Introverts on a Cruise?

jloucks

My husband and I are both pretty introverted. We have never cruised before because the thought of having to eat dinner with strangers isnt something we would enjoy whatsoever. Dont get me wrong, we arent complete weirdos. We just would rather do our own thing and not be bothered by small talk and hordes of people.

But being the WDW fanatic that I am, I would love to see Castaway Cay.

Any other introverts on here? What are your thoughts on cruises?

(Backstory, we are meyer briggs INTJ and INTF :))

I have the same issue. I have found that talking to your spouse a little louder than normal, and sorta aiming the question at others as well, works pretty good. So, basically, pretend you have 3-5 spouses.

"What did you think of that *blaw blaw whater*?"

*Everybody discuses*

"That show was awesome, but how did they *weird thing*"

*Everybody discusses*

And here is the rub, once you open-end question people, they do all the talking. You get 3+ answers to a question you are genuinely curious about, and only have to do 1/3 the talking.

It gets a little weird when you have 4-6 introverts sitting together, but that is fairly rare.

...or you could just request your own table. That works too.

Nubs70

My husband is the INFJ, while Im the INTJ... he's nicer than me LOL

Haha. I totally get where you're coming from. I am sure I come across as the biggest snob at times, but it's just socializing in large groups and small talk is a drain on me. It's not that I don't like socializing/going out, I prefer it in small groups. Also, when I am done, I am done.[/QUOTE]
INTJ here but after a few cocktails.I flip to ENTJ. If left unchecked, I end up being the one wearing the lampshade.

EOD K9

I have the same issue. I have found that talking to your spouse a little louder than normal, and sorta aiming the question at others as well, works pretty good. So, basically, pretend you have 3-5 spouses.

"What did you think of that *blaw blaw whater*?"

*Everybody discuses*

"That show was awesome, but how did they *weird thing*"

*Everybody discusses*

And here is the rub, once you open-end question people, they do all the talking. You get 3+ answers to a question you are genuinely curious about, and only have to do 1/3 the talking.

It gets a little weird when you have 4-6 introverts sitting together, but that is fairly rare.

...or you could just request your own table. That works too.
image.jpeg

MagicalMaci

In the Parks
Yes
I'm a major introvert and honestly I get a lot of anxiety on the first night of a cruise wondering who the dinner-mates might be. Having sailed several cruise lines, Disney has by far done the best job at pairing us with people similar that it's easy to find something to talk about. Just got off the Magic with my mom and our table mates were two other mother daughter pairs around our ages! It was great :) Sailed on one with a (now ex) boyfriend and our table was a bunch of other couples who had also previously worked for Disney. It's easy to find something in common, but if you don't you can request to be switched OR just have dinner at the other options on any given night when you might need a break! Also you can always ask about the ports, the shows, onboard activities etc because you all have the CRUISE in common!

cursivesailor

Original Poster
Yeah, the more I think about it - I don't think a cruise is going to work for us. Talking to new people is like going to the dentist for my husband.

EOD K9

Yeah, the more I think about it - I don't think a cruise is going to work for us. Talking to new people is like going to the dentist for my husband.
As other posters have stated, you can eat at Cabana's or request your own table. I wouldn't want to miss a cruise due to dining arrangements. But of course, you are well within your rights to choose to back out.

Sans Souci

Aww, I am sorry to hear that. As I have said in this thread, I am a total introvert and I was always put off by cruises because of what I'd heard about MDR arrangements. Then I took the plunge and requested we not be seated with others. We haven't been so far. But I do understand where he is coming, I really do.

mmnw

How do cruise lines match you up/know your likes or dislikes in order to match you up with other like diners? I've only gone with a large group so we were placed with each other.

ChuckElias

How do cruise lines match you up/know your likes or dislikes in order to match you up with other like diners? I've only gone with a large group so we were placed with each other.
Likes/dislikes have nothing to do with it. They're simply trying to fill tables efficiently. So if you have a party of two, they're just looking for another party of two to fill a 4-top table.

mmnw

That's what I thought. There is only so much time for that sort of thing. I thought I read a response about how they do a good job at matching you up. Perhaps I'm thinking of another thread. Thank you.

cjkeating

First time cruise on the Magic this summer in the Mediterranean. As others have said we were matched up with three 'similar' couples on a table of 8. We all got on and had an amazing trip... two of our table-mates even stayed over at ours when they visited London after the cruise!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom