Inside Out is almost here!

Disneyfanman

Original Poster
I am really excited about this film, and six months ago didn't have any desire to see it. That's a tribute to Disney's marketing push and some unusual choices with a unique concept. There were the rave reviews coming from Cannes, progressively better trailers, and non-stop concept art everywhere. It all finally won me over. It's currently at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes with a significant number of early reviews already in. So now I'm completely "in" and can't wait until Thursday when it early releases here.

It "feels" like it will do well, but not super well on opening weekend. It's just such a hard sell. What does everyone else think?

DonaldDoleWhip

I saw Inside Out tonight at an early screening - it was fantastic. The animation didn't mesmerize me in the same way that Finding Nemo or Wall-E did, but the world they established inside Riley's mind was impressive and fleshed out extremely well. The movie was also filled with humor, with several gags that made clever insights into how our minds actually work. Tom Bricker had a great point about this in his review: so many of those insights are casually "relegated to 'throwaway' status." Because they come and go so quickly, those moments will succeed in making Inside Out super re-watchable. I did tear up a little near the end, but the movie was primarily a fun adventure with some nostalgia and sadness mixed in (sort of like Up).

Random fact: San Francisco is home to a popular bakery that serves only one kind of pizza each day. Sometimes it's even topped with broccoli! Having just moved to SF a few weeks ago (like Riley and her family in the film), I'm excited to try this place. (Not sure why I mentioned that here - perhaps it's because I skipped dinner for the Inside Out screening and am hungry now.) :D

Also, there's a musical reference to a popular DL/MK attraction. It's hard to miss and a perfect fit for the scene! I didn't catch another Disney Parks reference but will look for it whenever I re-watch the movie.

prberk

I saw Inside Out tonight at an early screening - it was fantastic. The animation didn't mesmerize me in the same way that Finding Nemo or Wall-E did, but the world they established inside Riley's mind was impressive and fleshed out extremely well. The movie was also filled with humor, with several gags that made clever insights into how our minds actually work. Tom Bricker had a great point about this in his review: so many of those insights are casually "relegated to 'throwaway' status." Because they come and go so quickly, those moments will succeed in making Inside Out super re-watchable. I did tear up a little near the end, but the movie was primarily a fun adventure with some nostalgia and sadness mixed in (sort of like Up).

Random fact: San Francisco is home to a popular bakery that serves only one kind of pizza each day. Sometimes it's even topped with broccoli! Having just moved to SF a few weeks ago (like Riley and her family in the film), I'm excited to try this place. (Not sure why I mentioned that here - perhaps it's because I skipped dinner for the Inside Out screening and am hungry now.) :D

Also, there's a musical reference to a popular DL/MK attraction. It's hard to miss and a perfect fit for the scene! I didn't catch another Disney Parks reference but will look for it whenever I re-watch the movie.

I went to the sneak preview as well. It was a fun movie. And not full of itself with self-importance. It was fun and a good look at the fleeting nature of times of our lives (the fading memories and other things in her mind).

Very fun.

The sneak preview (the whole movie, but early) also included a tour of Pixar Animation Studios, which was also fun. Clearly it is a creative and fun place to work. I liked the guy's office that had a secret passage (behind the bookcase, of course) to his poker room. That was fun. And of course they found John Lasseter in a storyboard room (which he would not let us in)... but which was labeled "Toy Story 4". A fun way to confirm that for us.

They also had an interview with Amy Poehler and the director, Pete Docter, live afterward. They were in Syndney, Australia, where it was 11 a.m. at the time of the interview (9 p.m. EDT). Of course they had the Sydney Opera House in the window behind them. It reminded me of all of those movies that make you think every single window in Paris has a view of the Eiffel Tower. It was raining behind them. Anyway, they seemed to have a lot of fun making the movie. They revealed that the plot had been through several incarnations before they decided on using this 11-year-old girl's story. It was cool to hear about the story process.

Anyway, I had fun, and you will like the movie when it comes out.

prberk

By the way, given the discussion in the Tomorrowland thread about that movie's perception as a "failure" affecting Disney's decisions in the future to stick with known "franchises" and sequels, I will be curiuos to see how this unique film does. I hope it does well for that very reason: a new story and new idea. Thus I am also relieved that it is a good film. If it does not do well it will not be because of the film, I feel.

And the Pixar tour in our preview showed nothing but sequels on their slate for the future. (I know that they only showed things that they wanted known, but it still said something that the big productions were sequels in a studio known earlier for a constant slate of unique new films.)

So, anyway, I hope it does well. I deserves it. It is a fun and interesting film. (So, by the way, was the short before it, "Lava.") AND it will help to counter the people in the company who might say they need to stop doing new, risky material, and stick only with known franchises these days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom