Indiana Jones Renovation (2020)

cmwade77

Shutting things down flattens the curve which means we have enough resources to treat the sick. Italy just announced they might have to stop treating patients over 80 and leaving them to die. We can survive without Disneyland for 2 months. That is the responsible action.
But then you are going to have over 100 million homeless people in the U.S. alone, won't that cause more disease in the long run? There aren't great answers, but again I am not saying do nothing to prevent the spread of disease, but I am saying our current course is going to cause more problems in the long run than the alternatives.

captveg

But then you are going to have over 100 million homeless people in the U.S. alone, won't that cause more disease in the long run? There aren't great answers, but again I am not saying do nothing to prevent the spread of disease, but I am saying our current course is going to cause more problems in the long run than the alternatives.

That's my concern. I mean, if unemployment hits 45-55% how does this shutdown really save lives?

captveg

Because the unemployment is temporary. Disney CMs are still being compensated, as are many other employees. Many jobs are having employees work remotely. The end is in sight, we just need to remain vigilant.

How long will Disney compensate those employees, though? If this stretches into at least June I doubt they would. Not to mention all the vendors they get supplies from they aren't compensating, and so on.

From an analytical point of view there simply has to be a point where the problems caused by the reaction to the virus supercedes the problems of the virus itself. Where that point is I don't know, but it exists, and my bet is that it exists before the vague notion from the President today that this could last until August.

BubbaisSleep

How long will Disney compensate those employees, though? If this stretches into at least June I doubt they would. Not to mention all the vendors they get supplies from they aren't compensating, and so on.

From an analytical point of view there simply has to be a point where the problems caused by the reaction to the virus supercedes the problems of the virus itself. Where that point is I don't know, but it exists, and my bet is that it exists before the vague notion from the President today that this could last until August.
It's better solution than Disney remaining open during a time of no tourism or international flights. They could possibly lose money reopening so soon especially if this epidemic gets worse. The money they could potentially lose could have gone to help their employees instead, which they are doing now. During these times, all we can do is what's best for now. You're asking for answers that can't be given because things are changing everyday. Worry about August if you want, for now Disney remaining close until May seems like a responsible decision. Maybe once we get closer to May, we can worry about your worries next. This topic is more suited for another thread anyways as we're steering away from how this disease will affect the refurb Indiana Jones discussion & more into general discussion of the disease.

captveg

It's better solution than Disney remaining open during a time of no tourism or international flights. They could possibly lose money reopening so soon especially if this epidemic gets worse. The money they could potentially lose could have gone to help their employees instead, which they are doing now. During these times, all we can do is what's best for now. You're asking for answers that can't be given because things are changing everyday. Worry about August if you want, for now Disney remaining close until May seems like a responsible decision. Maybe once we get closer to May, we can worry about your worries next. This topic is more suited for another thread anyways as we're steering away from how this disease will affect the refurb Indiana Jones discussion & more into general discussion of the disease.

Oh, I'm not worried. Just wondering where, analytically, that crossover point is. If cases remain minimal over the next few weeks I can see some businesses start to ramp back up out of necessity, though Disney wouldn't likely be one of those companies to step out in front in that way because they would be more open to public scrutiny.

Professortango1

Oh, I'm not worried. Just wondering where, analytically, that crossover point is. If cases remain minimal over the next few weeks I can see some businesses start to ramp back up out of necessity, though Disney wouldn't likely be one of those companies to step out in front in that way because they would be more open to public scrutiny.

This is why we're supposed to have 2.5 months worth of savings. If people are buying Starbucks, Netflix, and upgrading their smartphones, they should have enough to survive 10 weeks. If they don't, that's poor cash management on their part.

cmwade77

This is why we're supposed to have 2.5 months worth of savings. If people are buying Starbucks, Netflix, and upgrading their smartphones, they should have enough to survive 10 weeks. If they don't, that's poor cash management on their part.
You make a lot of assumptions there, there are many people who don't do that or have smartphones that don't have the savings because they literally make barely enough to survive. Many of these are Disney Cast Members, but not only that, there are many businesses that depend on Disney that can't survive a 10 week shut down. For example,any companies that rent ECVs were already left struggling after Disney changed the rules (especially at Disneyland) on what companies could use bell services. 10 weeks of no income may literally make the difference between staying in business or closing up shop. If they close up shop, that is potentially hundreds of people unemployed right there, sure they might have been able to last 10 weeks, but not longer. This is just one of many, many examples of businesses that depend on Disney directly, then factor in that the people that work for these companies provide business to other companies and there is an indirect effect.

Add in all of the other shut downs, like theaters, concerts, etc. That not only had to cancel, but provide refunds to their patrons and the knock on effect from that and really we are talking massive problems, especially in an area that is as heavily dependent on the entertainment industry as Southern California is. We will end up with mass homelessness and it becomes quite clear how we we will have far more disease in the long run with what is currently being done. Remember this is going to only affect us for 10 weeks, for every week things are closed, we are looking at 2 - 12 weeks of negative economic impact at a minimum.

Professortango1

You make a lot of assumptions there, there are many people who don't do that or have smartphones that don't have the savings because they literally make barely enough to survive. Many of these are Disney Cast Members, but not only that, there are many businesses that depend on Disney that can't survive a 10 week shut down. For example,any companies that rent ECVs were already left struggling after Disney changed the rules (especially at Disneyland) on what companies could use bell services. 10 weeks of no income may literally make the difference between staying in business or closing up shop. If they close up shop, that is potentially hundreds of people unemployed right there, sure they might have been able to last 10 weeks, but not longer. This is just one of many, many examples of businesses that depend on Disney directly, then factor in that the people that work for these companies provide business to other companies and there is an indirect effect.

Add in all of the other shut downs, like theaters, concerts, etc. That not only had to cancel, but provide refunds to their patrons and the knock on effect from that and really we are talking massive problems, especially in an area that is as heavily dependent on the entertainment industry as Southern California is. We will end up with mass homelessness and it becomes quite clear how we we will have far more disease in the long run with what is currently being done. Remember this is going to only affect us for 10 weeks, for every week things are closed, we are looking at 2 - 12 weeks of negative economic impact at a minimum.

Everyone can afford to save if you make it a priority. It sucks while you're doing it, but it is necessary. We all make choices.

I work in the entertainment business. I'm dealing with all income shut down indefinitely. I hate it. But look around and see how stupid people got over toilet paper. Now imagine what happens when there's not enough hospital resources because we didn't flatten the curve. Knowing folks in Italy and what they are dealing with, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. If we don't see this through, then these sacrifices were in vain.

smooch

They quite literally have a plan for a Zombie Apocalypse, so I fail to see how Disney didn't have a plan for a global pandemic like this that would have allowed them to stay open and still protect public health.

Can you please show me this Zombie Apocalypse plan now, I need to know what they have in mind 🤣

Mac Tonight

Here I was, thinking that this was the place to briefly unwind from the viral storm we're weathering. Oh well.
And here we expose the true ugliness that shrouds the Disney Parks fandom. No matter how dire and disheartening things become in the real world, if there are two opposing forces of opinion, they will continue to fight. No matter what.

SuddenStorm

Any pictures of this? I have never noticed this and can't think of where this might be.

It's super hard to see unless you know where it is. I couldn't find any good photos, I'll look for videos that may show it in a bit but this photo shows the top part-

1584593258139.png

The water flows down the bottom of the mouth.

SuddenStorm

On my last visit in February I noticed that and was like is this new? The fire cannon was actually working so it made me look that direction.

It's been there since open. Not many notice it. I didn't know it existed until someone posted a close up photo online a year or two ago, but I couldn't find that photo when i searched.

cmwade77

Can you please show me this Zombie Apocalypse plan now, I need to know what they have in mind 🤣
I wish, I just know someone who saw it for themselves a few years back and had a great laugh about it for obvious reasons, but it is really there in the plans.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom