Is Haunted Mansion Movie Really Bad?

Djali999

it's one of the most universally "blah" movies I've seen in a while. it had some really, really cool stuff in it. but it also had some just horrible moments and really painful scenes. it all factors out to one big zero.

on one hand, it's much more like going on the attraction than Pirates. as far as an "old dark house" movie goes, it's a worthy inclusion in the genre. the acting is (I think) uniformly acceptable / good, the sets are beautiful, the music is fantastic, and the effects are fun.

but, damn, is it dull.

some cool scenes and sets do not a good movie make.

after 40 minutes of "exploring the Mansion" stuff, I began to lose interest right around the point where zombies began popping up. and the third act - literally - goes to hell.

the end is drawn out and pathetic. and it comes complete with obvious Christ-like imagery and a somewhat botched allusion to Beauty & the Beast.

this was a troubled production. I think the original cut was longer and scarier, as it's obvious it was cut to ribbons in post. the DVD will be an interesting expirence.

a lot of very talented people worked on Mansion, and faithfully. I have to give them credit for having the balls to even do it -- I wouldn't. so HM, in my eyes, gets an A for effort but a C for execution. it just somehow doesn't totally gel.

stick with Pirates. it has conviction and genuine fun, even if it's a hair longwinded. I had more fun with that film than any I've seen in a theatre for years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom