Insane crowds, more space needed

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I once stood on my balcony in a hotel on International Drive and watched both the MK Fireworks show and the Epcot Show by just moving my head 45 degrees in either direction. I couldn't hear the music, but, how well do you hear it with fireworks exploding anyway. I saw both complete shows and didn't even have to set foot on Disney property. So if they decide to charge for something you can see from miles away and people are willing to pay it. I think they should do that. As P.T. Barnum once said... "There's a sucker born every minute"!
The international drive people got you then ...
Could have stayed at home and watched them for free without turning your head 😉

Cmdr_Crimson

That's what I do- if there's a parade or fireworks, all I can think is "this would be a great time to knock out some rides"

Also, has anyone ever been on a ride when they can see the fireworks? If we're talking experiences, this is one of the best ones I have had, and it didn't require me watching from start to finish

I'd say Peoplemover due to it being close to the hub and you can see it from the different angles whilst riding...

jaques21

I'm sorry your experience was ruined, but its not going to change anytime soon. the main reason is people want to see the show projected on the castle and have the fireworks behind the castle. Until the projection show goes or its worked on all sides of the castle somehow its going to be a corral of people in front of the castle. Go to the left, right or behind the castle and there is plenty of room, even at TTC has a great view. I'm sure a lot of us that have been attending for years will tell you its just the way WDW has always been as the lands and crowds get bigger.

EricPZ

Meh, this was the scene about 10 minutes before the fireworks last Wednesday.
PANO_20180801_210038.jpg

I don't get to Orlando often but it wasn't any worse than I'd previously experienced there or at Disneyland. Yeah, it's a mess when when it finishes and people disburse in different directions, but, I just see that as part of the adventure.

DisneyDoctor

I watched a family who was kept in BOG during the fireworks for safety reasons lose their minds screaming at the hosts, telling them that their trip was RUINED because they couldnt see the show. I wont lie, its a site to see, but would you consider a trip a waste if you missed it?
If it was a once in a lifetime trip and the children dreamed of seeing the show and this was their only opportunity to do so, then yeah I’d understand the angst.

That’s the whole idea of subjectivity. Everyone puts different value on different experiences.

Goofyernmost

The international drive people got you then ...
Could have stayed at home and watched them for free without turning your head 😉
My god you are right... I was one of those born every minute. :arghh:
Can watch them on DirecTV on demand from anywhere!
That's not free either, you have to pay for DirecTV to begin with don't you???? :confused:

rob0519

Enough is enough, there are no longer quiet periods in Orlando for the parks. It's growth is continuing upwards. There just needs to be more space, more land areas for the public to be spread out.

Watching the fireworks tonight was borederline dangerous how everyone was squashed into the tight lines.

It just made for a really miserable experience. Magic Kingdom suffers badly obviously as it's the busiest. Perhaps now it's time to look at stop navigating people one way up Main Street. Perhaps we need a side street. Exiting the park is thoroughly horrendous once the fireworks close.

From our two dozen or more trips, the last one being in 2013, I would have to say you're right. The Disney Marketing Machine has managed to overfill the MK with no thought at to how to handle that amount of people.

Our special needs adult son is in a wheelchair. Any time either before or after the fireworks made it impossible to even cross Main St., let alone navigate it up and down. He cannot see over everyone's head to view the castle and most adults cannot see him in the chair because it is below their level of vision. He's had multiple adults after the fireworks turn and fall over or onto him in their hurry to get out. They, then of course, start screaming at us even though he was sitting perfectly still. We never even think about leaving the park until 30 or 45 minutes after the fireworks and of course it's another 30 minute or more wait if you need the monorail.

Even during the day, the wait times for attractions of 2+ hours is too much for him to handle. Twelve hours in a park for just 5 or 6 attractions has the potential to bring on multiple seizures.

Unfortunately, the crowding situation at MK and now Toy Story Land, Avatar and eventually Star Wars Land will just bring in more and more people. I would like to see all the parks open until 11:00 or Midnight on a regular basis to spread out the crowds, but it seems hours are shrinking , the crowds get bigger and the value/enjoyment of money spent continues to go down.

Even with the crowds, we will definitely be going back sometime in the next year or two. It's hard to stay away for too long.

rob0519

I watched a family who was kept in BOG during the fireworks for safety reasons lose their minds screaming at the hosts, telling them that their trip was RUINED because they couldnt see the show. I wont lie, its a site to see, but would you consider a trip a waste if you missed it?

I don't know if the trip was wasted, but depending on the circumstances it could seem that way. For example, you and the family save for three years to take your first and maybe only trip to WDW. You only have so much time and four parks to see. If you have one day/one park tickets and your only chance to see the Fireworks/Castle Projection is lost because some Castmember won't let you out of a building I can see that as a major disappointment. Not a wasted trip, but certainly missing a main component.

John park hopper

I am not a special needs person and 2+ hour wait for an attraction is too much for me to handle. your son is not alone. I don't think the Disney bean counters care about crowd levels and the negative impact on the magic---- all they see is $$$$$. There was time we would on a spur of the moment pack up the boys and head to WDW not any more crowds have put stop to that. The wife and I plan and plan and plan for the lest amount of people and even then its a flip of the coin.

DisneyDoctor

I mean hey, if I traveled to Paris and the Eiffel Tower was curtained off, yeah there'd be some disappointment- Priorities I guess. I get that its a "moment" but to me, there are dozens of things about a WDW trip that can create a special moment- to fixate on one, and having the entire trip hinge on that 1 thing, seems a bit much.
Subjectivity.

This may be hyperbole, but maybe witnessing the castle show was a child’s dying wish.

Sneezy62

What were the crowds like when the park first opened? In 1971 to the mid 1970s for example. You would think this would be a time with overflowing crowds and while it seems lots of people went it just never looked nearly as busy in old pictures.
The crowds at that time were in the queues. Remember the CBJ and Hall of Presidents were the biggest attractions until 20000 Leagues and Pirates opened. We lived close by from ‘68 to ‘75. I went back in ‘78 and it seemed much more chaotic. So much so that I didn’t return until 2009 when I met my wife. She had never been and it was a lifelong dream so we went. Twice. I’m still not a fan but we have three kids now and we are taking them in Nov. We will have a great time and go back while the kids are the right age.

chrisbarry

What's truly remarkable to me is that the last two times I watched the fireworks at MK - just last week on July 26 and back in March - I did so from the bridge to Tomorowland and both times I was with maybe 2 dozen people - not hundreds and not packed in like sardines. I could see the projections, I could see the castle, I could see the fireworks, I heard everything loud and clear. It was wonderful! No traffic jam getting there and definitely none leaving because I didn't leave right away.

And seriously - what's the rush to run out of the park as soon as they're over? You could wait 20 minutes on the bridge for instance and hundreds and hundreds of people will have left Main Street already. Wait 30 -40 minutes and thousands of people have left. And where did all those people rush off to anyway? To pack themselves into the transportation lines? It just doesn't make any sense. Last week on our last day, the park closed at 11. We stayed until close to 12. Walked out practically alone down Main Street and then right onto a bus with no line. If you don't want to stay that late, then even say 11:30 and you'd still cut out the stampede. I remember doing this with three little kids as well. They're in the stroller, more than likely asleep already and that 30 minutes won't exhaust them anymore than they already are and you increase your safety quotient and aggravation quotient substantially.

Just because everyone watches from the same spot and everyone leaves right away doesn't mean you have to do that too. We caught the fireworks while riding Big Thunder (only a 20 minute wait) last week and it was one of the best Disney moments we've ever had. Pulling out of the tunnel into a huge fireworks burst was incredible! Then we walked along the water towards Liberty Square watching them explode behind the castle and saw the ending right in front of Haunted Mansion and it was amazing - no Tink...but still amazing! Then ducked into HM with a 5 minute wait. My point clearly is, there's ways to avoid the crush.

Smiley/OCD

*Sigh*

No.

The (financial) purpose of the nighttime shows is to keep people in the parks later than they would normally stay, spending money on merchandise, food, and beverage. Take away the incentive to stick around and people will start filing out of the parks at 5:30 and heading to TGI Fridays.
Which is exactly why the stores on Casey's side were connected together...there may have been a safety factor considered but after the fireworks, you have a "captive audience" walking slowly thru the stores...what better way (in WDW terms) to satisfy a tired, cranky child than to walk slowly thru the stores and buy them something? That's also another reason the side exits are only open certain times is because they can't make any $$ walking down those paths. Build retail back there and...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom