Infared boxes or cameras at WDW?

coasterridr

Original Poster
Maybe both.....I have noticed these black boxes scattered around the parks, probably 8X6 size. They have a plexiglass front cover and it looks like there is a big lens inside the middle of the box. My guess is that these are the infared transmitters for the Pal Mickeys. But I guess they could be used for cameras too. One of the easiest to see is on the lower left of the JIYI sign. Does anyone know exactly what these are for?

SpenceMan01

I don't believe the Pal Mickey's work on IR. I think they run on RF. They had special pins that were activated via IR, however...

WEDMagic

Light up pins

These boxes are infared transmitters previously used for the light up 100 years of magic pins which are still around in different froms. Pal mickey info is transmitted by a WIFI type system

Tom

Beta Return
TheOneVader said:
Pal Mickey IR? Infrared is line of site, unlike RF. If that is indeed what they use, that seems like a bad choice...

I'm with you on this one....IR is not an ideal choice to broadcast data to something that is constantly moving around the parks. It would have to be RF - unless they have thousands of these IR transmitters.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Argh...!

It is IR - you have to wear Pal Mickey with his nose forward or he wont work, and there ARE thousands of transmitters.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
Besides being LOS, where would the recievers on Pal mickey be for the IR connection. Also, doesn't IR have a very limited bandwidth and capacity for the needs of the Pal Mickey System.

They have to be camera IR illuminators. I believe that the ones that disney uses are custom made by Pelco for disney. (I saw a lot of pelco domes, PTZs[pan tilt zoom] and enclosure housings last time I was down).

IR_illuminators_big.gif

mousermerf

Account Suspended
It's in his nose. Does anyone here listen to me..?

The IR "lights" used for cameras are pretty much theatrical scoops/washes and occasionally spots with an IR bulb.

Those boxes you pointed out are used for Pal Mickey, Ears to the World, and Handheld Captioning - they pulse/flash a signal whereas the ones used for cameras are steady.

Often, there is enough ambient light that an IR light is not needed.

Also, at AK they use smaller narrow focus IR's "beam" thingies that look like cones. they trigger mickey to talk about specific animal habitats and thus need that smaller area.

Again, the sensor is in his nose. Examples of how it's IR - there's absolutely no reason to have cameras in Energy's preshow but it has half a dozen of those boxes. Second, when you approach Future World West through the breezeway, Mickey mentions that Imagination is on your left, LAND is straight ahead, and Seas is on the right. He can't tell what dirction he's facing, but the beam only comes from one side. (Look up at the end of the breezeway).

Tom

Beta Return
mousermerf said:
Argh...!

It is IR - you have to wear Pal Mickey with his nose forward or he wont work, and there ARE thousands of transmitters.

Ah, I see now. I guess I didn't fully understand how Pal worked. I thought it was like a cell phone or GPS device where you could pretty much find out anything from any spot in the park....but apparently it IS like a cell phone, in as much as you can't use the darn thing if you're not within range of a transmitter. From what I'm gathering here, the toy doesn't know much if it is not in a line of sight of an IR Xmitter - right?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Correct. Hence why the new version is for sale and the old can't talk about Soarin' - he doesn't have the speils and can't download new ones.

dolbyman

Besides being LOS, where would the recievers on Pal mickey be for the IR connection. Also, doesn't IR have a very limited bandwidth and capacity for the needs of the Pal Mickey System.

bandwidth for what ? .. th trigger is like your TV remote ... so not much bandwidth needed :lol:

it was a great game for my sister and me to sarch for those IR transmitters and pointing PM in the diretction waiting for the line he has to drop :sohappy:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
mousermerf said:
Those boxes you pointed out are used for Pal Mickey, Ears to the World, and Handheld Captioning - they pulse/flash a signal whereas the ones used for cameras are steady..

Are these in the rides too? Would this be the flashing lights (usually in the ceiling) ride vides record on CCD chips?

mousermerf

Account Suspended
The best example I can think of is the TTA - record it in nightvision mode and as you enter Space Mountain and in the darkness, at one point a little before the lifthills, you'll see a bright blaring steady light (infared of course) coming from behind the vehicle. That's a camera's light. Later there will be intermittent flashing, that's the IR guest systems at work.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom