IOA (Lack of) Dark Rides

NiCKEY NoUSE

Original Poster
What's up w/ all the thrills and no relaxing classic-type dark rides? It's great to have Spiderman and others but once in a while I'd like to jump on a dark ride and relax. THe only one here I can think of is DR. Seuss which is pretty nifty in itself. Any thoughts?

Tron

Well, when designing the park they pushed for a "thrill" park as opposed to one concentrated on dark rides. Sure, I'd rather see a variety of rides than just all thrill rides...but I guess I'm not their target customer.

DigitalDisney

Plenty of parks only have one or two dark rides if that. Disney parks are the only ones that have plenty of dark rides.

IOA has Cat In The Hat, and maybe Spiderman (which is a thrill ride, but it has dark-ride elements in it).

Generally, parks are moving away from the low-thrill dark-rides. They're relatively expensive, and most of them only cater to a small audience.

woofboy111

I think more will be coming to IoA. I could see another dark ride coming to toon lagoon. They need some more rides in that section, and a dark ride would probably be the best thing. I could also see another dark ride coming to the lost continent. I would love a haunted dark ride.

jcmayid

We absolutely LOVE IOA... it is an awesome park!!! Spiderman is incredible!!! The Hulk is exhilerating! And Cat in the Hat is real cool. Toon Lagoon could use another ride...sure! I never thought of it before though. And I like the idea of the Lost Continent.

IOA ROCKS!!!

Luau Cove

I think that with Dark Rides he meant rides that resemble Pirates of the Caribbean or another quiet indoors attraction...
I think IoA is explicitly not the usual variety park, it includes a land for kids, but the rest are thrill rides. The exact opposite and the type of attractions you are looking are in Universal Studios.

-->LUAU

Last time I checked IOA stood fot ISLANDS OF ADVENTURE. How adventureos is a slow dark ride???? kinda boring but if thats what you want go to the old park

woofboy111

But if someone only goes to IOA, it would be nice for them to go on a few dark rides too. I wouldn't consider dark rides boring either...Spidermans a dark ride...is that boring? MIB's a dark ride...and so is tower of terror. The only dark rides that I would really consider boring are the really old ones at the magic kindom like snow white and peter pan (haunted mansion doesn't count).

njchris65

I think the spinning of cat in the hat is a bit much to be classified as a relaxing dark ride. :)

The Lost continent would be a great place for one. Maybe change Poseiden(sp?) to one instead of walking. :)

Sketch105

I like Spiderman, but I love Cat-in-the-Hat. Old fashioned dark ride stuff with some fun little thrills. I'm all for Mr. Toad style dark rides where your car slams through buildings and walls and terrorizes the cast of characters. Very few dark rides give you that sense of control, even though you don't have any.

I like MIB as a laser game, and I like Spiderman as a 3D ride. But I enjoy the old tangibility of having audio animatronics acting in front of you. Even Mr. Toad style wher characters swung out of the way like doors. Technology has grown considerably since those days..

Dudley Do-Right is that kind of dark ride, even if its cast is a bunch of MINIMAL-tronics..I like that style ride.

JROK

Even though the new Seuss Trolley ride isn't "in the dark" it's still a slow moving, sit in a car ride, with animatronics... I saw the cars today backstage and they look just like the ones in the promo drawings... so there's your relaxing ride for Islands of ADVENTURE...

DarkMeasures

Well many parks now are moving towards more "soft" attractions. That is that instead of building many huge thrill rides, they are now building new shows and dark rides. Six Flags is in the lead with that movement and Universal has done some too. It is just that Disney is moving in the opposite direction because of all the recent "soft" attractions.

So, unlike what a previous poster said, the only company currently who is wanting to expand on thrills is Disney.

PencilTest

JROK said:
Even though the new Seuss Trolley ride isn't "in the dark" it's still a slow moving, sit in a car ride, with animatronics... I saw the cars today backstage and they look just like the ones in the promo drawings... so there's your relaxing ride for Islands of ADVENTURE...
Gah!
Man, you beat me to the punch! Here I am, readin' all these posts thinking "I'll just chime in with the Suess Trolley", and ya snuck it in before me! Dag nabbit!
Oh well.
Hey, where are the cars anyway? I was backstage yesterday and I didn't see 'em.

JROK

PencilTest said:
Gah!
Man, you beat me to the punch! Here I am, readin' all these posts thinking "I'll just chime in with the Suess Trolley", and ya snuck it in before me! Dag nabbit!
Oh well.
Hey, where are the cars anyway? I was backstage yesterday and I didn't see 'em.

:p They're right behind Seuss Trolley, between IOAsis and Poseidon... Under the carport area that normally holds Grinchmas stuff... where that dock area is... They're wrapped in green packing but it's clear so you can still see them...

JROK

Figment1986 said:
wait.. thats got to be the second train of cars.. lol since one train is already on the track moving a little every day....

Well there were about 8 cars in total back there... so that's 4 trains? I'll be back again on Thursday... I'll take another look...

sy278

njchris65 said:
The Lost continent would be a great place for one. Maybe change Poseiden(sp?) to one instead of walking. :)

Better yet change posiedon back to its original format - the new one sucks by comparison

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom