Is Disney Too expensive?

DarthVader

Sith Lord
First, I'm not trying to troll anyone or intentionally trigger folks, but hear me out. I have a vacation scheduled for February vacation, so I'm not taking this lightly.

Just using broad strokes, my February vacation at POR for 9 days is budgeted to be about 14k (everything, food, universal, misc exp). Back in 2017 the same resort, same park tickets and length, etc - I paid around 6,500. Now that 14k was going to be 16k but I was able to use skymiles for the flight down.

Sticker shock really doesn't describe what I'm feeling and in all honesty there's a level of sadness because I really do feel like Disney is pricing this out of reach. I also have the very real sense of them nickel and diming us at every step. Free services have been replaced with ones that cost us money.

Last edited:

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Original Poster
That assumes that even with the natural increase in population there are fewer people in that monetary demographic as it's not a zero-sum game limited to a single country.
I think its fairly well known that the middle class is shrinking and if that's the case, then there will be less people willing or able to go. Granted this is for the US as you mentioned, Disney's appeal is world wide.
1641053493241.png

Upvote 0

Chi84

Premium Member
If anybody continues to purchase a poor quality product or service, they are loudly reinforcing to management that their strategy is working.

If you buy it that's fine, just don't complain that management continues to sell it.
Oh I agree. I'm not talking about people who buy a product or service and then complain about Disney continuing to sell it (although people have a right to express their opinion on the value of what they purchased). If the product is truly not worth it, they just won't buy it again. I'm talking about people who tell other people not to buy the product or service and then fault the ones who do. Ultimately, everyone will vote with their wallets and Disney will respond accordingly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveAZee

That chart shows the loss of middle income households is being replaced by higher income households. That dynamic would lead to not only Disney not losing net customers, but offering even more high-end products to take advantage of rising incomes.

You are explaining the rationale for their current strategy.
It really does solve a lot of problems for Disney. Higher prices will reduce crowding to (perhaps) manageable and comfortable levels, at least to the extent that it's not people's main complaint. With lower crowd levels, they don't need to invest in park/capacity increases, just maintain what they've got or replace one attraction with another in the same footprint. Increased pricing also raises the profit per guest even as the crowds decrease in size. Correctly done, it's a win-win for Disney and for those who can (or will) still afford to go. It is a clear loss for anyone who feels that they want to go but can no longer afford it.

Upvote 0

Chi84

Premium Member
True, but if one cares about future quality in the parks and resorts then they should be openly encouraging other people to not purchase (and thus reinforce) poor quality product. That is just a logical reaction.
I agree with that also. If someone believes a Disney product or service is of poor quality they can certainly explain why and express their opinion on why others may also find it not worth the cost.

But if others disagree and buy that product knowing full well what is being provided and at what price, they aren’t “ruining” Disney. They are doing what’s best for their own vacation.

When enough people decide that a product or service is not worth it to them, they’ll stop buying it. Value is not something you (in the general sense) can decide for other people no matter how right you think you are about a product’s worth.

Upvote 0

GimpYancIent

You have valid points but Disney is building, pricing etc and more and more will come spend their discretionary income there.
Then of course there will be a large portion of the "more and more" that will go and spend their discretionary income at and on other venues that provide (thanks to Disney's declining product quality) a comparable product / experience and in some cases better! Oh, at a lower price / cost. Disney does not have the exclusivity it once had, and the word is out.

Upvote 0

GimpYancIent

That chart shows the loss of middle income households is being replaced by higher income households. That dynamic would lead to not only Disney not losing net customers, but offering even more high-end products to take advantage of rising incomes.

You are explaining the rationale for their current strategy.
Got it. The question is your term "high-end products". Merely charging more for a product does not = a high-end product. The issue that has been and continues to surface is that the product quality has and is declining making it not worth the price.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

Then of course there will be a large portion of the "more and more" that will go and spend their discretionary income at and on other venues that provide (thanks to Disney's declining product quality) a comparable product / experience and in some cases better! Oh, at a lower price / cost. Disney does not have the exclusivity it once had, and the word is out.
The word is out which you are right about but guests continue to come to the parks in numbers. Pent up demand to go out and spend money, Disney knows that and charges accordingly. But some will always critic Disney doesn't have it anymore and they keep coming....

Upvote 0

GimpYancIent

That's wishful thinking. The several groups that are going to Central FL are going to the parks and resorts with Disney initials and UO and SW is an afterthought.
Eh, depends on who you are listening to at any particular time. I hear a lot of other destinations mentioned then maybe an incidental stop at Disney just to see what's going on.

Upvote 0

yensid1967

JUST A SAMPLE... use as you wish!

The Disney Company
500 S Buena Vista St.
Burbank, California, USA 91521 ________________20___
(Date) (Year)
ATTN: Mr. Bob Iger

Dear Mr. Bob Iger,
I am writing this letter in regard to the recent direction that The Walt Disney Parks Division has taken in regard to the offerings at the Disney parks.

It USE to be a joy to start planning a Disney vacation, saving for years to enjoy a few days in a magical and fantasy land. But the joy has been taken away in recent years with the planning of everything. It has sucked the joy and fun of sitting down with regular, middle-class families and helping them plan their Disney vacations, because that is the only place, they choose to spend their vacation!

But with the direction that the Parks have taken before COVID and how they are handling the return of the extras that were free for each guest is upsetting. When there was a charge for parking your car overnight on property was the beginning and it just hasn't stopped after that. It seems as though the Disney executives are sitting in a board room coming up with news ways to nickel and dime their devoted following just because they know they will return year after year, no matter how high prices get!

But I am saying NO MORE! I am rethinking my travel plans and will not be including Disney as my main stay for my vacation. There has been TOO MUCH shedding of benefits for the average guest to justify spending that we have to just to enjoy even one day, let alone one or more weeks. Walt Disney said he “wanted a place for parents and children to enjoy together!” At these prices, my family cannot afford to visit Disney parks and thus, has pushed us to spend our vacation dollars elsewhere.

I truly hope that this letter inspires you to take a good long look at the reason that Disney parks have existed...because of the average guest who saves years to visit...not just those who can afford it! Which is slowly moving toward the richer class of guest.

I sincerely hope you will take a look at the NEW direction YOU can take the company in since returning in 2022.

Thank You
CHANGE HAS GOT TO START SOMEWHERE!
Start 2022 on the right side and instead of airing your opinions online in forums, DO SOMETHING and start to write these types of letter to Bob Iger(who takes over as CEO in January 2022)

Upvote 0

Chi84

Premium Member
CHANGE HAS GOT TO START SOMEWHERE!
Start 2022 on the right side and instead of airing your opinions online in forums, DO SOMETHING and start to write these types of letter to Bob Iger(who takes over as CEO in January 2022)
I think your heart is in the right place, but letters like the sample you provided are unlikely to get any type of response, especially if sent to Bob Iger.

Upvote 0

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Nope - given GENIE and all other money grabs?
We now go ONCE per year, rather than twice. At about $6K per trip? WDW loses. DVC owners - we just grab a more expensive room... and it seems as though our points are worth some cash, on the open market :). We have options :).

Upvote 0

Greg in TN

The same song and dance doom and gloom prediction , guests will stop going is getting old but some forum members continue to predict this.
I've been on this forum and others for a long time. I had been taking my family to Disney for even longer. I don't post all that frequently, but I read ALL THE TIME. You're right, there have always been people who say Disney is too expensive, and people will stop going because of this or that, too expensive, lack of maintenance, reduction of benefits, etc. In fact, I used to be completely on the other side of that argument. I was one of those who enjoyed the place so much that I would ignore those complaints or naively make excuses for anything Disney did.

But the anger I'm seeing now, and the volume of complaints is an order of magnitude greater than anything I remember from the past. It seems that many of the long-time Disney loyalists are tired of making excuses for the layer upon layer of bad actions. Does that mean the predictions of downfall will come true this time? I don't know that any more than anyone else does. But I do know that I'm not planning to go back.

Upvote 0

Disorbust

But the anger I'm seeing now, and the volume of complaints is an order of magnitude greater than anything I remember from the past. It seems that many of the long-time Disney loyalists are tired of making excuses for the layer upon layer of bad actions. Does that mean the predictions of downfall will come true this time? I don't know that any more than anyone else does. But I do know that I'm not planning to go ba

There may be many of us who feel the same way but I doubt Disney will even feel it, for now. If you look at it from a stone cold tiks nd toks business perspective they are doing it right. The middle class is losing disposable income so they market to the 10%. First timers don't know what their missing and those that are disappointed just won't come back. They want less crowds who pay more.

I do think EVENTUALLY it will bite them. Gen Z and millenials have less exposure to the parks doesn't get the juices flowing to take their future families and then add the lower birth rate.

The no f**ks given attitude to their loss of talent will also have it's impact on future projects and business decisions.

The culture of the company has changed and was changing even before covid and Chapek. We will see how it shakes out, maybe the parks will be sold off but they have always been the cash cow.

Upvote 0

Greg in TN

There may be many of us who feel the same way but I doubt Disney will even feel it, for now. If you look at it from a stone cold tiks nd toks business perspective they are doing it right. The middle class is losing disposable income so they market to the 10%. First timers don't know what their missing and those that are disappointed just won't come back. They want less crowds who pay more.

I do think EVENTUALLY it will bite them. Gen Z and millenials have less exposure to the parks doesn't get the juices flowing to take their future families and then add the lower birth rate.o maybe they feel there will be enough first time, one-and-done visitors to make up for those. We'll see.
Also they'll eventually lose the positive word-of-mouth advertising, and they'll lose the families (like mine) who made multiple, year-after-year return visits. Maybe they feel there will be enough first-time, one-and-done visitors to make up for that. We'll see.

Upvote 0

yensid1967

Perhaps, time will certainly tell whether Disney sees a down turn in customers, at the moment they're not
I personally think that the increased guests at Disney Parks is because of COVID... and the shutdowns and closures. I think people became very wary that if they don't go to the parks they will be gone when they want them. Kind of the old saying, "Ya don't know what ya have until its gone" kinda thing! But even so, I would not go to a place that has cut jobs and entertainment because of COVID and never brought them back yet and then complain about it.
My solution is simple, don't abandon Disney just yet. Every industries have lost a lot of money and now that things are a little better than a year ago, they need to recoup that lost money. I am WAITING to go back to Disney a few years(2026) and hope that things have returned to pre-pandemic levels of Disney magic...
My one beef is that the Magic Kingdom has not had a new daytime parade for years, when there are old parades that can be used at Disney World that guests there have never seen...PAINT THE NIGHT!
Some fixes are not rocket science, just implement what you can with what you got to work with. The guests will appreciate the effort!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom