fun — that is not what we want.”<<

Phroobar

In a December interview, Cedar Point General Manager Jason McClure said the park is working to alleviate some areas of concern related to overcrowding, although he declined to be more specific.

He noted that Cedar Point, despite some well-documented parking challenges, did not set any single-day attendance records in the fall.

Part of the problem is that on Saturdays in October, in particular, crowds tend to arrive in the same mid-afternoon timeframe. “We may try to educate guests more about the anticipated crowds,” said McClure.

He added: “Anytime a guest comes to the park, we want it to be a good experience. If we sell a lot of passes and no one has fun — that is not what we want.”<<
Cedar Fair to Disney: "Thanks for building Galaxy's Edge."

Phroobar

Another thing we should expect to be better is a reliable ride experience. Sure complicated ride systems have opening day bugs but Disney's track record on this kind of thing is reliability doesn't improve for at least a year. See Test Track.

Everyday at a Disney park we see rides close down for part of the day. For the amount of money guests pay, one would think Disney could have enough technical staff to keep ride closure to a minimum. The number one resort destination shouldn't have these kind of problems.

Model3 McQueen

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Disney could be a leading example of fair wage, creative output, and employee health.

Too bad Disney is an American company though.

Is there a reason as to why we're scoffing at this? Peak days are now $200 a person and it's ridiculous that Disney could take extra care of their CM's at a park that's probably overwhelming for them? I don't get it.

Travel Junkie

I was specifically referencing the Paris Disneyland Hotel, which like the Grand Floridian, Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel and Tokyo Disneyland Hotel is decorated with popcorn lights on the exterior roof.

Even in 2013 during my first visit (pre-Disney ownership), the lights were mostly working, unlike Grand Floridian.

Is that your only time staying in Paris? Trust me DLP hotels have plenty of ongoing issues including cleanliness.

No place is immune, even Tokyo. The fan bases complain plenty in Tokyo about things ranging from it being too expensive to drops in quality and being cheap. Over the last several years they have seen a drop in entertainment (not the quality but the number shows.) Entertainment options are a fraction of what it used to be. Also until recently the parks in Tokyo were very stagnant on new attractions. It took flat attendance and the rise of USJ to wake OLC up out of a slumber. Much like Disney in the U.S. it took prodding for major investment to be made.

Understandably we tend to only see the positive in places we don't visit very often and tediously complain about the places we visit a lot. Overall though, all Disney parks and all theme parks have plenty of good and bad. Even Tokyo is far from perfect. I still think TDS is the best theme park on the planet, but other parks are catching up as TDS has not added much in the last few years. Hopefully Fantasy Springs lives up to the hype.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
If you own a public company and purposefully spend more money than needed, you are not acting in the shareholder's best interest. If Disney wanted to pay all their minimum wage workers 70k a year suddenly, they would most likely be in violation of some type of FTC rules for running a public company.

I don't know why you think the FTC would even be involved in that scenario. As the FTC doesn't have any jurisdiction over how much a company pays their employees or in corporate fiduciary responsibility to its shareholders. Typically it is the Board of Directors job to make sure a company is providing the shareholders with a return on their investment and to make sure the company maintains its fiduciary responsibility to the same. That is why the Board of Directors is made up of independent members and not people employed by the company.

If anything a lawsuit would be filed with the SEC for corporate maleficence and a vote of no confidence would be taken against the Board and the CEO at the next shareholder meeting. All of which would lead to the Board being removed and replaced by the shareholders, and then they would replace the CEO. No Board or CEO would risk that, which is why they do everything possible to make sure shareholders are happy.

bryanfze55

Is there a reason as to why we're scoffing at this? Peak days are now $200 a person and it's ridiculous that Disney could take extra care of their CM's at a park that's probably overwhelming for them? I don't get it.

I’m not saying Disney shouldn’t take care of its employees. But they already are. Disney’s employees are the highest paid in the theme park industry. What do you want? For cast members to make as much as teachers? Engineers? Where does it end? Why don’t you tell us what a fair wage for a cast member is. Also, Disney is investing in “employee health,” at least at WDW. They’re working to ensure healthier food options are available for cast members

Mickeyboof

I’m not saying Disney shouldn’t take care of its employees. But they already are. Disney’s employees are the highest paid in the theme park industry. What do you want? For cast members to make as much as teachers? Engineers? Where does it end? Why don’t you tell us what a fair wage for a cast member is. Also, Disney is investing in “employee health,” at least at WDW. They’re working to ensure healthier food options are available for cast members

Make as much as teachers!?! How much do you think teachers make, hun?

Mickeyboof

Regardless of pay, let’s not forget a lot of employees are currently facing dramatically cut hours. Who care what your hourly wage is when Bob & Bob won’t even let the managers put you on the schedule.

bryanfze55

I was not insinuating that teachers are particularly well-paid. I just threw out some professions requiring a college education to gauge what wage level you think a CM should be paid. I know this much: my sister-in-law taught in San Clemente and made just under $60K. She was just a few years out of college. Her husband was an engineer making about $100K. That is the reason I chose those two professions in particular. They ultimately moved back here because it was too expensive to live there. Even with pay cuts, they are much better off. So how much should a CM make? This seems like a cost of living in SoCal problem more than a Disney problem.

bryanfze55

Regardless of pay, let’s not forget a lot of employees are currently facing dramatically cut hours. Who care what your hourly wage is when Bob & Bob won’t even let the managers put you on the schedule.

Now that I agree with. If you’re full time, you should get full time hours. This is an issue across the entire service industry.

John park hopper

The average teacher salary in NY is 60K-80K/year not too bad
Guess it's time to find a new job or get skills that will make you a better salary

Phroobar

I say bump up all cast members to $20/hr salaried (no overtime), let them participate in corporate health plans/401ks and forbid them from joining all Unions. They will participate in all yearly employee reviews and merit increases.

Mickeyboof

I say bump up all cast members to $20/hr salaried (no overtime), let them participate in corporate health plans/401ks and forbid them from joining all Unions. They will participate in all yearly employee reviews and merit increases.

Forbid unions?

Thank god for my Union, I’m sitting pretty because of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom