iphone 4 as trip camera

Javier Boughton

Hello everyone
I'm leaving this friday to WDW. Have my flip ready and thinking what camera to take. I have a kodak 1012z camera that is almost as big as a DSLR camera.

But I just got my wife an iphone 4. With its 5 megapixel camera, slim factor, 16 GB of space, it starting to look like it could replace my bigger camera

Has anyone done a WDW trip exclusively with an iphone 4 as the only camera?

Thanks

bladerunner

I haven't used my iPhone4 at WDW yet - I'll be there next week, however I did use my iPhone4 extensively at a park the other day for about 3-4 hours and while the pictures are great I did notice the battery drop to almost red. Unless you have a portable charger or if you are at a park for a few hours between charges it may not be a great idea.

Upvote 0

ShazzyBoo

My boyfriend and I were actually discussing the same thing last night. I was saying I would love to travel light next year in the parks, leaving the dslr behind and taking our small digital camera (mainly so we wouldn't have to wait for bag checks and also not feel like a pack horse).

He suggested leaving the point n shoot camera behind and just taking our iPhone 4s instead. I was pretty reluctant as although I think it's a good camera I wasn't sure it would live up to the challenge. But those pics Steve posted might have changed my mind!

Also, we've now got hdr capabilities with the latest update. I've played around with it a little bit and it does help out quite a bit with less than perfect light situations. Not sure how much extra battery gets used for the hdr pictures though.

Upvote 0

devoy1701

it's just my opinion...but no phone camera is a replacement for a camera. I don't care how many megapixels the phone has or what number iPhone you have.

Maybe if you're just flashing some quick pictures its one thing....but if you're looking to get a wide variety of candid, portrait, and scenary shots, along with a mixture of onride, daytime, evening, firework, and what have you, I ALWAYS bring my camera, my regular tripod, and my mini-tripod...cuz you never know...

Upvote 0

JustInTime

it's just my opinion...but no phone camera is a replacement for a camera. I don't care how many megapixels the phone has or what number iPhone you have.

Maybe if you're just flashing some quick pictures its one thing....but if you're looking to get a wide variety of candid, portrait, and scenary shots, along with a mixture of onride, daytime, evening, firework, and what have you, I ALWAYS bring my camera, my regular tripod, and my mini-tripod...cuz you never know...

I agree. You need a real camera for wdw.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I'll be doing a trip report shortly using only photos taken with iPhone4s. I don't think they're great, but they're not bad. I am interested in trying again next trip using the HDR setting, which appears to be much better quality pictures.

A DSLR is great it you're going to be printing anything other than 4x6 pics, but for what I use pictures for, on-line posting and an occasional print, it's perfectly fine to use the iPhone. I didn't take many shots, but I'm happy with most that I took.

Upvote 0

Javier Boughton

Original Poster
the thing is to travel light ...and to be able to fit everything in the pockets of my shorts..

but i guess that ill be taking the "big" camera anyway. i will test with the iphone the first day and see how it goes

Upvote 0

b94ronman

I have the iphone 3GS and found that it worked perfect for everything I needed.....including video. I carried my regular camera the first day and never took it back again.....I was surprised that even the night shots came out clear. If I plan on taking any special night shots I'll probably take my regular camera that day.....but other than that, my iphone will take all my photos!

Upvote 0

Phonedave

I'll be doing a trip report shortly using only photos taken with iPhone4s. I don't think they're great, but they're not bad. I am interested in trying again next trip using the HDR setting, which appears to be much better quality pictures.

A DSLR is great it you're going to be printing anything other than 4x6 pics, but for what I use pictures for, on-line posting and an occasional print, it's perfectly fine to use the iPhone. I didn't take many shots, but I'm happy with most that I took.

It is a trade off.

I don't carry a DSLR because of weight/size. But then I don't use a phone camera because I want better pictures, so I have a pretty decent Point and Shoot.

If, as you said, you are just going to do some web posting and maybe a 4x6 print then a camera phone should be good.

I like to put my pictures / video into a presentation (movie) and burn them to DVD. Phone pictures / movies look quite bad on a 50"+ screen.

If I ever get a Blu Ray burner, and start burning HD movies of my pictures, then I most likely will have to move to a better source format. (and buy a new hard drive)

-dave

Upvote 0

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Most of the photos I posted this past summer were actually shot with a 3Gs IPhone. They're not bad, but not photog quality either. Still, not having to carry a camera and case around everywhere (and got through umpteen baggage checks) was a fair trade-off for me.

Upvote 0

devoy1701

I have the iphone 3GS and found that it worked perfect for everything I needed.....including video. I carried my regular camera the first day and never took it back again.....I was surprised that even the night shots came out clear. If I plan on taking any special night shots I'll probably take my regular camera that day.....but other than that, my iphone will take all my photos!

as Dave said, if you just post pictures online or keep them on the computer...a phone camera will do you good. But if you're planning to take a bunch of different pics, make some 5x7 or 8x10s, or get some creative unique perspective shots...there's no way you can do that with a phone camera.

I would never just rely on my iPhone/Blackberry/Android for my trip pictures. But then again I would not consider myself a simple "point-and-shoot" photographer either. But that's just me.

Upvote 0

majortom1981

Hmm

I think the big camera and thr iphone 4 is good. Make sure you have the latest firmware. The hdr feature can help with bright outside pics. In my experience the iphone 4 can be a great point and shoot substitute. Can post directly to wordpress or facebook.

Can also take 720p video. Do what i do keep the dslr in the safe in the morning and bring it at night after you have ridden the rides that you want

Upvote 0

PirateFrank

I spent the last week of august in wdw....we took down the following gear:

2 iPhone 4's
Digital SLR camera
Flip
Cannon powershot

While a few of the days my wife elected to carry and use the big SLR....we predominantly used our iPhones for 95% of our imagry.

The flip stayed in the room, since it's video camera is no better than the iphone's. The powershot also stayed in the room, since the iPhone's camera is nearly as good.

During previous trips, I used to walk WDW around looking like batman....with a 3-4 different pieces of electronics hanging from my belt. Seriously.... I had my old blackberry storm ( which had an awful camera), my powershot, the flip, etc

This past trip, it was a dream.... Just the iPhone 4. That's it! It took video that was just as good as the flip's and I didn't miss the powershot at all.

And I have an entire album of pictures and video to prove it.

Save yourself the trouble, weight and risk of bringing down all that gear...

The iPhone 4 is all you need

Upvote 0

Javier Boughton

Original Poster
This past trip, it was a dream.... Just the iPhone 4. That's it! It took video that was just as good as the flip's and I didn't miss the powershot at all.

And I have an entire album of pictures and video to prove it.

Save yourself the trouble, weight and risk of bringing down all that gear...

The iPhone 4 is all you need

thats what i was looking for...thanks

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom