Is disney parks and resorts for sale?

bstiles

Original Poster
The board of directors along with Iger, Staggs, and a Saudi prince have been at the boardwalk resort most of this past week. This has been confirmed by another poster on another site. Doesn't seem like Iger walking though AK was all that great after all.

Lee

Adventurer
The board of directors along with Iger, Staggs, and a Saudi prince have been at the boardwalk resort most of this past week. This has been confirmed by another poster on another site. Doesn't seem like Iger walking though AK was all that great after all.

Interesting, no?
Like I said in the other thread, we don't have all the facts yet.
But...it is getting very interesting.

bstiles

Original Poster
Lee what are your thoughts on this so far? I feel if its the right buyer things around the disney parks could be better.

Lee

Adventurer
Depends.
It would have to be a similar situation to Tokyo, where OLC is held to a VERY high standard of operations and performance and where Disney has creative control.

Also very important that any new owner is not hesitant about spending money on quality. OLC, again, does it right. But a new owner who just wants to milk the resorts for money...very large potential for suck.

Done the right way...it could be a very good thing.

MerlinTheGoat

I'm not sure how to feel about this besides a good deal of worry. The unknown is the worst part here. Personally, i find it hard to believe that the Disney corporation would consider putting up an entire US-based theme park for sale regardless. I'll be very surprised if they do that. Weren't the WDW parks extremely popular and great for profits for Disney? Why would they consider selling them? Or did i miss something? I just cannot see this happening, at the very least for what could easily be considered their most popular and profitable park. Especially as it's in the US and not international.

Gonna have to side with Steve here. If this happens, color me the most astonished goat wizard you'll ever see.:lookaroun

I do think this major meeting of important people does mean something though (i'd have to figure this much is clear). I just can't see them selling the parks out to someone else. Maybe new attractions, new business plans, etc? Dunno.

bstiles

Original Poster
Don't you think its a little strange that it was so secretive? Why wouldn't disney want to promote their CEO being out and about in the parks.

MerlinTheGoat

Don't you think its a little strange that it was so secretive? Why wouldn't disney want to promote their CEO being out and about in the parks.

More like why would he want to be bothered with thousands of random people (there's no telling what sorts of crazy stuff people would do to the CEO of Disney if they saw him). Business plans and talks are often secret, that's no cause for alarm in itself by any means.

Lee

Adventurer
I really don't see the domestic parks being sold. Not a chance in my opinion.

Yeah, I said earlier in the week that I found it very unlikely to ever happen. We (likely nobody) don't know what this meeting was all about.

But, knowing that the sale of the domestic parks has been discusses internally in Burbank...and knowing the existing relationship with the Prince...and how the whole thing was going down in secret...

All that does leave room for some very interesting speculation. It's fun, if nothing else.:lol:

SeaCastle

Depends.
It would have to be a similar situation to Tokyo, where OLC is held to a VERY high standard of operations and performance and where Disney has creative control.

Also very important that any new owner is not hesitant about spending money on quality. OLC, again, does it right. But a new owner who just wants to milk the resorts for money...very large potential for suck.

Done the right way...it could be a very good thing.

There is a contractual stipulation in the OLC agreement that penalizes the company if maintenance standards aren't kept. Unless the same sort of agreement is made IF the parks are sold, it's likely we'll see a lot of the same old same old. However, I hold out some hope that this may not be the case.

VMKingdom

Considering the profitability in the parks, the tie-ins to movies that Disney can exploit/manage and the dependence of the parks on Disney movie properties, I would label the chances of an outright sell of the parks as none, and close to none. This isn't the Ron Miller days when Disney is ripe for a hostile takeover and being sold into parts.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Yeah, I said earlier in the week that I found it very unlikely to ever happen. We (likely nobody) don't know what this meeting was all about.

But, knowing that the sale of the domestic parks has been discusses internally in Burbank...and knowing the existing relationship with the Prince...and how the whole thing was going down in secret...

All that does leave room for some very interesting speculation. It's fun, if nothing else.:lol:

I just had a few spare minutes to read that thread over at Laughing Place. That is hilarious. Talk about jumping to wild crazy conclusions. The basis of the whole things appears to be a crazy conspiracy back-theory, some twitter postings, that have no way to be validated. A sighting by a Boardwalk concierge, and then a whole lot of wild assumptions. Having read the source of it, I'm even more certain it is total fiction. At least the original poster got a lot of attention that he so desperately craves.

wizards8507

I just had a few spare minutes to read that thread over at Laughing Place. That is hilarious. Talk about jumping to wild crazy conclusions. The basis of the whole things appears to be a crazy conspiracy back-theory, some twitter postings, that have no way to be validated. A sighting by a Boardwalk concierge, and then a whole lot of wild assumptions. Having read the source of it, I'm even more certain it is total fiction. At least the original poster got a lot of attention that he so desperately craves.

So wait... is NONE of this true?

Lee

Adventurer

I haven't sat and read it, but I'm about to.
I know nothing about a concierge or Twitter postings, I'm getting some info from an entirely different source.

Good way to occupy a Saturday morning....:lol:

So wait... is NONE of this true?
The basic facts appear to be true.
What it means or is all about is still very much open to speculation. May come to nothing.

wizards8507

The basic facts appear to be true.
What it means or is all about is still very much open to speculation. May come to nothing.

Gotcha. Though I can't imagine it would turn out to be "nothing." Might be "nothing interesting" but I gotta believe there's something going on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom