Interactive Shooter Experience for Star Wars Land?

ItlngrlBella

The way they described the Falcon ride, it sounded like the riders would be able to control/steer the ship and fire the lasers. I'm hoping that's actually and it's real control, no M:S like. That admitted would be a bit like Buzz Lightyear (moving the vehicle and firing) but on a much much higher level.

I felt that the Millenium Falcon ride was like Star Tours - like a motion simulator except you control the motion of the Falcon (within certain parameters) and things correspond on the screen through the front window. Other passengers "shoot" and you get a rating afterwards.

It will be interesting to see - I liked the mockups of the merchants row and dining areas.

doctornick

I felt that the Millenium Falcon ride was like Star Tours - like a motion simulator except you control the motion of the Falcon (within certain parameters) and things correspond on the screen through the front window. Other passengers "shoot" and you get a rating afterwards.

That's my take as well. Now, some might say that such a ride would be kinda boring but to me if they combine Star Tours with actual interaction from the riders, I'd be very excited. It would be cool if the generic description of "you will pilot the Millennium Falcon" actually was a ride where you pilot the Millennium Falcon (as oppose to passively sit while it flies around automatically).

britain

A few thoughts about that great clip of the stormtroopers firing at you:

Did you notice the closing blast doors at the front of your path in the very first frames of the clip? Perhaps it's just a false passage way (akin to Jiminy Cricket offering escape from Pleasure Island on Pinocchio's Daring Journey) or what if it splits a group of ride vehicles in two? Great Movie Ride style, or perhaps more correctly, Mystic Manor style?

Did you also notice the swiveling black head of a droid at the front of your vehicle? I assume that will be your driver.

Great stuff!

raymusiccity

It will be interesting to see - I liked the mockups of the merchants row and dining areas.

Looks like we're zeroing in on a ride system that's a cross between Star Tours and Mission Space :)

ULPO46

Looks like we're zeroing in on a ride system that's a cross between Star Tours and Mission Space :)
You nailed it its just a fancy simulator where you can "control" "pilot" the milleniun falcon. As for the Storm Trooper ride a few Engineers from Uni cam over to Disney and well we have a Spirder Man style ride. Not exactly what the masses thought in mind but what I had been saying since rumors began to pop. You can't build too many things related to Space Travel before being welcomed to more simulators and dark rides. Nothing to advanced and out of this world but this is the Disney of the future. I saw so many great ideas from younger generation Imagineers but budget constraints wouldn't let things be built. How ever even if the people on futons like these don't like it, the popularity of Star Wars alone will draw the crowds away from the Boy Wizard. Very exciting times to be working on the development of Star Wars land.

rioriz

I'd love for it to be a VR experience on a moving track....honestly imagine the cost savings in not having to build physical sets

:)

bakntime

Others have said it, but I'll echo that it looks to me like the Millennium Falcon ride could be like a mix of Toy Story Mania and Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin (Astro Blasters), and the First Order / Resistance attraction will be like Spider-Man / Transformers, possibly a coaster+EMV hybrid, or maybe a trackless system like Ratatouille/Mystic Manor.

bakntime

The Falcon better be more than M:S or I'll be very mad.
While I love M:S, I do want and expect that it will be more than simply that kind of ride. Actually, the presentation made it clear you'll have some degree of control, and I highly doubt it will be the fake kind of control in M:S. Definitely more like Toy Story Mania and Buzz in terms of interactivity and control.

bakntime

crossed with Men in Black's shooter experience. It could be a really awesome attraction if they go that route.
I didn't see anything about the First Order / Resistance attraction that implied any kind of interactivity. Which would be fine by me. Spider-Man and Transformers, for example, are such a rollicking experience that adding in a "shoot the bad guy" element only distracts from the experience. It's really just too much to focus on, and in some ways prevents you from enjoying the scenery. Not everything has to be interactive. I, for one, welcome a Disney attraction that uses a Transformers type ride system. I know not everyone agrees, but I love that ride system. 3D projections, good motion base, simulation of high speeds ... and it would easily allow for part of the attraction to take place in space or outdoors, along with having some practical set elements and animatronics.

roj2323

I didn't see anything about the First Order / Resistance attraction that implied any kind of interactivity. Which would be fine by me. Spider-Man and Transformers, for example, are such a rollicking experience that adding in a "shoot the bad guy" element only distracts from the experience. It's really just too much to focus on, and in some ways prevents you from enjoying the scenery. Not everything has to be interactive. I, for one, welcome a Disney attraction that uses a Transformers type ride system. I know not everyone agrees, but I love that ride system. 3D projections, good motion base, simulation of high speeds ... and it would easily allow for part of the attraction to take place in space or outdoors, along with having some practical set elements and animatronics.

Well if they ran the attraction at the same speed they run spiderman and transformers then yes I'd completely agree.

bakntime

Well if they ran the attraction at the same speed they run spiderman and transformers then yes I'd completely agree.
Right, that's what I mean. But the other thing is that attractions that have interactivity (shooting) can't really spin too much or have motion bases with lots of movement. They have to be fairly slow paced and mostly steady in order to prevent frustration over impossible targets. Non-gamers already have trouble with Buzz and Toy Story Mania, so I can only imagine an attraction with a motion base added in.

In my eyes, we have enough interactive shooting attractions that I'd prefer something like Ratatouille or Transformers for the Star Wars attraction. In other words, no shooting, more "mild thrills." It doesn't have to be nausea-inducing, but just something that feels fast paced.

TP2000

If you are watching the Disneyland 60th special on ABC, then did you notice the stormtroopers shooter attraction? It seems as though Star Wars Land will be getting its own version of Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin.

Except the stormtroopers shooter attraction, AKA the "Battle Attraction" or WDI code name "Alcatraz" per Miceage, will be roughly six times the size of Buzz Lightyear, or three times the size of the Haunted Mansion, or roughly twice the size of Disneyland's 15 minute long Pirates of the Caribbean (not the 8 minute long Cliffs Notes version of Pirates in WDW).

The Battle Attraction is the biggest show building on the left in this map.
StarWarsExpansion-Map-Satellite-After-610x518.jpg

bakntime

Except the stormtroopers shooter attraction, AKA the "Battle Attraction" or WDI code name "Alcatraz" per Miceage, will be roughly six times the size of Buzz Lightyear, or three times the size of the Haunted Mansion, or roughly twice the size of Disneyland's 15 minute long Pirates of the Caribbean (not the 8 minute long Cliffs Notes version of Pirates in WDW).

The Battle Attraction is the biggest show building on the left in this map.

Watching the video again, I'm believing more and more that the Battle Attraction™ will be a large-scale attraction with a combination of screens as well as physical sets, props, and animatronics. And it seems like it could be either trackless like Ratatouille or on rails/tracks like Transformers or a coaster hybrid.

bakntime

Great to see Disneys response to the award winning groundbreaking Spider-Man ride...and just 20 years after it debuted ;)

In all honesty though, I think it's the perfect choice...lets just hope it takes the ride technology to the next level.
I don't think the answer lies in ride technology as much as implementation. Star Tours 2 uses decades old technology, but achieves a splendid result. The Battle attraction doesn't need to break unprecedented ground in ride system in order to achieve an amazing experience. It's all about execution, choosing the right ride system for the experience you want guests to have. Transformers didn't build upon Spider-Man with any new advancements, yet (for me) it didn't need any advancements.

UpAllNight

I don't think the answer lies in ride technology as much as implementation. Star Tours 2 uses decades old technology, but achieves a splendid result. The Battle attraction doesn't need to break unprecedented ground in ride system in order to achieve an amazing experience. It's all about execution, choosing the right ride system for the experience you want guests to have. Transformers didn't build upon Spider-Man with any new advancements, yet (for me) it didn't need any advancements.

These are fair points and I agree....I suppose the 'next level' aspect for me wouldn't be technological but rather financial, in that I would hope bigger sets mixed with AAs could be blended with the use of Spiderman tech.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom