Irvine finds new Great Park location for bigger Wild Rivers water park - OCR/SCNG

NobodyElse

Job Fair next weekend.

They're shooting for "OFFICIALLY OPENING SUMMER 2022!!!" Now, feel free to play the "what is summer?" game.

SoCalDisneyLover

My guess is they open with what they have, sometime in June. Probably the real reason they limited ticket sales, since only a few attractions will be available.

Phroobar

Memorial Day Weekend is 9 weeks away. ZERO chance they open by then. So they still have lots of work just to have everything built, then they have to test and train the lifeguards and staff. Roughly 100 days until 4th of July. Is that even possible?
Maybe they need to get more than five guys from the Home Depot parking lot?

J4546

i dont know anything about water laws or usage or the cost of running a waterpark vs a non water park, but youd think in the LA/OC area, there would be a really stellar water park. Something like Volcano Bay. I wish Knotts would not do a hypercoaster (according to rumors) but redo their waerpark area

Phroobar

i dont know anything about water laws or usage or the cost of running a waterpark vs a non water park, but youd think in the LA/OC area, there would be a really stellar water park. Something like Volcano Bay. I wish Knotts would not do a hypercoaster (according to rumors) but redo their waerpark area
Who needs a stellar water park when we have the California's beaches.

CaptinEO

In LA and OC they are regulating everyone's water use, but if you're a themepark it doesn't matter. No rules apply to giant companies.

NobodyElse

In LA and OC they are regulating everyone's water use, but if you're a themepark it doesn't matter. No rules apply to giant companies.
Relevant:
https://www.ocregister.com/2022/06/...-some-wonder-is-it-wise-to-open-a-water-park/

David Feldman, a professor at UCI who studies water resource management and policy, agreed the optics of soaked water slides against a parched landscape are “definitely not good,” but putting into context the use at a typical water park compared to other recreational activities paints perhaps a less dramatic picture.

The initial filling up of an average water park takes about 900,000 gallons, Feldman said, and every month, about 2% of that will be replaced due to water loss from evaporation, splashing or backwashing (the process of cleaning water filters).

“That’s a lot of water,” he mused. Yet, by comparison, operating a golf course – of which Southern California has many – uses “considerably more,” he noted, “about 300,000 to 500,000 gallons a day.”

“And yet one could say fewer people play golf than use a waterpark,” Feldman said. “So if you’re looking at frivolous water uses from the standpoint of recreation, neither of them are great, but let’s at least put it in some relative context.”

On a given day at a water park in the summer, as many as 6,000 to 7,000 visitors will visit to cool off, he added, “which means 6,000 to 7,000 people not at home using water in various ways.”

“Does it offset? I don’t know,” he said. But far fewer golf courses attract that many people, he added. “So by comparison, there may be an offset factor.”

J4546

this waterpark looks boring imo. at least in the oc register article pic. Why doesnt SOCal have a really nice waterpark?

NobodyElse

this waterpark looks boring imo. at least in the oc register article pic. Why doesnt SOCal have a really nice waterpark?
We should really wait until it's complete, but do you think it looks more boring that Knott's Soak City?

PS: I imagine if they could have built "a really nice waterpark" for the same investment, they might/would have.

NobodyElse

New soft-opening date: July 10.

A soft opening is a technical rehearsal of the waterpark and the available rides and attractions. While we plan to operate as many slides and attractions as possible, attraction availability may change without notice and vary by the day and hour.

Our admission pricing has been reduced for the soft opening, since the entire waterpark may not be open.

What will be open for our soft opening?
Attraction availability may vary, but for our opening we expect to operate the following:
• Shaka Bay Wavepool
• Castaway River
• Aquaconda & Bora Bora Boomerango
• Fiji Falls, Pipeline, Samoan Serpant & Tiki’s Revenge
• Bombay Blasters & Tahitian Toucan
• Tala & Mano
• Tomcat Racers
• Cook’s Cove

What will not be operating for our soft opening?
• Tortuga & Typhoon
• Pelican’s Plunge
• Kontiki Cove

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom