Insider info/ AMA on WDW's 50th Ann.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disnerd2003

Original Poster
Alright. I'm gonna start this off by saying I've spent a wonderful 30 years with TDO, and know about nearly everything coming to WDW for the 50th and beyond I can't speak of. I am, however, going to share insider info to lay the MK 50th Anniversary parade rumors to rest. Disneyland is a ghost town and PTN is extremely expensive to operate. That sits in TDA's parade warehouse while the arguably more profitable and cheaper parade to run (MSEP) performed over the summer. Meanwhile, management in WDW is panicking attack right now. CM hours are being cut, deals are popping up, and as a 30 year vet of the company who has seen the ups and downs, I can say that it's a disaster. Management is looking for anything to draw back in crowds and nostalgia sells like nothing else. The new fireworks show is going to play similarly to Epcot Forever, but much better. This nostalgia factor is going to bring in crowds by the numbers. To match this, TDO is in the process of sending the MEP back to Orlando (pictures exist, I may post them). TDO is planning on spending the next year fixing and repairing it, and using it for the 50th anniversary. Management expects it to draw in crowds and genuinely please most. The 50th is going to be a celebration of the history of the Magic Kingdom. For that, Disney needs this nostalgia. Next year at Destination D you'll be alerted of the new Fireworks and MSEP's return, and you'll see the MSEP as early as spring 2021.

tl77

With the lack luster D23 it seemed like there were problems behind the scenes, always love the Main Street Electric Parade though... will these "new fireworks" be replacing the current "Happily Ever After" show? which is more projections than fireworks

Disnerd2003

Original Poster
With the lack luster D23 it seemed like there were problems behind the scenes, always love the Main Street Electric Parade though... will these "new fireworks" be replacing the current "Happily Ever After" show? which is more projections than fireworks
Yes replacing HEA. Can't give too many details but count on it being a long show full of projections (some in places you wouldn't expect). D23 was lackluster. Parks and Resorts division has a ton of info they're withholding. You're gonna hear at Destination D and a special conference before the 50th.

trainplane3

I'm so sorry but...
Oh for the love of-

It's a decent parade but it's a DL original and should stay there. If they're going for nostalgia then a reborn Spectro is the way to go and not some old and out of date parade instead. If anything, this'll keep me away from MK since it's nothing new and I rarely enjoy parades. Spectro was the last one I loved.

*not trying to offend MSEP lovers but you have to admit, MSEP is smaller and fits DLR much better.

Disnerd2003

Original Poster
Spectromagic would be a multimillion dollar effort and take more than a year and a half to build correctly. Patching MSEP and letting it run the rest of it's life here will raise more merch revenue, be more economical/efficient for TDO.

rsm

there's gotta be at least one more drop of essence left in that thing.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Spectromagic would be a multimillion dollar effort and take more than a year and a half to build correctly. Patching MSEP and letting it run the rest of it's life here will raise more merch revenue, be more economical/efficient for TDO.

But not many people really care that much about MSEP so its really not worth it.
Just skip a nighttime parade all together.

Disnerd2003

Original Poster
@Magenta Panther It was a very good show. And there will be call backs to it in the new show. Like I said the new show is focused on nostalgia so expect tons of tears. A certain person will be prominent in this show. It's going to be about the creation of WDW and it's history over the years. Expect many callbacks to a certain old show we all loved as well. And there are parts of it that coincide with the MSEP (more details on that hint later next year).

TrojanUSC

Alright. I'm gonna start this off by saying I've spent a wonderful 30 years with TDO, and know about nearly everything coming to WDW for the 50th and beyond I can't speak of. I am, however, going to share insider info to lay the MK 50th Anniversary parade rumors to rest. Disneyland is a ghost town and PTN is extremely expensive to operate. That sits in TDA's parade warehouse while the arguably more profitable and cheaper parade to run (MSEP) performed over the summer. Meanwhile, management in WDW is panicking attack right now. CM hours are being cut, deals are popping up, and as a 30 year vet of the company who has seen the ups and downs, I can say that it's a disaster. Management is looking for anything to draw back in crowds and nostalgia sells like nothing else. The new fireworks show is going to play similarly to Epcot Forever, but much better. This nostalgia factor is going to bring in crowds by the numbers. To match this, TDO is in the process of sending the MEP back to Orlando (pictures exist, I may post them). TDO is planning on spending the next year fixing and repairing it, and using it for the 50th anniversary. Management expects it to draw in crowds and genuinely please most. The 50th is going to be a celebration of the history of the Magic Kingdom. For that, Disney needs this nostalgia. Next year at Destination D you'll be alerted of the new Fireworks and MSEP's return, and you'll see the MSEP as early as spring 2021.

Please tell me the new Fireworks show won't be as horribly juvenile as Kidzbop Epcot Forever and the new MNNHP ones? Those are both uniquely terrible.

Disnerd2003

Original Poster
More happened with higher ups than guests think. What is happening to PTN that I mentioned earlier happened to Spectro. I wouldn't be surprised if PTN meets the same fate. MSEP was cheaper to operate, drew crowds, and sold merch. Spectro was a very long parade that didn't fill Main Street with guests as well as MSEP does. It overstayed its welcome bc it was a people eater and a money grab.

brb1006

More happened with higher ups than guests think. What is happening to PTN that I mentioned earlier happened to that. MSEP was cheaper to operate, drew crowds, and sold merch. Spectro was a very long parade that didn't fill Main Street with guests as well as MSEP does. It overstayed its welcome bc it was a people eater and a money grab.
More like MSEP overstayed it's welcome (seriously the parade is currently 47 years old and half of the floats are missing). Suddenly the "Farewell Merchandise" for 2000 and 2016 is completely pointless now. Keep in mind that Spectro was 19 years old when it left in 2010 while MSEP was 38 that year.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
More happened with higher ups than guests think. What is happening to PTN that I mentioned earlier happened to Spectro. I wouldn't be surprised if PTN meets the same fate. MSEP was cheaper to operate, drew crowds, and sold merch. Spectro was a very long parade that didn't fill Main Street with guests as well as MSEP does. It overstayed its welcome bc it was a people eater and a money grab.

Maybe for DL it draws crowds but for MK no it really didn't draw nearly as many as Spectro did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom