Is It Just Me, or Do Omnimovers Stop a Lot More Than They Used To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yert3

Original Poster
Every time I go on an omnimover attraction, especially The Haunted Mansion, they stop extremely frequently. I’d figure about 99% of the time, they’re just letting handicap people on and off. But here’s the thing. I don’t remember omnimovers stopping all that often about a decade ago and before. This is puzzling to me, because handicap people have always existed. They didn’t just pop up out of nowhere. So why didn’t they stop all that often back then? When I was on Haunted Mansion last week, it stopped 4 times in a single ride. Now, I’m a regular, so I don’t mind at all that this happens, so I’m not really complaining per se. It’s more of a curiosity.

Goofyernmost

Every time I go on an omnimover attraction, especially The Haunted Mansion, they stop extremely frequently. I’d figure about 99% of the time, they’re just letting handicap people on and off. But here’s the thing. I don’t remember omnimovers stopping all that often about a decade ago and before. This is puzzling to me, because handicap people have always existed. They didn’t just pop up out of nowhere. So why didn’t they stop all that often back then? When I was on Haunted Mansion last week, it stopped 4 times in a single ride. Now, I’m a regular, so I don’t mind at all that this happens, so I’m not really complaining per se. It’s more of a curiosity.
They may have always existed but not in the numbers that they do now. Two reasons, is that handicapped are finally able to be convinced that they can leave home and have a good time, plus and this is a big PLUS, all of us baby boomers are aging at the speed of sound, so that huge part of the population are starting to require assistance. However, whenever anyone gets annoyed at the frequent, albeit short stops, remember that time waits for no one and someday, no matter how much anyone tries to deny it... those stops will be perhaps for all of us.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Yep. More Frequently and for a longer duration. "Your vehicle will begin moving shortly" is now part of the ride. And that's not a criticism. There are a lot of factors in play. It is what it is.

Bronson55

They do and, frankly, it ruins the show. There needs to be set times each hour block where people who need to transfer can board. Every 5 or so minutes is ridiculous.
Great idea...As long as no able bodied, non weight challenged guests are able to ride during those times...better yet how about a Gimp Week where all disabled guests can enjoy the park free of the haters. We have Gay Pride week, Jersey week, Cheerleader week, Marathon week . Just in case some of you don't get it ... I'm being sarcastic . If this thread had made it past five postings I probably wouldn't have responded.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I find it to be quite the opposite.
a decade ago I couldn't go a full scene without stopping on HM.
The last several trips I've taken notice that I haven't stopped a single time during the entire ride!
Same for PP and Under the Sea.

Disney.Mike

Seems like it. The load ramps are plenty long as it is... Probably has to do with our world record obesity statistics

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Under the Sea stops for me a LOT. I've always wondered what would happen if someone got trapped in one of the loops on Aerosmith or any other coaster that goes upside down for that matter.

wombat

They do and, frankly, it ruins the show. There needs to be set times each hour block where people who need to transfer can board. Every 5 or so minutes is ridiculous.
Quite right. How dare the old and infirm spoil the enjoyment of others. You are very selfish and if you are lucky, you may live long enough to become a 'bit less able'. Another example of Me Me Me attitude

Bartledvd

The stops for disabled guests is fine and correct but i would bet a large number of stops are also because of people letting kids stand up or sticking arms outside the vehicles to get a picture or other nonsense.

CLEtoWDW

We had “ride stops” during our June trip at the following attractions: Spaceship earth, The Living Seas with Nemo and Friends, The Gran Fiesta Tour, Under the Sea, Peoplemover, Pirate of the Carribean, and it’s a small world.
I’m beginning to think the same... this is getting a little ridiculous. I’m not in favor of denying access but something needs to be done and I don’t know the solution. Can you imagine how often the Skyliner is going to stop?

Edit: one other item that drove me up a wall during our last trip. We were exiting MK after HEA and in line to board the bus to Y&BC. The line was at least two bus full deep and we were towards the front and an empty bus was approaching. Just as the bus parked a party of four with one on a scooter drove right around the queue and parked right in front of the door where the ramp deploys. The driver of the bus deploys the ramp and the lady in the scooter and her family (assuming) of four board the bus. Once we boarded the bus we noticed several other riders giving the party a hard time because they seemed to use the scooter as a FP. Worse yet... when the bus arrived at YC THE LADY WALKED OFF THE BUS and all the way through the hotel while another guest in the party took the scooter. I didn’t say a word but I felt bad for all those people that had to wait for another bus due to the scooter family. It just seems wrong to me and I’m sure it happens quite a bit.

Last edited:

MaximumEd

We’ve rode Under the Sea many times over the years. Don’t think we’ve ever made it all the way through without the ride stopping. Bad luck, I guess.

Skibum1970

Just to echo what a few others have said, one day it will probably be you that causes the brief stop. Will you want people complaining about you or calling you names for being unable to physically move as quickly as you did a couple decades ago? What if you develop Parkinsons or maybe have a child with physical challenges? I suppose we could just implement a rule that only physically fit specimens can go to the parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom