is guest patience at WDW getting worse

stlbobby

I think all of the above posts about the general population are true, but I think the problem is magnified at WDW. I think it has also gotten worse as WDW has grown. Disney has become amazingly adept at getting massive crowds all year round. This means the cast members don't get a break. The massive crowds and sheer number of attractions have lead to longer and longer hours, testing everyone's patience.

There is also the colossal size of everything. The resorts, the parks, the parking are all experiences in themselves. People are used to a normal theme park where they can see everything in one day. That doesn't happen at Disney and people can feel cheated or an enormous pressure to move faster. Add in the continuous sensory input and many people can easily overload.

I do think the one thing Disney could do to keep tempers in check is instruct the CM's to be a little more proactive on things like smokers, line cutters, and crazy scooter drivers. I doubt they will because they want to avoid conflict.

Pioneer Hall

Agreed. The world just doesn't want to wait for anything, and that spills over to Disney World. However, I just don't let it bother me. As some people have stated before, I just choose not to let unhappy people ruin my vacation.

I'm the same way, I go to enjoy myself and no one can really stop that from happening. We also tend to make a bigger deal out of the problematic guests when we visit, because they are a lot more memorable. However, if we really stop and think about it there is probably one problem person out of every hundred or thousand there. Ignore the problems...enjoy the trip.

Mr.Skunkape

Original Poster
This may seem strange but with so much being done online from chats to shopping to paying bills that many tasks that you had to do face to face with people you can now do online without personal contact. Maybe this is making it harder for people to keep their cool in the parks because of declining personal contact they have on a daily basis

And if you see someone being hateful to one of the CM's, please let them know that even if someone else doesn't appreciate them that you do. Turn the start of a bad day back into a good one for them please. They do put up with so much bull from some people and I know that they will appreciate a kind word in exchange.

CaptainShortty

And if you see someone being hateful to one of the CM's, please let them know that even if someone else doesn't appreciate them that you do. Turn the start of a bad day back into a good one for them please. They do put up with so much bull from some people and I know that they will appreciate a kind word in exchange.

It's true. Getting yelled at always puts you in a bad mood even if it's for the dumbest things or something that's completely out of your control. Getting a compliment can really put you right back on your feet and brighten your day.

A story based on that...While I was a DAKL CM I was working and one of my fellow CMs was checking in a particularly difficult guest at the stall next to me. She had a zillion problems (wrong rooms, had to have concierge for all her multiple rooms reservations, needed tickets on some, not on others, dining plan issues, etc.) and whatever anyone did for her wasn't right or enough. They had the manager working on it and she was doing a fantastic job just taking it all in and trying best to help her get what she wanted. While this was going on I continued to check-in other guests. I happened to be checking in a mother who witnessed most of the ordeal with the woman next to me. At the end of the check-in she asked if she could have a piece of paper and a pen. She scribbled something on my pad, handed it back to me and asked if I would give it to the CM next to me when I was done. As the note was in plain sight, I looked down to a note reading, "Dear Ann, You are doing a fantastic job dealing with this very difficult guest. Thank you for being such a fantastic Cast Member." When the ordeal next to me was over I handed the letter to a very aggravated and tired Ann and it absolutely made her day. She regained her smile and continued checking in guests with her usual Disney magic about her.

Shows that little words of thanks don't go unnoticed or unappreciated. =)

KingdomofDreams

I agree Jacks_Wench!

Thankfully, we've come across very few over-the-top rude people on our trips. There have been a couple of unfortunate encounters through the years, but we've always managed to just ignore and move on, determined to not allow them to ruin our good time.

Courtesy and respect are becoming more difficult to find in society in general these days, but I believe part of the problem is stress is at an all-time high. Many people who are still fortunate enough to be working, are working much harder and for longer hours to make up for all their co-workers who have been let go due to cutbacks. Plus, people are paying more and more for their vacation at Disney, which may be the only escape they get for a long time. Squeezing every last bit out of that time and $$$$ spent becomes more and more important to them. Throw in the intense heat and humidity in Orlando, the massive crowds crammed into the parks (more than should be imo) and wait times of an hour or more just to get on a < 5 minute ride or be able to see the parade or show, and you've got a recipe for disaster. I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen with more frequency than it does.

erasure fan1

While I agree that technology has made this a worldwide issue, unfortunately, I believe it is a problem mostly found with my fellow Americans.

Sadly, I think you're right. :(
We noticed a huge difference in behavior when visiting Tokyo Disney back in '07.

Almost made me ashamed of my own culture.

Im here at the world right now and I will say I think you are both off base. Its the foreign guests that are by far the worst offenders. And they love to use the "language barrier" as a way to justify it.

As far as its not the same in Tokyo, then that to me says they dont tolerate the nonsense that the American parks put up with. There isnt a lot that you cant get away with in WDW.

BrittanyRose428

People don't know what respect is anymore. They don't even respect themselves. They definitely do not have any manners. They have also forgotten the most important words, PLEASE and THANK YOU.
Agreed. I work in retail, and literally everyday I have to deal with horribly rude people and it is beyond me how people can seriously have such a lack of respect for themselves and others.

BigRedDad

It has nothing to do with WDW. It has to do about our new society and culture of entitlement and timeouts. People have no respect for others in our country and their time is far more valuable than everyone else.

Impatience

Everyone is so right with their comments.
People want instant gratification and are not prepared to wait in line for rides/food/merchandise.
There seems to be alot of selfishness, people thinking of themselves and having no respect for others.
Give respect and you get it back!!

bugsbunny

It's the "me" generation now. Internet in your pocket and everything on demand. But most importantly, it's "me" or "but it's MY kids" so therefore everyone else stop what you are doing because it's "ME" and Im more important than you.

It's everywhere these days. Common courtesy starts with the parents and it's fading. Expect the next generation to be even worse. I've been a volunteer fireman for 15+ years. I can count on two fingers the amount of times someone actually thanked me and ashook my hand. Everybody just expects everything for free and fast.

I agree, we just got back from 10 days at Disney, and I was stunned by how impatient some people could get. One day we were waiting in line for fastpasses for Thunder Mountain which was very busy. I was queuing behind a large family and something wasn't working with the machine. Everyone behind me started groaning and muttering when the CM (poor guy) came over to fix it. A few minutes later it worked and the family proceeded with their stack of fastpasses. The couple behind me started grumbling and saying how ridiculous it was and I just ignored them. It's the machine's fault that it broke, and not much could have been done about it. It got to my turn and it broke down again. The couple in line left because it was too slow. Literally, I had been queuing 5 minutes max but it must have felt like longer. Good news is I got my fastpasses in the end! It was a magical trip despite the crowds and impatient people.

Also, the Toy Story Midway Mania situation is insane! We were there at park opening, and even though I knew it would be busy, I was shocked how bad it was! I walked to it and all machines were running, with people demanding the CM's to do something about the lines. I got my fastpasses quarter of an hour after park opening and they were for 11. Safe to say I won't be going again in the summer!

ChristianG

Being born in 1997, I don't know what people were like back in the 50's and 70's when Disneyland and The Magic Kingdom first opened, but I'm sure that they were way more patient back then. Everything these days is a race. I even tell my parents to slow down sometimes when we're in the parks. I'm one of the few kids today that don't mind waiting in lines. Everything is not about you. You have to respect the people and environment around you. If you have to wait in line for a ride or food, then wait. I mean, if the wait for a restaurant is above 45 min., we usually find a new restaurant.. but we don't make a huge deal out of it.

Jakester

This past July 4th, i was at Magic Kingdom and has secured a spot for the 9:00pm Celebrate America Fireworks around 7:00pm and around 8:30pm, some old couple tried to squeeze their way in and this nice guy next to us said keep movin, You didnt stand here for 2hours keep movin.

Also at Magic Kingdom this past new years, I got a spot along the parade route in the magic kingdom hub (on the side facing the tomorrowland terrance) around 5:00pm for the 7:00pm MSEP, 8:30PM Fireworks and the 10:30pm MSEP (I moved a little further out for the 11:50pm fireworks) and you wouldnt believe how many people who kept walking by who kept forcing themselves into a VERY TINY ALREADY OVERCROWDED SPACE. I had to stand with literally 2feet of footspace for HOURS. Its like "If you wanted a great spot, then do what the others do and stake it out and not wait until last minute".

draybook

Yeah, we always find a spot that has enough room for just us and ours bags behind the rope. We usually either sit right at the turn from HoP towards CBJ, or right in front of the Liberty Tree.

The last minute "squeezers" are something that can be guaranteed, along with death and taxes.

Meeko's Mom

Stayed at SSR April 15-April 22 this year and could not believe the way some guy acted over a bus. Yes the buses were running a little slower than normal but it was the height of Spring Break. You have to expect that during busier times the wait could be a little longer. He was extremely loud and vey animated while he was speaking to a CM that happened to be there (I assumed monitoring the buses, as she was there watching and had a clip board). His wife looked mortified. I was embarassed for her and her family. He looked lik a total a**. Mind you everyone else at the stop had been there for a good twenty minutes and never said boo. He was there all of 5-10 minutes and then when the bus did come, he raced in front of everyone that had been waiting like he was entitled. :fork:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom