Is Epcot losing it's "wonderment" factor?

Epcot82Guy

I think its funny that some of the people who claim to miss Future World are the same people who were pulling for the Nemo refurb at The Living Seas. Disney could have went a totally different direction with the rehab of that ride....Update the movie...Make it about conservation...Keep it educational...Talk about global warming and how its affecting the oceans....Update the queue with new marine technology...Inspire people to make a change (the way the old Epcot did)!!!!! Instead we now have another attraction that has nothing to do with "the future" in Future World. I'm not sure you can even call it Future World anymore. Don't get me wrong, Test Track, Mission Space, and Sorin are amazing rides, but they lack the "wow factor", and the unity that Horizons, Motion, Imagination, and The Living Seas had.

I find most people who liked the original EPCOT thought the Seas could have had a better replacement, although many agreed that Nemo was well executed. It is an issue of story (again, standing by my thought that it would have taken nothing more than tarping off the entry of the clammobiles and adding an additional 6 lines of dialogue in the final scene with the characters discussing "Look at all the "new friends"! "What is he doing" etc. followed by a more blatant exit spiel or even written mural of "Your chance to explore" - so, in the long run, we are getting closer).

Therefore, I think there is room for both. Soarin' certainly has potential for that WOW factor, and I think a more global or "landform" oriented film will do just that (simply because Epcot serves a different purpose than DCA). I also think TT and M:S work because they talk to something different: the fun, experience of invention and technology. I entirely agree that Horizons ended before its time as did IMAG.

Interestingly, I find both M:S and TT to be more educational than either WoM or Horizons. The originals relied on whimsy and hope based on current trends or history. While they told a story, it was more like an entertaining 50's classroom film than a textbook lesson. But, that is my own take. Epcot can still have Future World (or the Future Worlds Fair :drevil: ) without necessarily being what it was. However, as with anything, rebranding means paying CLOSER attention to how things mesh together; not less.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom