International Tour Group season about to begin

WDWVolFan

I understand why we see so many in January and February...that is their summer break. Why do we see so many June through August? Also, I've seen it mentioned on other threads that September/October is bad, but I've never experienced them at that time of the year.
June/July is Winter Break in Brazil and a lot of these kids get a trip to Disney as their 15th birthday present.

WDWVolFan

OK after reading this whole thing let me start by saying that I'm Brazilian...and like I said above, I was 15 and went to Disney in July as my 15th birthday present.
It's a common gift...either girls want to have a 15th birthday party (similar to a Sweet 16) or they get a Disney trip. Boys usually choose Disney or another trip.
Culturally, Brazilians are a lot more in your face and touchy than Americans. A person's bubble doesn't exist, it's in your face for real.
When I went, I never experienced leaders telling us to cut lines, we were actually told not to but it doesn't surprise me.
Brazilians are direct, we speak our minds which is a good thing and a bad thing.
At Disney, a lot of these kids are away from home for the first time and the leaders take them to the main attractions at first and then the leaders go chill out and these kids are loose in the park...that's when it bad things happen.
You also experience horrible shopping experiences and that's because the leaders are paid a commission over the total sale their group generates. The questions I heard at check out were, cash or credit? Who's your tour guide?
As for the singing, I'm not sure about American cheer groups but Brazilian groups are asked by the leaders and by the filming crew (each trip comes with a video of the trip) to sing and show oneness as a group...it's totally instigated at first and then it becomes the norm as the trip goes on.
I'm proud of being Brazilian but even when I travel to Brazil, thanks to my barely noticeable accent, I pretend I'm not Brazilian and speak English to the attendants because I'm treated a lot better.
It's sad...
In Summary: I would avoid Disney in July...because that's exactly what happens...kids are let loose at the hotels, leaders don't control them very well and there's not much they can do...parents pay a ton of money to make this happen and the travel companies just let it happen.

I tell my wife, our next trips will be late May or early June, around Thanksgiving, or the Holidays that while there are still a lot of Brazilians, it's mainly families as the teen groups only show up in January or February after the holidays since Brazilians as very much family oriented.

Now on to the vocabulary lesson:

Cala a boca - Shut Up
Com licença - Excuse me
Não fure a fila - Don't cut in line
Sáia da minha frente - Move out of my way
Respeito por favor - Respect please
Quietos por favor - Quiet please

Bolna

As for the singing, I'm not sure about American cheer groups but Brazilian groups are asked by the leaders and by the filming crew (each trip comes with a video of the trip) to sing and show oneness as a group...it's totally instigated at first and then it becomes the norm as the trip goes on.

Thanks for your interesting post - and the bit I quoted above was the most interesting part to me! I guess that truly explains the singing part - and also why it is so difficult to stop. I guess the video is one of the ways the tour companies can show to the parents that the money they spent on the trip was well worth it. And singing cheerful kids bring that across much better than general crowd shots of kids just chattering among themselves. So there is no incentive at all to these companies to stop encouraging the kids to sing and chant...

WDWVolFan

Also, these tour companies charter multiple planes during a span of a week.
The kids are divided by Bus number and everyone on that plane goes to the same parks and same itinerary daily.
So the folks on the videos encourage your "Bus" to chant versus the other "Buses" so back in 97, my Bus was 19...so we had chants about 19 being number 1, etc.
though all buses go to the same park daily each tour guide plans the day accordingly and which rides to go to, so when you walk by another "Bus" or meet them in line, it's a chant war.

The Empress Lilly

Brazilian groups are asked by the leaders and by the filming crew (each trip comes with a video of the trip) to sing and show oneness as a group...it's totally instigated at first and then it becomes the norm as the trip goes on.
See, this is why it is all so frustrating. The misbehaviour is not caused by boisterous teens. It is instigated by the tour operators. (Multi-million dollar companies)

As such, one word by Disney and the chanting would stop. That's all it takes. One request by WDW.

Hulacat

Google translate says you should remember these Portugese phrases:
(pronunciation in parenthesis)

1. nåo = no (now)
2. meu = mine (mew)
3. calar-se = shut up (calar-see)
4. vocé esta sendo ruim = you are being rude (vo say esta see-em do roo-eem)
5. nåo è aceitavel = not acceptable (now way a seat tay ah feel)
6. com licenca = excuse me (come lee seen say)
7. da-me espaco = give me space (duh me sparse so)
8. eu sou proximo = i am next (ew soo pross emo)
9. germes = germs (jair mees)
10. voce esta acabado - are you finished? (vo say stah ah kah bod oh)
I can't like this enough!

Hulacat

Unless Disney tell them to stop. If enough people complain and focus specifically on the singing and chanting they will have to do something about it. It's worth a try at least.
A petition amongst all the chant averse WDW fans sent to the VP level?

Piebald

I was in Disney this past weekend for a little staycation and noticed several Brazilian cast members at MK. They wore all green with the Brazilian flag and all their tags indicated they were earning their ears. Are these new ?

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
I was in Disney this past weekend for a little staycation and noticed several Brazilian cast members at MK. They wore all green with the Brazilian flag and all their tags indicated they were earning their ears. Are these new ?

Those are the Brazilian super greeters. Disney has been deploying them during tours seasons for the past few years now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom