Informations about POTC rehab

TimonRulz

Imagine sitting in the boat and all of a sudden someone who is very small and very light get blown out of the boat. It won't happen, but just think. :p

Epcot82Guy

BREAKING NEWS: POTC, sponsored by Propecia

"Ahoy mateys, there be rough waters ahead for those without the little purple pill."

pat_naughty05

If the cannon effect is that strong, I'm sure that Disney will put plenty if warning signs in the queue and loading area, similar to the ones on some of the more thrilling attractions. However, I'm not sure how some guests will feel about removing their toupees...

BrittanyRose428

hokielutz said:
when will POTC be closed again for the second part of the refurb? Also I am concerned that they may not have the ride up and running with the new additions by the beginning of July deadline, because of the stop work for easter. Is anyone else concerned...
im sort of concerned because im going in the beginning of july too, and its one of my favorite rides

DonnieDarko

Personally, I like POTC at WDW better than the original at DL. Since they didn't have to theame the loading area like New Orleans they didn't have that extra minute to transport you back to the pirate era. The other "extra" parts at DL were a lot of dark tunnels with no theaming until the end.

Oh dear. You do realise that the extra minute, or minutes rather, as well as the bit of business near the end which is in every other version of the attraction is....well to be blunt, the story!

Pirates in florida has always been the only one without a story. Our story is merely "Oh look there's a pirate ship over there, let's go through these caves, we're in a town now, oh those wacky pirates, get out"

The point of the attraction, which is of course evident in all three of the other versions, is that these pirates are dead and we travel back in time, thanks to the cursed treasure, to see them in their prime before returning to the present.

And of course the only reason Pirates has no story and is half as long in WDW is of course because it was never intended to be in the park in the first place and was built as a quick fix.

Regardless, Pirates in WDW is benefting the most from the rehab because the one in DL has been updated and revamped over the years whereas WDW's has never had a true overhaul. Now things will look and sound great, we will no longer be running on 1973 AA's mostly, and there will FINALLY be a story. A silly Jack Sparrow story, but a story nonetheless.

Oh and we will have the CGI Davy Jones projection in our attraction too.

Slowjack

DonnieDarko said:
Oh dear. You do realise that the extra minute, or minutes rather, as well as the bit of business near the end which is in every other version of the attraction is....well to be blunt, the story!

Pirates in florida has always been the only one without a story. Our story is merely "Oh look there's a pirate ship over there, let's go through these caves, we're in a town now, oh those wacky pirates, get out"

What the others have that WDW's does not is a framework. None of them really has a story, in my opinion. I mean, once Disneyland's has set up that we're going back to see these old skeletons when they were alive, we still get the same set of loosely connected sacking-the-town vignettes.

I'm not downplaying what those missing scenes would add to WDW's version (you will never find me claiming that a shorter Pirates is a better Pirates).

But one of things I like about Pirates and HM and other classic attractions is the lack of a linear story. These rides put you in the middle of an adventure and the story, such as it is, forms in your head. In contrast, many of the newer attractions are so heavily plotted that they decrease the re-ride value.

DonnieDarko

But one of things I like about Pirates and HM and other classic attractions is the lack of a linear story.

Ah yes but HM does not have a story whatsoever unless you count the whole tour of a house as one whereas Pirates has always had a very clear story, even if the town does not have a clear flow from scene to scene.

spectro0294

DonnieDarko said:
Ah yes but HM does not have a story whatsoever unless you count the whole tour of a house as one whereas Pirates has always had a very clear story, even if the town does not have a clear flow from scene to scene.

I thought the story behind HM was that you were given a tour of the house, the ghost host leaves when Madam Leota calls up the spirits, you see the transparent spirits and then when your in the attic, you fall out the window (the part where you go down backwards), then in the graveyard, all the spirits appear more solid than transparent because your one too. At least that's what I read somewhere, I can't remember where though. Please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong but it makes sense to me.

Epcot82Guy

Slowjack said:
But one of things I like about Pirates and HM and other classic attractions is the lack of a linear story. These rides put you in the middle of an adventure and the story, such as it is, forms in your head. In contrast, many of the newer attractions are so heavily plotted that they decrease the re-ride value.

Here here! I agree 100%. As for Mansion, it has never had a storyline. All the things you read are fan-based from the internet (Gracey's wife, your role, etc.). These are all created by imagination which, IMHO, is what makes the rides so spectacular. You can say the same for Pirates, Horizons, etc. They created SETTINGS; they did not tell stories. As you said, the guest does that himself. MAN! I wish that would come back!

TP2000

raven said:
Personally, I like POTC at WDW better than the original at DL. Since they didn't have to theame the loading area like New Orleans they didn't have that extra minute to transport you back to the pirate era. The other "extra" parts at DL were a lot of dark tunnels with no theaming until the end.

Something tells me you haven't actually been on the Disneyland version. :cool:

doctorcfjh

A film works well with a relatively easily followed plot.

Great films have sub-plots, intricacies and complexity which makes them enjoyable each time you watch them.

Truly spectacular films create a cohesive, immersive world which stands alone and everything fits. (Although I am not the greatest fan of Star Wars Lucas managed that amply. Contrast The Lion King to Chicken Little).

Rides, IMHO, have a similar basic need:

1. They must be accessible to the average guest who is riding them either for the first time or for the first time in ages. To do this they must fulfil one of two categories:
a. Have some sort of convincing story that holds them together<O:p</O:p
b. Be so technologically or visually stunning that you don't really care<O:p</O:p
(e.g Soarin)<O:p</O:p
c. They may have a thrilling or kinetic aspect.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

2. Repeat value equates to the sub plots etc. Given that (unlike films) most theme park attractions will be ridden numerous times there must be sufficient complexity and detail that repeat rides reveal new or unseen details.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

3. In creating a cohesive immersive environment you have rides that span the decades. I feel that it is attractions such as the Haunted Mansion and Pirates that do this best. Joe Rhode said about Everest that what he most wanted was to take people to the Nepalese Himalayas to convince them they are in that place. Once you have willfully suspended disbelief in that way then it contextualizes and strengthens any ride experience.

I will say that I was disappointed with Pirates in WDW. Not criticize the ride it self... it still holds up on its own as a masterpiece. However i 'grew up' with PotC in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:PlaceName w:st=
Haunted</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st=" /><st1:City w:st="on">Paris</st1:City>. The scale is so much greater, the visuals impeccable and there seems to be a more logical flow and greater design. You feel transported to the Caribbean at night.

Personally I think that this type of plussing is essential in the long term to keep the parks (and especially these attractions alive and fresh). Walt plussed all the time. To use his words if the ride was 'finished' then are we saying there is no imagination left in the world?

Of course not. Imagineering is collaborative (as is animation) both at the rides design and over time. Only dynamic organisms are truly competitive or successful.

I will stop now. phew. nice cup of tea and stare at the wall for a minute to cool brain off.

Lee

Adventurer
msberrigan said:
Is there a firm reopening date for DL POTC? I am going to DL June 30th - July 3rd and this is on the top of my list.
You should be fine.
The ride will open to the public on June 25 or 26.

DSNYKID

I also prefer the DL version of POTC. We were in DL in May 05 and WDW in DEC 05. After riding POTC at WDW my husband and I agreed that we liked the DL version better. We also liked BUzz better in DL as well. But that's a different topic for a different day.
Next trip 4/22- 4/28! :wave:

Slowjack

DonnieDarko said:

I'm not sure I see what you mean. Both rides are like hearing somebody spin an adventure yarn--everything connects from moment to moment but there's no real plot (except the one we make for ourselves). The difference with Pirates is that it's like before the yarn gets started, the guy starts off by saying, "See these old bones! Them's pirate bones! Reminds me of some pirate tales..." For me that doesn't make Pirates a ride with a clear story.

spectro0294

Epcot82Guy said:
Here here! I agree 100%. As for Mansion, it has never had a storyline. All the things you read are fan-based from the internet (Gracey's wife, your role, etc.). These are all created by imagination which, IMHO, is what makes the rides so spectacular. You can say the same for Pirates, Horizons, etc. They created SETTINGS; they did not tell stories. As you said, the guest does that himself. MAN! I wish that would come back!

ah, yes, alot of stuff read about the rides are fan based. I definitly agree that it is better when your imagination makes a story for you. I only wish I hadn't read it now, it'll be stuck to me. oh well, HM is still my favorite ride.

Punkss

I have never really thought of the story of POTC until the film, i basically understood it was a series of scenes of pirates taking over a town with treasure and the like but until the film no plot really.

Is it just me?!

Buford

Punkss said:
I have never really thought of the story of POTC until the film, i basically understood it was a series of scenes of pirates taking over a town with treasure and the like but until the film no plot really.

Is it just me?!
therein lies the magic. Grab the clues and create it for yourself :D :D :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom