Interesting Space Mtn. Observation

spacemtnfanatic

Original Poster
Just returned from a heavenly 5-day trip to the World (Trip Report this weekend) and noticed something on TTA.

The first day we were there on TTA, as it goes into Space Mountain the voice says "Now Arriving At Space Mountain, Tomorrowland's Gateway to the Galaxy, Presented by Federal Express" I thought to myself "I wonder if the rumors of the FedEx sponsorship ending are true, cause that voice will have to change"

Rode TTA again Sunday (the 19th) and Monday (the 20th)

When I rode TTA for my final time Tuesday (the 21st), irony struck.

When we went into SM, and the voice came on, it cut off after "Tomorrowland's Gateway to the Galaxy" and the "Presented by Federal Express" part did not play. I thought maybe I had missed it, but listening as other cars entered confirmed they had taken it out.

In addition, the posters on the walls of both unloading stations have been removed, as well as both Fed Ex logos under both signs at the entrance (as seen on this site somewhere)

All other Fed Ex references remain...for now.

Eeerie, huh?

Mookie

In the fall, a crazy pin trading CM told me to hold onto the FedEx Space Mountain and Amex White Glove pins as they would both be ending their sponsorships in the coming months. I guess it's happening now?

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I know that Amex's last day was Dec. 31. I learned the hard way.. lol. I needed to get gas for a company vehicle on Jan 1 and I was off property. The company Amex they lent me had expired the previous day, and the corporate Visas still hadn't arrived. I ended up paying out of pocket and getting reimbursed... sigh.

castlecake2.0

I not sure if this is true or not, but didnt someone say that UPS was interested in taking sposorship of SM?

What sponsors are left at Disney?

Coca-Cola, Nestle, Exxon-Mobil, Kodak, Carnation Baby Food, Dole, Friska's(?), Mattel(?) McDonald's..........

can anyone think of any more?

Monorail Lime

This is totally out of nowhere, but I think it would be cool if IBM took up sponsorship of Space Mountain. They've got a neat thing going on in Innoventions but no presence elsewhere in the park. It would create a nice little rivalry with IBM Presents Space Mountain at the Kingdom and Hewlett DECompaqard Presents Mission: Space at EPCOT.

All we'd need then is for Sun Micro to come in and sponsor Rockin' Rollercoaster when the Aerosmith thing expires. Scott McNealy used to be in a band, maybe he could come up with a few rocking tunes for it...

MobileBadBoy

Account Suspended
Originally posted by castlecake2.0
I not sure if this is true or not, but didnt someone say that UPS was interested in taking sposorship of SM?
UPS would be cool. I have an active interest in them!

Ok, ok...I'm actually just an obsessed Dale Jarrett fan who buys too much UPS stuff. :lookaroun

SirNim

RIP, fabled sponsorships...:cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh well...

UPS... hmmm...

Space Mountain, presented by UPS.

That WOULD be easy... just retrofit the dioramas in the exit of SM and add UPS logos insted of FedEx...

While we are talking about sponsorships, have any AT&T references at Spaceship Earth in Epcot been removed, altered, etc.?... Has the big AT&T logo outside SE been taken down yet?

:)

instidude

Replacement Sponsors

I have been hearing about this for some time, and FedEx left, since a lot of the agreement they had with Disney also required that Disney use FedEx to ship catalog/themepark merchandise. In order to save money, if you've noticed, over the last few years they have been using a lot more UPS na d USPS. I had heard that UPS would be the sponsor for Space Mountain.

And, if you didn't know, Microsoft will be the new sponsor for Spaceship Earth, as AT&T did not want to spend the money with their profit picture looking weak, and continuing to do so after their recent announcement to the market.

WDW1971

Will the federal government sue Microsoft for trying to have a monopoly at Epcot?

Also, I wonder if the ride systems will be run on WinXP or Macs?

There...enough sarcasm for one day!

yesterday i heard that on the tta too,i thought i was going crazy and when i walked inside i couldnt find a single reference to fedex before we the ending thing.i thought i had to have been going crazy

Al

Originally posted by WDW1971
Will the federal government sue Microsoft for trying to have a monopoly at Epcot?

Also, I wonder if the ride systems will be run on WinXP or Macs?

There...enough sarcasm for one day!

:lol: :lol:

I hope the rides get re-sponsored soon! How many millions does it cost to sponsor a ride? I should imagine it costs quite a few pounds (or "bucks"!) :D

SirNim

you mean it will cost a lot of DOE!!

:p *snickers* Dough?!!:lol: $$$
Buck?!!:lol: :lol:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

wild01ride

Originally posted by Mickeyman819
Dang has anyone heard of a new sponsor. Why is everyone dropping thier sponsorship. I hope that somebody resigns with them

Please remember, as has been pointed out in other threads, these sponsors are not "dropping" sponsorship- they are simply not renewing. I know that doesn't make it any better, but it's not like they are bailing on a contract.
Additionally, another company would have to assume sponsorship, not just "resign"- beginning a new sponsorship requires more capital than just continuing a current sponsorship. A lot has to be done in the way of marketing to make a new sponsorship worthwhile.
Let's face it- we all know that nobody wants to shell out cash right now and sponsorships just aren't looking real lucrative in a bland economy for even big companies!:cry:

spacemtnfanatic

Original Poster
As of January 20th, not one AT&T reference has been removed from SE.

What other Fed-Ex references are gone? Do the two lit signs inside SM on TTA still have the Fed Ex, or the sign right before you enter SM on TTA??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom