Is "Future World" part of Obsoletecot?

nibblesandbits

This is something I have actually thought a lot about since working in "future" world in 2002. Some of my thoughts:

1. Epcot is currently on the brink of having a cohesive theme again. Before, it was an individual showcase of the accomplishments of people. It was meant to inspire then entertain (note educate is not in there). Now, the focus has shifted a bit. It is more "fun"-oriented. However, it is still meant as a showcase for human accomplishment. It just shows us the fun side of that instead of the inspirational side. In a way, the entire park has become what Kitchen Kabaret was in the 1980s, and I don't think that is a bad thing.

Where the issue is is that that hasn't been stated. I think the Technology Showcase idea is interesting, but I personally would advocate for the Future Worlds Fair banner. It harkens to what was before, but it has a different connotation. It is a showcase of what we have done that will bring us into tomorrow. Have SSE and Innov. be part of the Future Core (subland). Then you have FWF East and West, like we do now. Keep the center as the inspriational showcase of cutting edge technology (and ramp it up more). Then have the ring around it showcase the fun side of what we have done as a species (much like it does now - be a part and experience it!).

2. Now, more than ever, we could use a nice set of logos to tie everything together. This park SCREAMS marketing potential under the guide of the prior Worlds Fair's. I think that has always been underutilized. Since this really is focusing on the fun side, I firmly believe audiences will be more receptive to this. It is an ample opportunity to again inspire... just in a different way.

3. By focusing on the present instead of the future, we can slow down the outdatedness. It also allows for minor tweaks and installations to update. Really, the only attractions that need constant monitoring would be SSE and Innov. (easily done). If we find cars are going to look at alternative fuel runs, add a section on the curve tests dealing with efficiency or take out the blocks and deal with emissions testing. Lots of potential. If we develop a new growing system that allows space growth, add a section to LwtL. easy, minor rehab updates that freshen up the attractions and the message.

4. Don't be afraid of the adults. There is a lot of fun to be had at Epcot, and you may have to grow into it. In a way, it is the new PI. A place for adults to unwind and experience something they can't elsewhere. If kids see that, they will want to come back (eventually) to experience it for themselves. Some pandering works, but the line of showing what we do and having fun doing it will always appeal to almost everyone. That's why FW was always my favorite area as a kid in all of WDW. By switching to this side of the future, I think it is true even more. Plus, the more you know as you age, the better you appreciate what goes into it.
Wow...I actually agree with a lot of that. I know we have had our differences in our views of Epcot, but this is something I totally think would work.

Great post!

toadh63

...EPCOT is a World's Fair. it is not Tomorrowland. Every pavillion, including World Showcase touts its goods and services during or after the ride/attraction. Canada, China, HP, GM, maybe Seimens someday ... I really think that for an element of freshness, Disney need to agressively court large corporations to build WF style pavillions in EPCOT. Let them sell their product by wrapping it up in mind-blowing dark rides.

I agree 100% ... IMHO, many of the best attractions at WDW and DL, past or present, started out as corporate-sponsored rides. Horizons, World of Motion, Test Track, Carousel of Progress, Adventure Through Inner Space and so on. Yes, corporate sponsorship these days pretty much seems limited to either one company taking over from a previous sponsor (like Seimens replacing ATT) or trade show exhibits (Innoventions); but Imagineering can still work wonders with the right backing.

And no more simulators, please... motion theaters were pretty cool twenty years ago, but the novelty of getting thrown around in a box while watching a movie wore off a loooong time ago.

Scooter

Grizz...is this really just YOU under a differant name?:lol:

I don't care what it's called....EPCOT is my favorite park.
True..some things don't make sense...
Innoventions: Segways...yes...Fire truck...no
Spaceship earth: Good but needs a new ending and to open up the inter active area.
Universe of Energy: I liked the original version. While I enjoy Ellen Degenerous, It's too much about her. Seems like the original version caught my attension and kept it longer. I almost fall alseep in this attraction now.
Living Seas/Nemo : I'm not opposed to the change, as long as you still are being taught something while inside this Pavillion.
Wonders of Life: For Gawd sakes...DO something with this building would ya?
Mission Space: Well done
Imagination: Bye Bye...time for a show called "Honey I tore down this building and built something worthwhile"...but find a way to keep Figment around..He's a cutey.
Test Track: Why is this in future world? Shouldn't it be in The Magic Kingdom replacing the Indy Speedway?...no better yet...move it to Mickey's Toontown Fair...it's a kiddy ride.

wbt06

my fav park is def epcot. i first went when test track was brand new so i missed out on all the old rides. i have been about 30 times since then. i think the best part is there is something for everyone now. i think putting finding nemo shows that the imaginers are trying to get everyone thinking. when kids walk into an aquirium with gineric fish the dont really care about saving the sea. when you put nemo into the picture it hits them that if there is no sea there is no nemo. TT and MS really are for the teen's. what teenage boy does not want to fly in space or drive fast. Epcot has had its disapointments but i am starting to see a pattern with why the rides are changing the way they are. When i first went i was told that Epcot was boaring and more like school. that has def changed over the last couple of years

Epcot82Guy

Wow...I actually agree with a lot of that. I know we have had our differences in our views of Epcot, but this is something I totally think would work.

Great post!

ALERT THE MEDIA! :lol: (kidding)

I actually think a lot of the debates on here have pushed me to really try and look at it from multiple angles. The debate rages because the approaches involve someone losing out (either change or a simple lack from the get go). However, I think Epcot is on the forefront of harkening back to the things that worked while changing what didn't. The logos worked as a concept.
IMAG worked as a concept. So did Horizons. But, times require change. What is the greatest problem was that things left while being replaced by things that are simply not inspiring. The thing Disney used to do OH SO WELL was find balance in change. It was progress (meaning, again, keeping what works, changing what doesn't). I really feel my post above would showcase just that, and, by your agreement, it seems everyone would be much happier. It would give (a) something to everyone from each side and (b) allow for a more obvious reasoning behind change. Then everyone signs on and people love Epcot for various reasons.

I think we will always fundamentally disagree on the character importation, but that is a concession I am willing to give if we can get some other improvements in the "old way". :lol:

Not to rehash that debate, but I do find it very interesting the number of people I hear talk about WDW "shoving Mickey down my throat." I guess I see that as the reasoning, if nothing else, to pick one park to be a bit character free (at least in permanent attractions). But, I digress...

ToTBellHop

All the UoE hating...I used to fall asleep trying to watch the old show. It wasn't kid-friendly...I still find the current show to be very funny and I honestly love the Ellen's Energy Adventure theme music--so epic and fun! It used to be so cool when it was blasting at the entrance plaza...now you can barely hear it...at least they still blast it in the preshow room. I still love the show, though--it could certainly use an update, however. Do kids even know who Bill Nye the Science Guy is? I grew up watching his show...

Epcot82Guy

All the UoE hating...I used to fall asleep trying to watch the old show. It wasn't kid-friendly...I still find the current show to be very funny and I honestly love the Ellen's Energy Adventure theme music--so epic and fun! It used to be so cool when it was blasting at the entrance plaza...now you can barely hear it...at least they still blast it in the preshow room. I still love the show, though--it could certainly use an update, however. Do kids even know who Bill Nye the Science Guy is? I grew up watching his show...

I agree 100%. I never cared for the original as a kid. I think I would appreciate it more had it lasted until my teen/adulthood, but I think the new one is fun. It is qirky, humorous, and still has some beautiful parts to it. It certainly could use an upgrade, but I remember being quite happy with this particular reincarnation.

DisneyMusician2

I for one agree. I love the new EEA, and although it is a little dated now, it is much more entertaining yet still preserves a lot of the old Epcot feel. This was one of the rehabs that they really did well.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
i will say that the 45 minutes went by quicker then the old IMHO

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom