Is 2022 planning possible?

SteveUK

Long-time member, not posted for a while. But when I needed to ask some unanswerable questions and wanted some informed speculation, there was only one place to go!

I've been trying to plan a trip from the UK for a while (to be first for 12yr old, and 6yr old), and I think we would all agree this year isn't really an option. I considered 2021, but dismissed it for 2 reasons. Firstly, it's too soon and the covid issue still lingers, meaning many people who wanted to go this year may attend if all is well in 2021. Secondly, the anniversary means horrific crowds.

So, my thoughts turn to 2022. I know these questions may not be answerable with any certainty, but I appreciate the experienced views of the members here. So here goes;

1. When will I be able to make hotel reservations for Feb 2022?

2. In normal times, this would be a quiet time. Do you think that logic still applies?

3. Is there any prospect of dining plans returning? (free or otherwise)

4 (feel free to ignore if too deep) - Do I pay for the first trip for the family and stay at a value for the experience for the kids, or buy into DVC and use the points to book a value? (I think the theming etc is important for kids on first trip)

Feel free to answer any, or all of these questions. I totally understand some are not fixed yet, I'm just looking for a bit of discussion from an experienced and well informed group.

Thanks all;

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
First I have to admit my answers may not apply to UK residents.

1. Normally you can book a room 499 days out by phone. Currently Disney is not taking resort reservations past September 2021.

2. Why do you think February is a slower time? In the US the weekend prior to President's Day Monday and through that next weekend is generally a popular time to go as many schools have a break.
So exact dates would make a difference.

3. There's no reason to believe that Disney will not bring back the dining plan. Its a popular add on.

4. You have to do research on DVC to see if its worth it to you.
I don't think you can even use points to stay in a value resort so if that's your plan then you'd better think twice about buying into DVC.

Upvote 0

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Indeed plenty of speculation.

Until full capacity returns to the parks I would not count on park hopping, dining plans, parades, or fireworks as currently not everything is open or operating at full capacity.

Now for DVC it is quite deep. DVC properties are not highly themed value resorts. Aside from the purchase price per point, there are also the yearly dues per point which cover the ongoing maintenance for the resort you contract for (home resort).

Look around here and in the internet and see which resort would inspire your children... Many different themes, some which may resonate better than others.

Upvote 0

yensid67

SteveUK...
I am in the same boat with planning. I have a trip PLANNED for September 2022, but even that date is up in the air with everything with this virus! Planning right now, even for the seasoned planner, is hard.. Things change from day to day with more layoffs coming in the next few months.

MY OPINION: I would POSTPONE YOUR TRAVEL PLANS until things are back to a norm at Disney. Right now there are NO FIREWORKS and NO PARADES, Characters are seen from a distance in the grass areas WITH NO CONTACT...so NO CHARACTER MEET AND GREETS! I have always planned with the notion that just going is the important part, but I will not pay for HALF THE EXPERIENCE. So I hope this helps you and gives you something to think about.

Stay safe, my friend!

Upvote 0

Shouldigo12

In my opinion, any answer to 1 and 2 is going to be pure speculation. As for 3, the dining plan is more likely to come back in 2022 than 2021 (again, my opinion, and not saying it definitely won't be back by 2021). It was a fairly popular option and one of the many things that helped keep people in the Disney bubble for trips, so it would they likely want to bring it back as soon as it makes sense to do so. As for 4, you can read up on pros and cons of DVC but what you should do is a matter of opinion and only you can decide that. Keep on mind though that, usually, renting points is an option if you want the DVC experience without the contract. And I only say usually because I haven't looked at the latest news for WDW in awhile so I'm not sure if any changes have been made in regards to points, availability, and how willing people are to rent them out.

Upvote 0

Shouldigo12

SteveUK...
I am in the same boat with planning. I have a trip PLANNED for September 2022, but even that date is up in the air with everything with this virus! Planning right now, even for the seasoned planner, is hard.. Things change from day to day with more layoffs coming in the next few months.

MY OPINION: I would POSTPONE YOUR TRAVEL PLANS until things are back to a norm at Disney. Right now there are NO FIREWORKS and NO PARADES, Characters are seen from a distance in the grass areas WITH NO CONTACT...so NO CHARACTER MEET AND GREETS! I have always planned with the notion that just going is the important part, but I will not pay for HALF THE EXPERIENCE. So I hope this helps you and gives you something to think about.

Stay safe, my friend!
Their trip is in 2022. That's a little premature to decide it needs to be postponed.

Upvote 0

Schweino

Not tailed for UK specific:

1. When will I be able to make hotel reservations for Feb 2022? - Probably sometime next year.

2. In normal times, this would be a quiet time. Do you think that logic still applies? - This isn't entirely accurate. Most crowd calendars say after 2-7 it gets busy. So my answer is you should go late January going into February.

3. Is there any prospect of dining plans returning? Yes. When you can add it to your trip however no one knows.

4 (feel free to ignore if too deep) - Do I pay for the first trip for the family and stay at a value for the experience for the kids, or buy into DVC and use the points to book a value? Since you are in UK, that airfare probably is not the cheapest. If you plan to go to WDW every 2 years, for 30 years, it's probably worth it. However, IMO, I think that is too much Disney and I'd rather spend money going to other places (being an American, Id love to travel more around the world).

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom