Is Disney Springs worth driving down a day early?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
drive is about 8-9 hours so enough time to leave at 5-6 and have good evening there

Guys.....

He's talking about spending an evening there. Not a day. Is Disney Springs a good place to spend an evening. That's the real question here. I think the answer to that question is a resounding, yes. I doubt anyone would recommend spending an entire day at DS. But for a night, a dinner, a nice stroll, a drink at Raglan Road and see some Dancing and Singing. It's a great place for a night out.

winstongator

I don't think it's worth extra money to spend a day there. They have some larger Disney shopping buildings but generally speaking there is nothing at Springs that we don't have at home or that we cannot see elsewhere. The extra shops they added on are no different than what we have at home. It's good for a few hours, but not a day and definitely not worth that much extra money to see.
An extra night at a hotel+meals is a stretch for DS. However, I'd consider the options. One is drive from 8am-4pm, have an evening at DS, then early start to Sunday. Two is drive from midnight-8am, park at parks, rope-drop, then check into hotel after a park day. My immediate family is not a night-drive family, so two is out. Three might be wake up early, leave 6am, get to parks at 2pm. I've done a lot of long drives, & a lot of long days at the parks, but I'm not sure I'd be up for 6-8 hrs at the parks after an 8hr drive. What I'm in the mood for after a drive is a nap! I see the extra night as adding to my enjoyment of Sunday at the parks. Dinner for 5 at D-luxe you could get into the $50-$75 ballpark. My option to make numbers even out is to make the whole stay at a DS area hotel - I don't like transferring either.

TLDR: $200 for just DS, not worth it. To make Sunday better, and/or moving to DS are the whole time, probably.

correcaminos

An extra night at a hotel+meals is a stretch for DS. However, I'd consider the options. One is drive from 8am-4pm, have an evening at DS, then early start to Sunday. Two is drive from midnight-8am, park at parks, rope-drop, then check into hotel after a park day. My immediate family is not a night-drive family, so two is out. Three might be wake up early, leave 6am, get to parks at 2pm. I've done a lot of long drives, & a lot of long days at the parks, but I'm not sure I'd be up for 6-8 hrs at the parks after an 8hr drive. What I'm in the mood for after a drive is a nap! I see the extra night as adding to my enjoyment of Sunday at the parks. Dinner for 5 at D-luxe you could get into the $50-$75 ballpark. My option to make numbers even out is to make the whole stay at a DS area hotel - I don't like transferring either.

TLDR: $200 for just DS, not worth it. To make Sunday better, and/or moving to DS are the whole time, probably.
I agree. to have an early start I would say it is worth it. To make a day of it at DS? Nope.

clarabellej

Haven't been to Disney Springs since they began reimagining it from Downtown Disney. We are planning on starting our onsite stay on Sunday in late may. Had originally planned on driving down Sunday leaving very, very, early in AM. Is DS worth driving down day early on Sat. and spending extra night in off site motel? We like the idea of feeling fresh on Sunday to start our trip to WDW (have done it like that numerous times) but not sure if worth $250-350 more by the time we pay for hotel and meals on Sat.
any info appreciated.
Thanks
mikewdw
No, it’s not. Mostly shopping and dining. There is some merchandise that you will only find there, but much of it is in the parks. Food not that great at the restaurants and overpriced. IMHO. Two pieces of fried chicken , mashed potatoes and hush puppies around $25 at Homecomin’ for example.

gmk3855

Do you have kids? They do have a big Disney toy store there and another merchandise store, along with a Lego store. A big Disney Christmas store is also there. Some of the other stores are not bad either while some are a little pricey. My family enjoys going there to shop and to eat at least one day while in Disney. It is not everyone's cup of tea so to speak. If you do this then I would recommend going.

Bpmorley

Haven't been to Disney Springs since they began reimagining it from Downtown Disney. We are planning on starting our onsite stay on Sunday in late may. Had originally planned on driving down Sunday leaving very, very, early in AM. Is DS worth driving down day early on Sat. and spending extra night in off site motel? We like the idea of feeling fresh on Sunday to start our trip to WDW (have done it like that numerous times) but not sure if worth $250-350 more by the time we pay for hotel and meals on Sat.
any info appreciated.
Thanks
mikewdw
Personally I don't think it's worth it. It's just a mall anymore.

jbguitar62

No, it’s not. Mostly shopping and dining. There is some merchandise that you will only find there, but much of it is in the parks. Food not that great at the restaurants and overpriced. IMHO. Two pieces of fried chicken , mashed potatoes and hush puppies around $25 at Homecomin’ for example.
Almost every dish at every restaurant is shareable if cost is an issue. Wife and I split the fried chicken salad there and they brought us 2 almost of not exactly full size salads for one price. Fried chicken is much better than any fast food chicken I have ever had but to each his own.

jbguitar62

Disney Springs is a disappointment to me. It's like a high end mall with a few cool restaurants. Thumbs down.

If you want to go to the restaurants, fine, but don't go for the shopping. You can find the same stuff in any big city.
There is a lot of free entertainment on various nights and some people actually like it. Lots of opinions here. I think anyone who has not been should at least give it a look to judge for themselves.

joejccva71

I like it on a rest day where you're not doing any parks. On my 9 day trip at the midway point, we take a day to sleep in, have a late breakfast at Cape May Cafe, then do Stormalong Bay for the afternoon, grab ice cream at Beaches and Cream, then at night we go to Disney Springs, walk around, grab dinner at The Boathouse or Morimoto Asia, then go see a movie at the AMC theatre there. Maybe after the movie we grab a few cocktails since they're open until Midnight.

Not a bad day.

jbguitar62

priced most of DS resorts and one night that weekend is going to be 150-200 then two meals for 5 people (2 adults, 3 teens) would be about another 50-100. I would love to find a cheap clean (CLEAN) hotel for a good deal but its holiday weekend so that probably wont happen. any good hotel recomendations? the restful night is best selling point for us but knew someone here could tell me if DS had some must do attractions or stores.
thanks and keep info coming
mikewdw
If you look further from the parks you can find name brand and relatively inexpensive lodging, and CLEAN. Cheap close to the parks mostly equals run down.

Dutch Inn '76

There is a lot of free entertainment on various nights and some people actually like it. Lots of opinions here. I think anyone who has not been should at least give it a look to judge for themselves.

Absolutely. ...but the OP is asking if it was worth an extra day, hotel, etc. I say unequivocally no.

jbguitar62

Absolutely. ...but the OP is asking if it was worth an extra day, hotel, etc. I say unequivocally no.
Based on the OP having to drive in, it would not be a day there, just an evening most likely, judging on what they said. I always want to start my vacation early, so it is always worth it to me! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom