IS Fantasmic a tough FP+

DizneyPryncess

We just used a FP on Fantasmic the other day. We used all of our FP's early in the day (We had booked TSMM as our top tier, and used it first thing in the morning), and by noon we were allowed to book a 4th one. So we went, and got FP+ for Fantasmic because with a 2.5 year old in tow, there was nothing else left that we wanted to do with her that we needed a FP for. We had no problem getting one that day. There were 2 shows, but with her bedtime, only the first one was an option. We went in around 8:20 for the 9:00 show. I asked a CM where the FP seating was, and he pointed it out to me as a huge section of the theater that was quickly filling up. But then he said he had room for 3 in his section, the dining section, and put us there. So I don't know that we really needed the FP, but just wanted to chime in that we were able to get one the same day.

habuma

In December, we had a FP+ for Fantasmic. No big deal, because back then you could still get paper FPs, so we double-dipped and the Fantasmic FP didn't hurt us. We arrived about 30 minutes before the 9:00 show and aside from going through a different line than the rest of the crowd, there was no noticeable benefit. The theater was already quite crowded and we ended up sitting to the far right, albeit near the front. I was hoping showing up early with a FP would get us closer to center, but no such luck.

I'd say that if you've burned through your other FP+ options and Fantasmic is still available, then sure...go ahead and get one. Couldn't hurt, I suppose. *Might* give you a slight (albeit, unmeasurable) edge over everyone else. But certainly don't waste a FP+ selection on Fantasmic when TSMM and RnRC are the other choices.

That's my strategy for next week. I have FP+ for TSMM first thing in the morning and my Tier 2 options shortly thereafter. Once those are gone, I hope to secure a 4th FP for RnRC. I might roll the dice and see if there are any more TSMM FP+s available for the 5th FP, although unlikely. After that, I *MIGHT* go to the trouble of getting a FP for Fantasmic...or I might just show up standby. It'll be a game-time decision.

cw1982

That's my strategy for next week. I have FP+ for TSMM first thing in the morning and my Tier 2 options shortly thereafter. Once those are gone, I hope to secure a 4th FP for RnRC. I might roll the dice and see if there are any more TSMM FP+s available for the 5th FP, although unlikely. After that, I *MIGHT* go to the trouble of getting a FP for Fantasmic...or I might just show up standby. It'll be a game-time decision.

That's exactly what I'm doing the first week of June!

Justinj2

I find it interesting they don't have an area for FP+ Guests when I frist did the FP+ for Fantasmic during MagicBand testing period I walked up to the FP+ Entrance and was directed to the FP+ seating the sign even said FP+ and it was roped off area that only we could use the other side was for dinner packages. So I'm wondering when that Stoped!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I find it interesting they don't have an area for FP+ Guests when I frist did the FP+ for Fantasmic during MagicBand testing period I walked up to the FP+ Entrance and was directed to the FP+ seating the sign even said FP+ and it was roped off area that only we could use the other side was for dinner packages. So I'm wondering when that Stoped!
We did the same!

coltow

And there you have it! That is the very reason why we do not do Fantasmic all that often. It is a very unique show but like I said not my favorite (others are over the top in love with it though) I'm just not one to wait 5 hours for Anna and Elsa, Guard a Parade spot for an hour+, or stake out a claim much more than 20 minutes for illuminations.

Unfortunately Fantasmic is the night show that you need to be admitted to and if you are not early or make some type of ressies you're out of luck. Standing room only is OK for adults but Kids will not be able to see much if anything.
We do Fantasmic every trip cuz I love it. We don't do the dining cuz have never been able to get a good time (not to mention we don't care for H&V or MM). We usually arrive 30mns before show time. By the time we actually get in it's now 20mns before show time. We have NEVER once had to stand or even been in the last 2 sections of seating. Any seat is fine you you really cannot have a bad view unless a lady with a big hat sits directly in front of you.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
We do Fantasmic every trip cuz I love it. We don't do the dining cuz have never been able to get a good time (not to mention we don't care for H&V or MM). We usually arrive 30mns before show time. By the time we actually get in it's now 20mns before show time. We have NEVER once had to stand or even been in the last 2 sections of seating. Any seat is fine you you really cannot have a bad view unless a lady with a big hat sits directly in front of you.

We were in our seats an hour in advance and as we were making the hike up to the theater area they were making the the repeated announcement that and stand by seating was gone. Less than 1/3 of the theater is now standby and the balance is for dining reserved seating and FP+ reserved seating sections. I don't know how many times you have done what you describe since FP+ and dining became apx. 2/3 of the seating available but from my experience last month 20 minutes in advance for standby seating is risky advice now suggest given what I saw last month. Even prior to that guests were lining up down Sunset Blvd. 2 hours in advance for Fantasmic so last minute seating for Fantasmic is nothing new in most seasons.

I don't make this stuff up, here is the queue at 7pm for a 830pm show.
disney-s-hollywood-studios.jpg

How anyone would expect a seat 20 minutes in advance is beyond me unless it a very very low attendance time and even then they cut the number of shows per week. I don't advocate showing up at the last minute even for FP+ or Dining reserved seating.

Last edited:

disney4life2008

Agree. And don't get buried front and center in the theater. It will take you ages to get out!

I never got to Fantasmic any earlier than 30 min and have always gotten decent seats. I recommend you save your FP+ for something else :)

I must be the only one who likes to be one of the last to leave. I love the music played on exit.

disney4life2008

We were in our seats an hour in advance and as we were making the hike up to the theater area they were making the the repeated announcement that and stand by seating was gone. Less than 1/3 of the theater is now standby and the balance is for dining reserved seating and FP+ reserved seating sections. I don't know how many times you have done what you describe since FP+ and dining became apx. 2/3 of the seating available but from my experience last month 20 minutes in advance for standby seating is risky advice now suggest given what I saw last month. Even prior to that guests were lining up down Sunset Blvd. 2 hours in advance for Fantasmic so last minute seating for Fantasmic is nothing new in most seasons.

I don't make this stuff up, here is the queue at 7pm for a 830pm show.
disney-s-hollywood-studios.jpg

How anyone would expect a seat 20 minutes in advance is beyond me unless it a very very low attendance time and even then they cut the number of shows per week. I don't advocate showing up at the last minute even for FP+ or Dining reserved seating.

This has become more of a normality than rarity. In years past - I could arrive at HS literally 15 mins before the show started and get a seat (not the greatest but I would get a seat). Now the line looks like this even in January when the parks were empty - the line was like this. However, this is more the case when there is ONE show. Always check out the second showing.

Gabe1

This has become more of a normality than rarity. In years past - I could arrive at HS literally 15 mins before the show started and get a seat (not the greatest but I would get a seat). Now the line looks like this even in January when the parks were empty - the line was like this. However, this is more the case when there is ONE show. Always check out the second showing.
Sadly there were two shows the evening we were there. Supply and demand. Vast majority of seats are now reserved.

cw1982

Sadly there were two shows the evening we were there. Supply and demand. Vast majority of seats are now reserved.

Kinda makes me wonder what they could do to improve this situation? Maybe make the first show ADR and FP+ only, and then make the second one walk-up only? Seems like both groups would benefit from having more room for seating.

Biggest drawback I can see to my suggestion is that they don't always do two shows. Maybe that needs to change as well, if the line for the show looks like that even in January.

disney4life2008

You are correct. And this is a result of FP+. When I was there in January people reserved Fantasmic! and they are now seated in the middle. And non reserves walk through the right side (long walk) to the theater and are seated on the far right or very far left. I always prefered the middle but FP+ has made Fantasmic a mess now

BigTxEars

We have it on the Wednesday we are there next month. Last time we used the dinning package. Guess we will see how the FP+ works for this soon. We have it for the second showing.

flynnibus

Premium Member

The same people that say 'you can walk into Nemo theater 5mins before the show' - Technically, yes... but you may find yourself in horrible seats and having to split your party up. Same with F! - you can show up, but who knows where they will try to stuff you, or if they will even bother.

Gabe1

The same people that say 'you can walk into Nemo theater 5mins before the show' - Technically, yes... but you may find yourself in horrible seats and having to split your party up. Same with F! - you can show up, but who knows where they will try to stuff you, or if they will even bother.

True. Some people surface on the sight for sound advice. I'd feel badly if they showed up for Fantasmic a few minutes before and heard the announcement we did of Standby filled, standing room only and children will see little or nothing of the show. At an hour out in the FP+ area we got good but not prime seats. By the 30 minute mark with FP+ plus people were squishing in where they could. We had a Man and son next to us and his wife and infant a couple of rows above us. I understand guests not wanting to waste a hour plus, but that is what it is. Much the reason I do not go every trip.

PolynesianPrincess

We trialed te F! FP+ last September and at that point they DID have a reserved section for FP+ users. It was direct center along with the dining plan package right next to it. When we booked it again in November, we arrive when the FP said to come back, I want to say 35 minutes before the show. When we couldn't find the section labeled for FP+ guests, I inquired with a CM who told me the FP+ only guarantees you a seat, but not a specific section. I was FURIOUS! I had used a FP on this assuming it would be the same as it was in September. But if I wanted a seat in the center, I would've still had to arrive early. I asked her what the point of the FP+ was and she repeated that it guarantees us a seat. I asked her how that was a guarantee? What if we arrive within our FP+ window but the seating was all full? What would they do, ask a family who had been there early to move? FP+ for F! is a JOKE. Don't waste your choices on it.

habuma

Following up to report my experience from earlier this week (May 19th)...

After burning through all of our other FP+ selections, we decided to go ahead and get a FP+ for Fantasmic. At around 2pm, it was still available with a return time for 8:25pm. Then we went about our merry way, enjoying other parts of the park without any FP+ to help us (mostly sitting in on Citizens of Hollywood shows).

At about 7:30pm, we had pretty much done all we wanted to do and decided to go ahead and head toward Fantasmic and to just sit it out until our 8:25pm return time. To our surprise, not only were they already letting FP+ holders in at 7:40pm, but the standby line was also already open! So we ran in and secured a spot about 6 rows back right next to the dinner package area. (FWIW, 6 rows back is a nice place, especially if you plan to photograph or video the show, because the railing won't be in your way.)

In short: That FP+ didn't accomplish *anything* for us. In fact, if we had followed its advice for an 8:25pm return time, we probably would've had much worse seats than we got. My advice going forward is to not waste the FP+ selection on Fantasmic and instead just plan on arriving *VERY* early if you want a good seat.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom